T Nation

3 Day Per Week Program to Get Big

I’m 6’7" and around 205 and looking for a good bodybuilding program to get aesthetics. I’m not even going to try to create my own since I’m sure there is a good one that I could plug in to. I have been doing SS for about a month or so but I think there has to be a better approach to bodybuilding than doing that program…

My lifts:
SQUAT: 195
DEAD: 205
BENCH: 140
PRESS: 100

You want “aesthetics”. So… zyzz, Steve Cook, Matt Christianer, Lazar… that kind of look?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
You want “aesthetics”. So… zyzz, Steve Cook, Matt Christianer, Lazar… that kind of look?[/quote]

Yeah something like that. Probably not even to that degree, but leaning in that direction.

This should do: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/strength_training_the_college_edition

But make no mistake about it: the one thing you should do to gain muscle right now is to get STRONGER. At 6’7, you’ll start to look muscular at a lean 210-225lbs - at that point, you should be able to at least squat 300, bench 200 and deadlift 400, Preferably more.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
This should do: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/strength_training_the_college_edition
[/quote]

That looks like a good program.

This.

There’s all sorts of bodybuilding splits that use higher rep ranges and higher volume to stimulate more size gains. And they work, and they work well.

But right now you should be focusing on strength training for two main reasons:

• you need to train your nervous system to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible
  • you need to simply be stronger so that if/when you move to a higher rep program, you can use heavier weights and get much more muscle stimulus out of those weights

I made the mistake of putting the cart before the horse, focusing on a more “bodybuilding” style program, before really building the strength I needed for it to be effective.

[quote]tallkid24 wrote:
I’m 6’7" and around 205 and looking for a good bodybuilding program to get aesthetics. I’m not even going to try to create my own since I’m sure there is a good one that I could plug in to.[/quote]
There are plenty of great programs out there, but you’re quite a ways outside of the “normal” lifter, so you’re definitely going to benefit form tweaking some things for your size.

Find a good program from the Archive, and then check these for some tips about adjustments that can help even more:

Also, you’re pretty skinny for someone your height, so nutrition is going to be huge (no pun intended). You’ve got a lot of real estate to fill in, so eat plenty and make sure the scale is moving up each and every week. This is a good starting point:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
[/quote]

That looks like a good program.

This.

There’s all sorts of bodybuilding splits that use higher rep ranges and higher volume to stimulate more size gains. And they work, and they work well.

But right now you should be focusing on strength training for two main reasons:

• you need to train your nervous system to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible
  • you need to simply be stronger so that if/when you move to a higher rep program, you can use heavier weights and get much more muscle stimulus out of those weights

I made the mistake of putting the cart before the horse, focusing on a more “bodybuilding” style program, before really building the strength I needed for it to be effective.[/quote]

So would you say it would be worth it to stick with SS for a while till I get my lifts high?

Just for reference and to get a better idea of where you’re at right now, the guy pictured above is 6’6" and 205.

How would you say you compare, bodyfat-wise, to him?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Just for reference and to get a better idea of where you’re at right now, the guy pictured above is 6’6" and 205.

How would you say you compare, bodyfat-wise, to him?[/quote]

He is definitely lower body fat than I. I don’t have as much definition in my muscles as him.

[quote]tallkid24 wrote:

He is definitely lower body fat than I. I don’t have as much definition in my muscles as him.[/quote]
Gotcha.

Whichever training plan you choose, you might want to consider some “damage control” cardio (nothing too intense, an easy-ish 20 or so minutes a few days a week) while gaining size, to keep a handle on any further fat gain.

I’m only new going on 5 months

The program I’m doing is pretty basic and I’ve gotten a lot stronger doing it the first llift on each day has 4 warm up sets and 2 working sets every other exercise has one warm up set of 6 and two working sets pretty simple and takes about 40min to do and I’ve my numbers have increased a lot

Back

Deadlift
close grip pulldown
asssited chin ups
BB rows
bb curls

Chest
Flat BB bench
DB incline
Flys
Dips
Close grip Bench

Legs
Squat
LegPress
Smith Machine Lunges
Stiff leg deadlift

[quote]tallkid24 wrote:

He is definitely lower body fat than I. I don’t have as much definition in my muscles as him.[/quote]
Gotcha.

Whichever training plan you choose, you might want to consider some “damage control” cardio (nothing too intense, an easy-ish 20 or so minutes a few days a week) while gaining size, to keep a handle on any further fat gain.[/quote]

I typically play basketball a few times a week, so I should be fine with that.