T Nation

3 Day Full Body Split Advice


#1

I'm going to start this tomorrow. I will be eating 2500 calories to start with and slowly add more as the weight goes up.

I can't bench or do dips (no bench at home, dips kill shoulders from previous baseball injury).

After digging through the forums and training logs, I pieced this together.

Will this program get me strong and more muscular as long as I eat right, lift consistently and recover?

I plan on doing this for 6 months without changing anything.

tuesday
-back squat 3x5
-pendlay row 3x5
-push ups 5xfailure
-abs + cardio

thursday
-front squat 3x5
-overhead press 3x5
-deadlift 3x5
-abs + cardio

saturday
-back squat 3x5
-bent over row 3x5
-shoulder circuit 3x10
-abs + cardio


#2

Short answer: yes. Long answer…

  1. Why no pull ups?
  2. what is the shoulder circuit? what are you doing for abs and cardio?

#3

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Short answer: yes. Long answer…

  1. Why no pull ups?

  2. what is the shoulder circuit? what are you doing for abs and cardio?[/quote]

  3. I do pull ups casually throughout the day generally so I didn’t think to add them to the workout. Maybe try to get 30 reps in after each workout?

  4. The shoulder circuit is doing front raises, lateral raises, and rear delt raises. I would do each one 3x10. Abs I’m thinking on tuesday doing hanging leg raises, thursday doing weighted sit ups, saturday doing planks? Cardio I was thinking maybe 5 sprints or running 2 miles.


#4

[quote]SR123 wrote:
I plan on doing this for 6 months without changing anything [/quote]

Except the load, right? Just wanting to make sure.

Also, do chin ups unless you’re injured and can’t.


#5

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]SR123 wrote:
I plan on doing this for 6 months without changing anything [/quote]

Except the load, right? Just wanting to make sure.

Also, do chin ups unless you’re injured and can’t. [/quote]

Oh course!!! I’m going to add 5 pounds per session to every workout to all the lifts.

I do pull-ups instead of chin ups. Should I switch it up or does it really matter?


#6

Add in Dumbbell Floor Presses if your dumbbells can hold enough weights. Great for chest and triceps.


#7

Yes I’ll be adding 5lbs to every session to every lift!!!

I don’t have dumbbells at all. I just have a 45lb barbell, squat stand, and a little over 300lbs worth of weights.


#8

vary the rep range, say every 3rd workout do high volume/5x20 etc


#9

[quote]SR123 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]SR123 wrote:
I plan on doing this for 6 months without changing anything [/quote]

Except the load, right? Just wanting to make sure.

Also, do chin ups unless you’re injured and can’t. [/quote]

Oh course!!! I’m going to add 5 pounds per session to every workout to all the lifts.

I do pull-ups instead of chin ups. Should I switch it up or does it really matter?
[/quote]

I doubt it matters too much. You may find switching between the two periodically and varying grip widths is beneficial.


#10

I would strongly advise not to do pull ups multiple times a day everyday. You can potentially screw up your shoulders or elbows in the long run.


#11

[quote]dt79 wrote:
I would strongly advise not to do pull ups multiple times a day everyday. You can potentially screw up your shoulders or elbows in the long run. [/quote]

I agree mostly, though I feel that duration is a significant factor.


#12

Also, I do not think you will put on overall upper body mass optimally with just push ups as a horizontal movement unless you are really heavy to begin with. Find a way to mount your barbell to do floor presses with minimal risk of death(hee hee).

Your best course of action would be to join a gym an do a balanced program like 531 if you want to maximize results. There is the added benefit of watching and interacting with accomplished lifters. Do not underestimate the importance of this.


#13

Thanks for all the input everyone! So after thinking about what everyone said and clearly defining my goals this is what I’ll be doing for the next 6 months. I’m currently 166 and I will clean bulk until 185 and then I will cut.

tuesday
-back squat 3x5
-overhead press 3x5
-pendlay row 5x5
-weighted sit ups 3x10
-15 min cardio

thursday
-front squat 3x5
-floor press 3x10
-deadlift 3x5
-chin ups 5xF
-hanging leg raises 3x10-15
-15 min cardio

saturday
-back squat 3x8
-bent over row 4x8
-shoulder circuit 3x10 (front, lateral, rear raises)
-planks
-15 min cardio


#14

[quote]SR123 wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone! So after thinking about what everyone said and clearly defining my goals this is what I’ll be doing for the next 6 months. I’m currently 166 and I will clean bulk until 185 and then I will cut.

tuesday
-back squat 3x5
-overhead press 3x5
-pendlay row 5x5
-weighted sit ups 3x10
-15 min cardio

thursday
-front squat 3x5
-floor press 3x10
-deadlift 3x5
-chin ups 5xF
-hanging leg raises 3x10-15
-15 min cardio

saturday
-back squat 3x8
-bent over row 4x8
-shoulder circuit 3x10 (front, lateral, rear raises)
-planks
-15 min cardio[/quote]

Looks good enough. Really focus on the first three exercises each workout, then do the rest with PERFECT FORM. There’s no need to strive for a bigger 10RM on weighted sit ups.


#15

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
I would strongly advise not to do pull ups multiple times a day everyday. You can potentially screw up your shoulders or elbows in the long run. [/quote]

I agree mostly, though I feel that duration is a significant factor.
[/quote]

I absolutely second this. Even doing pull ups almost every training day can mess up your elbows especially if you also squat with a close grip and pull your elbows forward. It takes very little time for this to happen and it really sucks when it does.