3 Compound Lifts in a Session

Hi forumers, i have once asked whether can i do deadlifts and barbell bench press in a single training session. NOw i gonna do something crazier, is that could i do deads, bench and squat all at the same workout session? will it have a detrimental effect on me? Should i only do these 3 lifts in my taining session and dont add in other isolation lifts like rows or deltoid work?

Thanks alL!

yes its possible.

but you have to ask yourself; “which do i really want to focus on?”

b/c with your last 2, you’ll have less energy and should probably take it easier on the weight/rep/set selection.

if you want to get stronger and bigger numbers…its wise to separate them: dead, bench, squat.

toss down an example of your workout you have planned for better help; this was very vague.

[quote]trick_1992 wrote:
Hi forumers, i have once asked whether can i do deadlifts and barbell bench press in a single training session. NOw i gonna do something crazier, is that could i do deads, bench and squat all at the same workout session? will it have a detrimental effect on me? Should i only do these 3 lifts in my taining session and dont add in other isolation lifts like rows or deltoid work?

Thanks alL![/quote]

You can try, but i would advise against Deadlifting and Squatting during the same session.

Rows are not considered “isolation work” and there are many compounds that put stress on your shoulders.

You definitely should do some sort of upper body pulling movement (e.g. rows) and you could add some sort of isolation exercise for your delts (e.g. front or lateral raises).

Compound and isolation work, even for the same muscle group in the same workout (e.g. doing cable pulldowns after doing Bench Press) is fine, depending on your goals.

If you lift mainly for aesthetic purposes, you have to add isolation movements to get optimal results, if you lift for athletic reasons it depends on your goal, for fat-loss and similar motivations i would advise against isolation work because it is the least time-efficient.

[quote]trick_1992 wrote:

Thanks alL![/quote]

Give it a try and see if it works. Your body will let you know if it works or not.

If you have the energy to get that third workout in, then go for it.

3 compound lifts in a session for me is pushing it. Not only are you probably not getting as much as you could out of your 3rd lift since you are so tired, for me at least there are safety/form issues as well. If I really push myself on say deadlifts and bench press and then try to squat I probably will have some trouble holding good form even if I go light.

I guess it does depend on the compounds though too - certain ones aren’t as draining as deadlifts, bench and squats so you’ll be able to push yourself fine.

It really depends on how often you do such a session, how heavy you’re going, and what your goals are. For example, I’m doing Rippietoe’s right now, three days a week. Every other workout is 3x5 Squats, 3x5 Bench, 1x5 deads, and 2x8 dips. Even though I’m lifting as heavy as I can, in the grand scheme of things, I’m not using that much weight. If I had more time under the bar and was going heavier (300 lb bench, 400 lb squat, 500lb dead), I probably wouldn’t be able to handle that kind of workout. As a relatively new lifter, I’ve seen some very good strength gains, but I’ll have to move them to different workouts as I get more advanced if I want to see optimal gains.

I did it all the time while following Starting Strength as well. It caught up to me after about 6 straight weeks. So yes, it is possible.

[quote]trick_1992 wrote:
[/quote]

You can absolutely do that! You probably won’t do any of them very well but you like the crazy stuff so go for it!

But why are you asking us? You have read what the members have recommend 1000’s of times and now this. What is the real reason why you made this post?

If you can squat, dead, and bench in the same session, you’re just not pushing yourself hard enough.

[quote]pachell wrote:
If you can squat, dead, and bench in the same session, you’re just not pushing yourself hard enough.[/quote]

Ever Heard of Sheiko?

[quote]pachell wrote:
If you can squat, dead, and bench in the same session, you’re just not pushing yourself hard enough.[/quote]

baseless assumption. You’re rep scheme, and you’re own ability determine this. Myself, and several others have done this with success.

MY ME press workout looks like:

-ME press variation (bb b ench, floorpress, etc up to a heavy triple or less

-military press 3-4x5-3

-dumbell bench3x8-10

-tricep extentions 3x5-10

holy shit compounds movments, There’s no way I can possibly make progression!

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

-military press 3-4x5-3

-dumbell bench3x8-10

holy shit compounds movments, There’s no way I can possibly make progression![/quote]

Dude! You must be on roidz like creatine to do all that volume!

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

-military press 3-4x5-3

-dumbell bench3x8-10

holy shit compounds movments, There’s no way I can possibly make progression!

Dude! You must be on roidz like creatine to do all that volume![/quote]

no kidding. Some of the shit people come up with is rediculous.

A note:
-do compounds
-do isolations to make sure you aren’t neglecting anything
-Put everything possible into every excersize
-don’t be lazy
-EAT FOOD, HAVE OFF DAYS

hooray for logic.

OK, i admit, i have never ever tried 3 compunds in a single session before. Yes, i am going for aesthitics only.

BTW i’m 5’6-5’7
and my bodyweight is 143lbs

Yeah, and i’m not fat at all. I’m going to the gym 2hours from now, and i think i would stick to
Deads 1x5
Benchpress 5x7
bent over rows 6x7
DB rows 6x7

Lifting heavy so low reps

[quote]trick_1992 wrote:
OK, i admit, i have never ever tried 3 compunds in a single session before. Yes, i am going for aesthitics only.

BTW i’m 5’6-5’7
and my bodyweight is 143lbs

Yeah, and i’m not fat at all. I’m going to the gym 2hours from now, and i think i would stick to
Deads 1x5
Benchpress 5x7
bent over rows 6x7
DB rows 6x7

Lifting heavy so low reps[/quote]

dude you’re 143 pounds.

pull,press, squat, and so a few extra lifts so you don’t neglect anything. Eat food. You’ll grow, I swear.

you have good lifts picked, but you need a vertical pull and press, squats, and if you feel a certain muscle isn’t beign developed to it’s potential, DO NOT be afraid to do extra lifts to bring it up, this doesn’t meen curl everyday though.

yeah i got that bout the “curl” thing. Thats why i dun give a damn bout curling. I 've been training for 3months now, and deadlifts has really increased my bodyweight like 15 pounds. Yes i eat. and grow i did.

lemme intro myself then
Age 16
Height 173cm
Weight 65kg
Deadlift: 110kg
benchpress: 60kg
Squat: 80kg

I know its crappy, but gimme some leeway

yeah tats all any more advice

[quote]trick_1992 wrote:
yeah i got that bout the “curl” thing. Thats why i dun give a damn bout curling. I 've been training for 3months now, and deadlifts has really increased my bodyweight like 15 pounds. Yes i eat. and grow i did.

lemme intro myself then
Age 16
Height 173cm
Weight 65kg
Deadlift: 110kg
benchpress: 60kg
Squat: 80kg

I know its crappy, but gimme some leeway

yeah tats all any more advice[/quote]

you’re my age, keep eating and keep growing, you haven’t gotten close to you’re peak yet. When you start lifting at our age, you’re potential is huge. BUst your ass, and give it time man. You, and me will both get there someday.

arite my man, thanks for your advice and concern, heading to the gym now. bailing out!

[quote]pachell wrote:

u shud pm chat waturbury loll