T Nation

3% Body Fat

I have a friend, he doesn’t lift weights at all but he runs a lot

he says he took an online test that said he was 3% bodyfat. He told me at most he was 5% bodyfat. I tried to explain going below 4% can be dangerous and there’s no way he’s walking around everyday at 3%. He’s 5’8 and about 120 pounds.

So is it even possible?

It is very possible that he needs to eat some food.

haha i know right

he just won’t believe me though, i gave up after 10 minutes. I was just wondering, can an average person who just runs expect to walk around at 3 or 5% year round?

Online Test? Does he have electrodes and skin calipers hooked into his USB port? Unless your friend is covered with veins, has christmas tree detail in his lower back region, and has a 64 pack there’s no way he’s god 3% bodyfat. Unless you’re starving or on a specialized diet where you measure all your food, it’s unlikley you’re below 8%

its probably a bit higher than that but still super lean, except hes 120lbs… so like it doesn’t matter

I used to hover around 3% (mostly under that) before I discovered food (and heavy things).

An online test. . .

Sounds reliable.

I had a friend who was measured at around 4% senior year of high school. He lifted regularly, and was about 150-something lbs at 5’6", and looked pretty ridiculous with his shirt off.

Shirt on? Didn’t look like he lifted, really, except for some bitchin’ forearms.

LOL! An online test?!

Have you seen y our friend? does he look 3% if so then he probably is.

It’s not as dangerous for everybody to be 3% bodyfat. It’s probably more dangerous for a 200lb man to be 3% then a 120lb man.

It could be dangerous if he decides to diet though.

If you know why RM calculators suck, you’ll know why you shouldn’t believe your friend.

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
I have a friend, he doesn’t lift weights at all but he runs a lot

he says he took an online test that said he was 3% bodyfat. He told me at most he was 5% bodyfat. I tried to explain going below 4% can be dangerous and there’s no way he’s walking around everyday at 3%. He’s 5’8 and about 120 pounds.

So is it even possible?[/quote]

At 5’8" and 120, does it matter what his bodyfat is? My dick weighs more than he does.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
LOL! An online test?![/quote]

Whats so funny? Those tests never lie.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Liston wrote:
I used to hover around 3% (mostly under that) before I discovered food (and heavy things).[/quote]

Bullshit.

Look, very very few people are even as low as 6% BF naturally. Those that have to do a specialized diet to get that low frequently feel unenergetic. At 4%, you’re at competition level.

Unless you can see every single detail in your friend’s muscles, every vein on the surface of his body (I’m talking facial veins, spider web detail on his delts, trapz, the works), there’s no way in hell he’s 3%. Unless he’s a miracle of god, but even the, I hear Jesus was a natural 7%.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
Look, very very few people are even as low as 6% BF naturally. Those that have to do a specialized diet to get that low frequently feel unenergetic. At 4%, you’re at competition level.

Unless you can see every single detail in your friend’s muscles, every vein on the surface of his body (I’m talking facial veins, spider web detail on his delts, trapz, the works), there’s no way in hell he’s 3%. Unless he’s a miracle of god, but even the, I hear Jesus was a natural 7%.[/quote]

That’s basically what i told him. He said he doesn’t look like that because [name], another one of my friends is much more vascular and has 7% (actually measured by a doctor plus he looks it so i can believe he’s around 7) but that friend has more muscle. I said if you were 3% we could see muscles in your face so he said “bruce lee was 1% body fat and I can’t see muscles in his face.”

I am probably around 9 (just a guess) and I have veins in my shoulders and chest, he doesn’t.

Listen, im 186 pounds, 14 years old, i look 150, and i bench a 1RM of 167 as of saturday, and attempting a higher weight tomorrow (wish me luck) I have a fairly high BMI (somewhere around 20 or 25) and i have veins in my arms, shoulders, upper pecs, etc. Having fat doesnt nesessarily mean your veins arent going to show. It all depends on your body…

BMI has nothing to do with BF%.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
BMI has nothing to do with BF%.[/quote]

Exactly. BMI is a total bust when someone has a lot of muscle on their body. Usually the BMI indicates that the person is obese. Also, 14 year olds should do more reading before posting