T Nation

3 Basic Exercises?

I have a dumbell I can load up to 35kg. That's all I can fit on it.

If I were to do pushups, rows, and goblet squats for 1 set everyday aiming to increase reps until I can afford a barbell/more weights do you think this would be any good?

Im saying one set a day 5-6 days a week because I have recently started to lose motivation with lifting and I am finding myself not enjoying doing multiple sets of exercises 3 das a week.

If you are already losing motivation, then just give up now. You might not have the will power and true desire to be a lifter.

I don’t lift to be a lifter, more as part of a generalised, relaxed fitness/health kind of thing. In my view surly a little bit is better than nothing and if I’m still progressing I’ll still be gaining or maintaining the function of my body. I find doing less, more often allows me to continue whereas otherwise I’d give up and become a couch potatoe.

Spend your time on something else you have a real interest in. This sport is not for you. You will not progress without the required drive for it.

I can’t help but agree with the guys here. In a weird sort of way, truly effective weight lifting has to become a part of your life – your habits and routines.

I see what you’re saying about a moderate, holistic approach. That kind of training is not what this site is for.

Consider looking into calisthenics and/or yoga. Both are great systems for general health. I’ve done a lot of both myself in the past.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I have a dumbell I can load up to 35kg. That’s all I can fit on it.

If I were to do pushups, rows, and goblet squats for 1 set everyday aiming to increase reps until I can afford a barbell/more weights do you think this would be any good?

Im saying one set a day 5-6 days a week because I have recently started to lose motivation with lifting and I am finding myself not enjoying doing multiple sets of exercises 3 das a week. [/quote]

So on one hand you speak of working until you can afford a barbell or more weights, but on the other you mention “not enjoying multiple sets of exercises 3 days a week” - why would you bother buying more weights then?

I would say that yes, you can do quite well with a single dumbbell loaded to 35 kg if you put some effort into it. Simple and Sinister is a kettlebell routine that uses two movements (swings and Turkish get-ups). I would say that yes, you could do quite well for generalized fitness doing some pushups, rows, goblet squats, and Turkish get-ups. I think a little more than 1 set of each per day, though. You really can’t manage something like 100-150 pushups, 5x10 rows per arm, and 5x10 goblet squats plus a few Turkish get-ups with each arm?

For general fitness, anything is better than nothing. So, since the goal is very general, it would work. Don’t expect to look great or be strong from doing this, but if this is all you can and/or will do - do it.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
For general fitness, anything is better than nothing. So, since the goal is very general, it would work. Don’t expect to look great or be strong from doing this, but if this is all you can and/or will do - do it.[/quote]

I disagree. It will work, but since you’re doing this from a quality of life point of view, why not find something you enjoy? You ain’t getting big and strong anytime soon if you don’t enjoy lifting, so go join a 5 a side league, play a sport, get a mountain bike, find something that’s fun to you.

It sounds like you may just be losing motivation because the only way you’ve decided to challenge yourself is to add more sets/reps. There are many other ways to challenge yourself too.

I can go down to a used sporting goods store and pick up a used olympic barbell for around $50, and weight plates for around $.80/lb. There may be some options like that near you. How long would it take to come up with the money?

In the short term, you may want to look into some more advanced calisthenics routines, using bodyweight only. There are plenty of ways to use leverages and instability to make things fairly difficult.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
For general fitness, anything is better than nothing. So, since the goal is very general, it would work. Don’t expect to look great or be strong from doing this, but if this is all you can and/or will do - do it.[/quote]

I disagree. It will work, but since you’re doing this from a quality of life point of view, why not find something you enjoy? You ain’t getting big and strong anytime soon if you don’t enjoy lifting, so go join a 5 a side league, play a sport, get a mountain bike, find something that’s fun to you.[/quote]

I don’t think we’re in disagreement here. It is definitely not ideal nor will it be enjoyable in the long run - but if he wants to do it, it (physically) beats doing nothing.

OP, to clarify - there are many ways to stay physically active. If lifting is not for you, play sports. Get a pair of gymnastic rings. Whatever. Again, what you suggested will work - but neither will it work very well nor will it be enjoyable.

As far as what to do with what you have… you can look into doing ladders, or even look at applying the “fighter pullup routine” to those exercises.

As far as ladders:

One ladder: Do a rep. Rest a few seconds. Do two reps. Rest a few seconds. Do three reps. Rest a few seconds.

Then repeat, starting back at one rep.

So: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Or: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3.

Over time, work up to ladders with more and more reps in the top set. Or do more ladders. Or do both. It’s a much more enjoyable way to get reps in than just adding a rep per day.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I don’t lift to be a lifter, more as part of a generalised, relaxed fitness/health kind of thing. In my view surly a little bit is better than nothing and if I’m still progressing I’ll still be gaining or maintaining the function of my body. I find doing less, more often allows me to continue whereas otherwise I’d give up and become a couch potatoe. [/quote]

That’s not the point.

Ecchastang’s point was that you lack the motivation to do anything when it comes to physical exercise, which seems to be true.

I don’t have any real ambition to be a lifter either. I still go to the gym 6 times a week and do exactly what I planned. The only time I don’t go is when I’m sick or the weather is bad.

Physical health is best achieved (imo) when you just make it into a part of your life. Don’t look at weight training as something you do for fun, but rather something you just have to do.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I don’t lift to be a lifter, more as part of a generalised, relaxed fitness/health kind of thing. In my view surly a little bit is better than nothing and if I’m still progressing I’ll still be gaining or maintaining the function of my body. I find doing less, more often allows me to continue whereas otherwise I’d give up and become a couch potatoe. [/quote]

That’s not the point.

Ecchastang’s point was that you lack the motivation to do anything when it comes to physical exercise, which seems to be true.

I don’t have any real ambition to be a lifter either. I still go to the gym 6 times a week and do exactly what I planned. The only time I don’t go is when I’m sick or the weather is bad.

Physical health is best achieved (imo) when you just make it into a part of your life. Don’t look at weight training as something you do for fun, but rather something you just have to do.[/quote]

Ummm no that is the point. I’m very physically active, and I’m actually doing weights to supplement regular running, sprinting and hiking as well as whatever else physical is going. I just hate the gym and having a very organised routine, it’s not for me. My question was would what I proposed be any good … I know for certain it isn’t optimal to achieve hulk strength but that isn’t my aim - my aim is just general fitness.

Thanks for all of the other suggestions. I was looking at starting boxing or fencing when I graduate which I was hoping to start whilst at uni but I have struggled with my course and spent most of my time working and then spending as much time with my lady as possible. Hence why I want a short sweet strength routine that I can whizz through whilst still gaining some benefit.

Ever consider tabata burpees? You won’t need any equipment, it’s short, and it’ll get you in some decent shape. If you can keep count, try to get more burpees in each 20 second cycle, or go for a higher total amount. Might be helpful to video tape yourself to get a count, just because I tend to become mentally deficient the longer it goes on, haha.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Ever consider tabata burpees? You won’t need any equipment, it’s short, and it’ll get you in some decent shape. If you can keep count, try to get more burpees in each 20 second cycle, or go for a higher total amount. Might be helpful to video tape yourself to get a count, just because I tend to become mentally deficient the longer it goes on, haha.[/quote]

Never thought to do that, I’ve done the original Tabata sprints on a stationary bike and I thought I was going to puke haha. I’ll give the burpees a try, I can imagine they are effective but torture!

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I have a dumbell I can load up to 35kg. That’s all I can fit on it.

Im saying one set a day 5-6 days a week because I have recently started to lose motivation with lifting and I am finding myself not enjoying doing multiple sets of exercises 3 das a week. [/quote]

google javorek’s barbell complexes and do those.

Takes like 5 minutes to do and it’ll totally ruin you. You could do that once a day, every day and get in alright shape, I reckon.

See Weight plate or Waterbury complex…

I completely forgot about complexes. Thanks! They are perfect for me. I can just do em and get it over with.
I have also acquired a shitty little barbell with some extra plastic weights which I can now use for squats in the garden. Complexes it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.