3-5x8-12 = 24-60?

Does 3-58-12 intend to be anywhere from 24 total reps (38) to 60 (512)? Or is that programming meaning around 40 total reps (312, 410, 58)? Seems intensity is similar for those but quite different for 24 vs 60… Thanks!

context? What program are you talking about?

None in particular, but many have parameters 2-36-8, etc. I’m just trying to verify that 3-58-12 implies a moderate intensity for 3-5 sets. I’m figuring 38 is much different than 512. Or perhaps those are all close enough for the hypertrophy range…?

No they don’t, and if they do, they can’t be that good of a program.

Again, which program are you doing? Context?

And the above is way different question. You seem to be confused what ranges actually are.

you’re asking a nonsensical question. You need more specifics. Way too general. Your question needs to be applied in the context of a program.

1 Like

Because this leeway is so common from so many coaches (links below), I’m guessing that because its hypertrophy work, the details aren’t precise. Just trying to verify that I shouldn’t worry about the specifics (as Wendler says: Majoring in the minors). Thx.

Jim Wendler “Rule of 50; Rule of 10” from Beyond 5/3/1 as well as 50-100 reps https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers
Charles Staley: How Many Reps Should I Do?
Christian Thibaudeau “4-5 sets of 8-10 reps” 3 Ways to Get Big!
Bret Contreras “3-4 sets of 6-10 reps” The Very Best Way to Build Your Chest
Paul Carter “3-5 sets of 8-12” Tip: Make This Decision, Make More Gains
Chris Shugart Tip: Use the 40 Reps Method for Growth
Chad Waterbury The 25 Method
“8-12 regular reps on a given exercise. Do this for 2-3 sets” This Is Why You're Not Jacked
The 3 Essential Workout Methods for Muscle

[quote=“ns182, post:6, topic:228191”]
Just trying to verify that I shouldn’t worry about the specifics (as Wendler says: Majoring in the minors)[/quote]
I don’t think it’s so much that you’re majoring in the minors (though that’s definitely a big part of it). You’re missing the forest for the trees. You can’t just look at one set/rep scheme that’s recommended for one particular exercise without taking the program, its goal, the load, and total training volume into consideration.

Some of those articles you linked might seem vague or confusing because they’re intentionally only addressing one topic, but some of them do explain why they’re suggesting whatever they suggest. And some do clarify their recommendations but you missed it.

For example: [quote]Christian Thibaudeau “4-5 sets of 8-10 reps” https://www.t-nation.com/training/3-ways-to-get-big[/quote]
literally says “The second rule is that the lower the reps per set, the more sets you do.”

[quote]Chris Shugart Tip: Use the 40 Reps Method for Growth
Chad Waterbury The 25 Method [/quote]
Both of these articles very clearly emphasize the role that load (weight) plays in the set/rep scheme, and explain how that influences the end result.

Also says “Try starting with 4-6 exercises per training session to address areas that need the most work.” Which means you need to look at total training volume, not just the volume for whatever individual exercise you’re doing.

Not every article is going to take the time discussing the details of overall program design, because at a certain point, you need to expect readers to have a basic grasp of certain fundamentals. And not for nothing, but if you’ve been lifting for a few years (looks like you’re a member for about 4), you should at least sort of understand how training volume works.

Thanks for the reply!