3/4x a Week Lifting

I would love for someone to point me towards a 3x or even 4x a week program (either full body or split). Long story short, i have a fucked up work schedule with 16 hour days.

I am cutting now, but after some reading and my other forum topic i’v learned its more the diet that does the cutting than anything.

3x full body or 4x a week split. I am also really bad at making my own programs…

Here is a template that allows you to make it your own without having to do it from scratch if you want to do a 4 day split. Hope it helps.

What is your goal with this program?

I am cutting/dropping body fat.

My schedule right now is mon-thursday i work 16 hours. By the end of the night i really have zero energy to hit the weights, but i push myself as hard as i can anyway. A 3x a week or 4 day split (effective one) would be ideal. I spend my weekend studying and working as well.

A winning lottery ticket would also be helpful

Try this…

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Try this…
https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/10-x-3-for-fat-loss[/quote]

This

Although I think for your purposes, any strength based routine will work fine, the big gains will come with your diet.

Dan John’s mass made simple…lite.

[quote]JumanjiJim wrote:
My schedule right now is mon-thursday i work 16 hours.[/quote]
16 hours a day for those four days straight? That sucks and it’ll be a challenge, but you’re already making the right decision trying to figure out a way to work through it.

For perspective, what’s your current height, weight, and general fat level?

I’d consider something like 5/3/1 twice a week, with some simple conditioning/cardio on one or two other non-lifting days:

Either the twice a week plus a third “assistance” session, or just the “Weekend Only” plan he setup there. Also, with busy days like yours, meal prep will be a major make or break factor. Taking the time to get your meals ready one day for the whole week will help keep you on track.

[quote]JumanjiJim wrote:
I am cutting now
[…]
I am cutting/dropping body fat.
[/quote]

[quote]kaijugo wrote:
Dan John’s mass made simple…lite.[/quote]
Are you sure you wanna suggest that?

Chris- educate me as to why not, please? I don’t mean that to sound confrontational by the way, just eager to learn. I think that the ‘lite’ version could fit the OP’s aims well. I’ve used it when time has been tight and im happy with where it has got me, if its a case that you don’t think it’ll fit for fat loss (op says he’s loosing so on the right track diet wise) I also see no issues in controlling food intake.

I think its a good programme that has potential to suit a wide range of aims- keeping exercise selection simple, only 3 days a week, full body and the added bonus of a nice mental boost (for me anyway) I do however think that Chris’s pointer to 531 is a good point and as we all know Chris is a font of knowledge.

Any potential to work out before work and cram down a load of food? Just a thought that may not suit…

[quote]kaijugo wrote:
Any potential to work out before work and cram down a load of food? Just a thought that may not suit…[/quote]

You seem to have totally missed the OP’s prime goal, which is to lose weight. Neither cramming down food, nor mass made simple, fit these goals in my opinion.

Off topic, I have never heard of mass made simple “lite” but I immediately don’t like the idea. It seems to jar completely with the philosophy of the program as I see it.

[quote]kaijugo wrote:
Chris- educate me as to why not, please?[/quote]
Quite simply (pun intended), Mass Made Simple Lite is the wrong tool for the job. And I’d wager a double Scotch that Dan John would agree.

A weight training program that’s intentionally-designed to maximize strength and bodyweight gains is counter-productive when the lifter wants to lose bodyfat. It’s also why I disagree with people trying to cut while running Starting Strength.

MMSL, which was published on T-Nation as “The 10 Secrets of Building Mass” ( 10 Secrets to Building Mass ) is a solid full-body program and full body weight training routines can absolutely be killer for fat loss, but it’s also designed to increase bodyweight and move heavier loads each week, and that’s not likely to happen when recovery is impacted by a calorie deficit.

For sure, the MMSL/10 Secrets routine has big calorie-burners/hard conditioning exercises like farmer’s walks and DB clean and presses (which are brutal by themselves, ahem, The Biggest Exercise in Bodybuilding ) but the general layout (exercise choice and volume) and overall intention of the program make it inconsistent with shooting for fat loss.

FWIW, 5/3/1 is also generally considered a “strength” program, but the template is so versatile that it’s more adaptable to cutting (limited accessory work, increased conditioning, etc.) which is why I felt it was a decent alternative.

Man, if I’m a font of knowledge, it’s probably Comic Sans. But thanks. :wink:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Man, if I’m a font of knowledge, it’s probably Comic Sans. But thanks. ;)[/quote]

Dude… Be happy. You could have been a Fonz of knowledge.
Or a fondue of knowledge.
I’ll stop here.

Fonz of knowledge, that would be great. Point taken,you’ve added to my thought process and I’m sure to many others so big thanks for that Chris.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
]

You seem to have totally missed the OP’s prime goal, which is to lose weight. Neither cramming down food, nor mass made simple, fit these goals in my opinion.

Off topic, I have never heard of mass made simple “lite” but I immediately don’t like the idea. It seems to jar completely with the philosophy of the program as I see it.[/quote]

Just trying to gauge when the op can fit in the workout. By cramming down food I also mean when can the op get in the appropriate foods to aid recovery and allow work.

I currently sit at 240lbs, 6 foot 1, and body between 15-20%? i have been told im pretty “built” i guess.

I have debated getting my lifts in the morning before work, but fuck me that would make for a long ass day…

5/3/1? isnt that a 5x a week program?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]kaijugo wrote:
Chris- educate me as to why not, please?[/quote]
Quite simply (pun intended), Mass Made Simple Lite is the wrong tool for the job. And I’d wager a double Scotch that Dan John would agree.

A weight training program that’s intentionally-designed to maximize strength and bodyweight gains is counter-productive when the lifter wants to lose bodyfat. It’s also why I disagree with people trying to cut while running Starting Strength.

MMSL, which was published on T-Nation as “The 10 Secrets of Building Mass” ( 10 Secrets to Building Mass ) is a solid full-body program and full body weight training routines can absolutely be killer for fat loss, but it’s also designed to increase bodyweight and move heavier loads each week, and that’s not likely to happen when recovery is impacted by a calorie deficit.

For sure, the MMSL/10 Secrets routine has big calorie-burners/hard conditioning exercises like farmer’s walks and DB clean and presses (which are brutal by themselves, ahem, The Biggest Exercise in Bodybuilding ) but the general layout (exercise choice and volume) and overall intention of the program make it inconsistent with shooting for fat loss.

FWIW, 5/3/1 is also generally considered a “strength” program, but the template is so versatile that it’s more adaptable to cutting (limited accessory work, increased conditioning, etc.) which is why I felt it was a decent alternative.

Man, if I’m a font of knowledge, it’s probably Comic Sans. But thanks. ;)[/quote]

[quote]JumanjiJim wrote:
5/3/1? isnt that a 5x a week program?
[/quote]

Nope.

really? so how does one do 5/3/1 for bench, squat. deadlift and press? i assume 2 of each on lets say tuesday/thursday?

[quote]JumanjiJim wrote:
really? so how does one do 5/3/1 for bench, squat. deadlift and press? i assume 2 of each on lets say tuesday/thursday?[/quote]

Those are 4 lifts. If you did 1 each day, it would only be a 4x a week program.

You can also condense it into a 3x or 2x a week program. It’s pretty flexible.