T Nation

3/12/07 C&J Session Video

For the guys that don’t venture in to the Oly thread much. Videos of heavy Hang Clean and Jerks and normal C&J. The start of a heavy week for me

Video of 03/12/07 session that went with this session:

===========

3rd December 2007: Evening C&J: Heaviest of the year!

Dynamic warm ups

Hang Clean and Jerks doubles up to 125Kg!
Bar work
40kg x 2reps
60kg x 1rep + 1 Jerk
80kg x 1rep

95kg x 2reps : easy
100kg x 2reps : easy
108kg x 2reps : easy
115kg x 2reps : solid Jerks
122kg x 2reps : harder but good Jerks
125kg x 1/2reps : failed the 2nd Jerk, the cumalative weights affecting me, I felt tired on the 2nd Jerk, but I didn’t really extend my front foot and get my hips through, back leg was bent nicely but the hips were left behind = your going to miss the Jerk, gutted I missed it sad.gif

Clean and Jerks
120kg x 1rep : Clean felt kind of weird from the floor, easy Jerk
127kg x 1rep : Clean felt better, Jerk felt good
135kg x 1rep : good Clean, solid Jerk, very happy. Ties with PB training C&J back around in February : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDtHqOFhBI but I only singled up heavy and do a lot of lifts before it. Not like today.

Rested for 4mins

Clean Pulls with 3second Pause on lower thigh
120kg x 2reps

135kg x 4reps
142.5kg x 3reps : solid
152.5kg x 3reps : really good, sharp finish and full extension with hips and a big shrug
165kg x 3reps : good, 3rd rep a lot harder
165kg x 3reps : 2nd and 3rd rep a lot harder

Fire alarm went so we had to wait outside for 15mins?

Warmed back up in the gym doing some stretchs and I was coaching a new guy

Clean Pulls fast, no pause
120kg x 2reps
140kg x 2reps

152kg x 2reps : good
152kg x 2reps : good

Isometric Snatch Pull, mid shin height
6seconds
6seconds
6seconds
6seconds

Incline twisting situps
12reps
12reps
12reps

mess about exercises
Dragon flags x 3 + 1 negative
Bulk offs x 3reps
Wind mill leg raises from a pull up bar x 4reps (for lack of a better description, you hang on a pull up bar, your legs go from one side all the way up and down to the other side, now you reverse direction and then repeat, I think these are like “choppers” that you do on the ground whilst holding a barbell in your hands to counterbalance? But the ones I do are hanging from a pull up bar, very hard exercise to do properly)

Inversion
3mins to deload my back.

Awesome session. Gutted I missed the 2nd Jerk on the Hang Clean and Jerks. I was tired but could have had it. Next time!

The 135Kg was the most I’ve lifted in training also, but this time with a lot of volume behind it. I’m feeling explosive and sharp. The Jerks are textbook and sharp. I’ve come a long way since my ropey Jerking, in only about 9months? Before I’d struggle to hit a single for 120Kg in training now I’m all over it for a double from the Hang also. My Cleans are fast and I can get under some good weights but it was my Jerk that was holding me back. Now I am up to a level where my Jerks are solid and consistent biggrin.gif

I’ve Hang Cleaned 142.5kg also so I’m good for 150kg from the floor. Maybe even 155Kg? We’ll find out sometime biggrin.gif

Koing

Great videos. Keep up the good work.

sweet. always cool to see.

Looking strong. The only thing I could see wrong was you bring your knees inward in the recieve portion. However, the rest of your form looks solid. I wish I could get under the weight as fast as you. Can I ask what you do for speed?

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:
Looking strong. The only thing I could see wrong was you bring your knees inward in the recieve portion. However, the rest of your form looks solid. I wish I could get under the weight as fast as you. Can I ask what you do for speed?[/quote]

The knees coming in is because I’m not massively strong. For me it is a lot easier to keep the knees out on the lighter weights. But I’m working on this but it’s lower down on my list of things to fix for the moment. It was the Jerk, but that is strong now. Next up is consistency in the Snatch!

Bar work and technique is the key for speed under the bar. Once you have drilled it enough you will have the confidence to pull under big weights fast. I’ve Hang Cleaned 142.5Kg so speed under the bar is good for me so far compared to my other %.

People don’t pull fast under the bar first because they have not done ENOUGH BAR WORK. If you can’t pull under a 20kg bar or 50% weight VERY fast HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PULL UNDER 80% of your Clean fast from the Hang? The truth is you won’t as you’ll be thinking f0ck I’m going to hurt myself.

Work the bar work. Lots of lighter weights and increase your weights up then hammer it out on the bigger weights to see what weights you can handle.

Koing

Love the grunting, you are VERY strong.

Wow. I’m very impressed by your technique :smiley: Especially on the second pull, very nice. You do seem to start with your hips a bit high from the floor, is that something you have found works better for you then “by the book” starts?

I have to say now that I’m NOT criticizing your technique, which as I said is awesome I’m just curious how you found out that it works for you.

And also, you gotta teach those guys in the background a thing or two about lifting :smiley:

Yeah, Love everything you do, Koing, but can you please teach those gym weenies to not do crooked bar bench presses in a power rack with 30kg??? lol Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Yeah, Love everything you do, Koing, but can you please teach those gym weenies to not do crooked bar bench presses in a power rack with 30kg??? lol Doc[/quote]

I was thinking that, but then again they all seemed transfixed by what Koing was doing so I’m sure they’ll be asking some questions soon.

very nice koing, good work as always. jerk looks a HELL of a lot better then it was when I first started watching you earlier in the year.

your pull looks like one of the 77kg lifters at my club, hips very high at the start and fast as fuck under!

i just bookmarked that youtube page, that will be a great pump up vid for the next time i try and set a Clean PR awesome work

when you hang clean how do you rip the weight up so quickly is it alot of hamstring action? also since we have a bunch of oly lifters looking at this tread do you guys actually ‘upright row’ the weight to get it up to the front squat position or is it more sitting down to get your body lower then the weight?

to generalize olympic lifting looks sweet but at the moment my form on cleans looks like shit and i dont think i could snatch more then the bar

Great stuff, thanks for sharing

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
i just bookmarked that youtube page, that will be a great pump up vid for the next time i try and set a Clean PR awesome work

when you hang clean how do you rip the weight up so quickly is it alot of hamstring action? also since we have a bunch of oly lifters looking at this tread do you guys actually ‘upright row’ the weight to get it up to the front squat position or is it more sitting down to get your body lower then the weight?

to generalize olympic lifting looks sweet but at the moment my form on cleans looks like shit and i dont think i could snatch more then the bar[/quote]

there is no upright row action involved. its all in the pull and the shrug and pulling yourself under. the weight moves really fast cuz he is utilizing the stretch reflex of the hamstrings.

Nice work koing. Very impressive lifts and weights, and your technique is superb. Keep rockin.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Love the grunting, you are VERY strong. [/quote]

[quote]Muppet wrote:
Wow. I’m very impressed by your technique :smiley: Especially on the second pull, very nice. You do seem to start with your hips a bit high from the floor, is that something you have found works better for you then “by the book” starts?

I have to say now that I’m NOT criticizing your technique, which as I said is awesome I’m just curious how you found out that it works for you.

And also, you gotta teach those guys in the background a thing or two about lifting :D[/quote]

I’m quite strong, not very strong. My mate James is very strong, 202kg back squat! PC 140kg like nothing @ 95kg

lol, yes the grunting is part and part of my lifting :stuck_out_tongue:

I start with my hips high as I then create the angle for the 2nd pull. Shorter guys (most pro’s) start lower as they have shorter limb lengths relative to me. I’ve only been doing the higher hips due to my coach for the past 4yrs or so. I did start with lower hips but I have adjusted it.

If I was shorter I’d have different technique. Most guys just copy the pro’s but if you have different limb lengths it isn’t the way forwards imo. Scrapping the bar up your shins isn’t good techinque. Or having the bar move AROUND YOUR SHINS because your ass is sat down so low as you don’t have the limb lengths of a pro.

I start with higher hips and my shoulders over the bar. For me this helps create the angle with my shoulders over the bar to pull in to do a good second pull.

[quote]Wordwreckin wrote:
Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Yeah, Love everything you do, Koing, but can you please teach those gym weenies to not do crooked bar bench presses in a power rack with 30kg??? lol Doc

I was thinking that, but then again they all seemed transfixed by what Koing was doing so I’m sure they’ll be asking some questions soon.[/quote]

haha, those guys are actually the club lifters! They are all National level also, bro is 2nd or 3rd, other guy is 3rd and the smaller guy has qualified for next years Nationals. They were messing about doing high rep stuff with the cambered bar for BP = more range for them.

Koing

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
i just bookmarked that youtube page, that will be a great pump up vid for the next time i try and set a Clean PR awesome work

when you hang clean how do you rip the weight up so quickly is it alot of hamstring action? also since we have a bunch of oly lifters looking at this tread do you guys actually ‘upright row’ the weight to get it up to the front squat position or is it more sitting down to get your body lower then the weight?

to generalize olympic lifting looks sweet but at the moment my form on cleans looks like shit and i dont think i could snatch more then the bar[/quote]

Cheers.

I had the Emigrate - My World Oly lifting video when that guy was online! But they are all off now :(. MAN that was an AWESOME video to watch before I trained! I watched it before I went down the gym.

Hang Clean = 2nd pull work and speed under the bar. My hamstrings aren’t that strong but I do a lot of different pulls:

Pulls from the floor
Pulls from the hang
Pulls halting at low or mid thigh for 3seconds then finish
Pulls from the hang but bouncing in and out of, not static hang
Isometric pulls (put bar in squat rack on pins and pull for 6secs x 3 or 4sets), various hights

A strong second pull and speed under the bar makes it possible to lift a lot more weight.

How much can you PC from the Hang? I’ve done 110kg for 3reps and I Jerked the first two.

There is no upright row motion, your pulling the bar up, your pulling under it. After the 2nd pull:

Look at that picture. It is for the Snatch but look at POSITION 4 on the PULL. THIS IS THE MOST POWER YOU CAN PUT ON TO THE BAR. From this point onwards the bar is given as much upwards momentum you can give it. Now you are pulling under it as fast as possible to rack the Clean.

Think of jumping up as fast as you can and then pulling undr as fast as you can.

Practice on the bar and you should be able to do it very fast and then over time increase the weights. Once you get good you can pull under big weights.

The heavier the weights the lower the bar goes and the faster you will have to be to get under it.

I’ve Hang Cleaned 142.5kg so I shouldn’t have failed any that were lower.

Koing

awesome poster link there Koing, thanks

I’m not sure if you were asking me how much i PC from a hang, but I have never actually tried to PC from a hang, just from the floor where i got 225lbs which is roughly 102kg.

maybe this winter ill cut the bullshit and really put an effort into OLY lifts, although finding a gym with a real platform would be nice so im not destroying any equipt.

whens your next comp? you should post up a vid of it when it goes down, im sure we would all be proud of a T member and provide some more inspiration

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
awesome poster link there Koing, thanks

I’m not sure if you were asking me how much i PC from a hang, but I have never actually tried to PC from a hang, just from the floor where i got 225lbs which is roughly 102kg.

maybe this winter ill cut the bullshit and really put an effort into OLY lifts, although finding a gym with a real platform would be nice so im not destroying any equipt.

whens your next comp? you should post up a vid of it when it goes down, im sure we would all be proud of a T member and provide some more inspiration[/quote]

Thats a good PC. What bodyweight?

Yes, form work is critical in hitting big numbers, unless you have obscene power to start with. Even then you can lift a lot more with better technique.

Work from the hang is important but you must have a rock solid 1st pull first and most lifts should be from the floor until your 1st pull is rock solid.

Next comps on Saturday in fact. Going to see what I have this week, feeling battered so hopefully I’d have recovered by then. I’d usually lift lighter with 2 weeks to go. Less volume and minimal assistance work.

I should hammer out 120/145 @ 85kg

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Next comps on Saturday in fact. Going to see what I have this week, feeling battered so hopefully I’d have recovered by then. I’d usually lift lighter with 2 weeks to go. Less volume and minimal assistance work.

I should hammer out 120/145 @ 85kg[/quote]

Openers, yeah? :wink:

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Koing wrote:
Next comps on Saturday in fact. Going to see what I have this week, feeling battered so hopefully I’d have recovered by then. I’d usually lift lighter with 2 weeks to go. Less volume and minimal assistance work.

I should hammer out 120/145 @ 85kg

Openers, yeah? :wink:

[/quote]

Obviously mate. Thats the only way I know how to lift!

My coach will want me to go in more conservatively…but f0ck it. I’ll get 260Kg to qualify either way so I might as well go for broke :smiley:

Koing