T Nation

2xBW Bench

This is my recent 2xbw bench! with some extra squatting added to the mix at the end.
Drug-free.

Well done a 2x body weight bench is impressive especially raw and drug free :slight_smile:

Thanks bro, I am doing my best :slight_smile:

Grats! 2 x BW bench is a great milestone. Use it to fuel your lifting and get other goals too.

Solid

Congrats on the bench!
Are you hitting depth on squat? it doesn’t seem so. Anw the angle doesn’t tell the whole story

Hey Anthony what training did you do to get your 2x body weight bench and how often do you train it ?

And you almost had that second rep! Keep working on it and 2.5 x BW will be the new goal.

Thanks for the positivity guys. A lot of it comes down to genetics (how I respond to training stimulus). My training is pretty incosistent at the moment as I am in the middle of my PhD but if I had to offer a few tips it would be that training frequency must be increased to around 3x a week (past the intermediate stage) to squeeze out more gains.

During my first years I made some good gains benching once a week (and basically doing all of the lifts once a week) but only when I increased it to 3x a week did I notice faster gains. I don’t do low reps often, more like within the 6-12 range most of the time. Accessory back work is important but remember - specificity is above everything else. Keeping injury free is perhaps the single most important thing one can do.

Other than that, no secrets. Pretty simple really. Well, 2.5x bench will have to wait for 3-4 years maybe more!

The internet dick-and-ego stroking is strong with this one.

Couple questions… how do you rectify these two statements?

I’ve seen many arguments that working in the 6-12 rep range is significantly different than working in the 1-3 rep range. I’m assuming when you say specificity you just mean “do more benching to get better at benching”, not “do more heavy benching to get better at heavy benching”.

Secondly, how much weekly volume do you do? You mentioned frequency and rep range, but not number of sets (or load).

Lorez:

What I meant by specificity is “do more benching to get better at benching”.

Working in 1-3 rep range is indeed more specific to powerlifting than working in the 6-12 but I have noticed working in 1-3 for more than 2-3 consecutive sessions is overkill for my joints. Growing stronger in any rep range will have carryover to 1RM. I

To make consistent strength gains in the bench, at least for me, it requires good frequency and plenty of volume. (3x a week, with a total volume of around 30-40 total reps each session(split into 3-8 sets) at a weight of around 70-90%).

Anthony thanks for the information much appreciated :slight_smile:

[quote]Anthony_85 wrote:
Lorez:

Working in 1-3 rep range is indeed more specific to powerlifting than working in the 6-12 but I have noticed working in 1-3 for more than 2-3 consecutive sessions is overkill for my joints. Growing stronger in any rep range will have carryover to 1RM. I

To make consistent strength gains in the bench, at least for me, it requires good frequency and plenty of volume. (3x a week, with a total volume of around 30-40 total reps each session(split into 3-8 sets) at a weight of around 70-90%).
[/quote]
Not to intentionally play devil’s advocate, but what has your progress been in the last 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?

When did you switch from 1 bench day per week to 3?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Anthony_85 wrote:
Lorez:

[/quote]
Not to intentionally play devil’s advocate, but what has your progress been in the last 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?

When did you switch from 1 bench day per week to 3?[/quote]

Although the question was not aimed at me I used to train flat bench just once a week and did close grip bench on a separate session and have recently switched to benching twice a week with a couple of sets of close grip bench thrown in at the end and I believe I’m benefiting from it and should hopefully be hitting a new PR in a couple of months.