2nd Week of Smolov Base Cycle

I’ve been lifting for several years and have plateaued in my squat, for a variety of reasons: injury, running, etc. I have made it through the first week of the base cycle, and it doesn’t seem so bad – no DOMS or anything. I was previously under hte impression that the second week was a percentage increase, but I now realize that it is a set 20 lbs, no matter what your max is. That is almost 10% of my max., so on Monday I will be doing 80% for 4x9, which seems crazy. I’ve always been told that you should be able to do your 80% for only 8 reps.

Am I just being a wus? Should I power through? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Mostly on the smolov posts, no one has a max near me, so I can’t get a good idea of how I compare, or what sort of results I should expect.

I am a 150 lbs, 30 year old woman with a 100kg max. I do full depth squats.

The Smolov pound increase is designed for men with a pretty big starting 1RM to begin with. I have seen several female lifters back down the increase in the base phase to 10 lbs./ second week / 5lbs. third week. You need to use your judgment on this but you should not feel like you are skimping on the program if you decided to back down accordingly.

Pop into Snap’s log/thread in the O-35 section and ask, she is a female power lifter and I am pretty sure (not 100%) that she ran Smolov and did the 10 lbs./ 5 lbs. adjustment.

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m a guy and I know there’s fair differences in recovery ability and things like that. But

I just finished smolov and my max went from 265X1 to 285X2. So my max wasn’t far off from where yours is to start.

The 20 pound leap is freaking tough, and honestly a mental test more than anything. I honestly thought week 2 was harder than week 3.

With that being said, it can be done if your recovery is in check, and if you put yourself in the right state of mind before going into the gym. It’ll suck, but you’ll be glad you did the full 20 instead of less.

“whether you believe you can or you can’t, you’re right”

Andrew, just curious, how much do you weigh?

6’3" 184

I’ll stick with my “use your judgment” and “don’t feel like its skimping” advice, but I agree with Andrew that alot of what’s possible in lifting is determined by a belief in what’s possible. 20 lbs. was a pretty big jump for me when I ran it, but from a relative/percentage standpoint, that jump is about 1/2 the jump it would be for the OP, so I still think its a judgment call.

Andrew, congrats, but the way, for completing Smolov with the suggested pound increases and that starting 1rm, that’s a great achievement in my book.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I’ll stick with my “use your judgment” and “don’t feel like its skimping” advice, but I agree with Andrew that alot of what’s possible in lifting is determined by a belief in what’s possible. 20 lbs. was a pretty big jump for me when I ran it, but from a relative/percentage standpoint, that jump is about 1/2 the jump it would be for the OP, so I still think its a judgment call.

Andrew, congrats, but the way, for completing Smolov with the suggested pound increases and that starting 1rm, that’s a great achievement in my book.

[/quote]

True, plus like I said we’re both guys so it’ll probably be a bit different for the OP.

Thanks man

Thanks, guys! I did the plus 20 today and got through the 4x9, althought it took me a really long time. I am eating a cow ( just the lean parts) for dinner in celebration and also in hopes that I will recover enough by Wednesday to tackle the 5x7.

Cherie 1
Smolov 0

[quote]cherienot wrote:
Thanks, guys! I did the plus 20 today and got through the 4x9, althought it took me a really long time. I am eating a cow ( just the lean parts) for dinner in celebration and also in hopes that I will recover enough by Wednesday to tackle the 5x7.

Cherie 1
Smolov 0

[/quote]

nice work keep it coming

Cherie 2 – although this was a close call. On the last rep of my last set some a-hole walked right behind me yapping about his jump rope.

Smolov 0