2nd Liver Test Results...

…OK, so I posted up here a few weeks ago about my doc saying my liver function was high because of my protien shakes… After doing some reading and stuff, I found out that these #'s could be high for numerous reasons, including excessive workouts prior to the test…

Anyway, here are the results of my 2nd tests:

total bilirubin 1.3…normal 0.2 to 1.1
direct bilirbuin 0.2 (normal 0.0-0.4
GOT 35 normal 9-37
GPT 60 HIGH normal 2 - 38
alk 65 normal 38-110
Total protein 6.7 normal 5.9 -7.9
albumin 4.2 normal 3.4-4.6
HBS AG norma.
negative heptatitis C panel

So my total bilirubin and my GPT are both high…

The thing is, they are both higher this time, just by a bit… I didn’t lift for 3 days before this test, nor did I drink for a week or two and I was away for the weekend so I didn’t have any protien shakes for a few days either, drank a lot of water the whole weekend…

Soooo… Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??? I don’t drink regularly, if anything a few beers here and there on the weekends… Other then protien shakes, I take a multi-vitamen and fish/flax oils…

Should I stop the shakes? If so, what would be a good post workout meal?

Man, this sucks!!!

Ok, I’m not medical expert here, but here’s what I know/heard. You weight train, even if not right up to the test, the fact that you do consistently will alter your liver values. I’d question your doctor’s conclusion that it’s your protein shakes causing the high values. I mean, it is true that gluconeogenesis comes from the liver, so if your on a low carb diet that could raise some values, I think. Overall I doubt I’d be to worried, if you continue to try to live a healthier lifestyle you should be fine. Just because you call them Dr. doesn’t mean they can’t be wrong, most don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
Soooo… Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??? I don’t drink regularly, if anything a few beers here and there on the weekends… Other then protien shakes, I take a multi-vitamen and fish/flax oils…

Man, this sucks!!!
[/quote]

Does the Doc know about your “a few beers hera and there” ?
This is a big open statement, not really nailing down exactly how much a few is and how many here and there’s there are.
And if you were really concerned about your liver, perhaps cutting down on what a few is and how many heres and theres. And not fall into the Doc’s thinking of protein shakes = da devil.

Jusy imho mind you

Take care

The answer is easy…Kill yourself.

[quote]zarro wrote:
Ok, I’m not medical expert here, but here’s what I know/heard. You weight train, even if not right up to the test, the fact that you do consistently will alter your liver values. I’d question your doctor’s conclusion that it’s your protein shakes causing the high values. I mean, it is true that gluconeogenesis comes from the liver, so if your on a low carb diet that could raise some values, I think. Overall I doubt I’d be to worried, if you continue to try to live a healthier lifestyle you should be fine. Just because you call them Dr. doesn’t mean they can’t be wrong, most don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I’m starting to think too about the doc… All my other labs for sugar, cholestoral and all are perfect… I do train constantly, at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 times a week. I eat a very balanced diet, that happens to be low carb high protien… You’d think if I had a liver issue, all the other liver function stuff would be off too…

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
LJ4174 wrote:

Man, this sucks!!!

This is a big open statement, not really nailing down exactly how much a few is and how many here and there’s there are.
And if you were really concerned about your liver, perhaps cutting down on what a few is and how many heres and theres. And not fall into the Doc’s thinking of protein shakes = da devil.

Jusy imho mind you

Take care

[/quote]

Yeah, the doc knows about the ‘few beers here and there’ statement, if I have a beer or 2 it’s normally on a Saturday night and very rarely I drink more then 2 and… I don’t have these few beers every weekend…

Why do you feel that way about the protien shakes??? That’s gotta be rare around here…

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:
LJ4174 wrote:

Man, this sucks!!!

Jusy imho mind you

Take care

Yeah, the doc knows about the ‘few beers here and there’ statement, if I have a beer or 2 it’s normally on a Saturday night and very rarely I drink more then 2 and… I don’t have these few beers every weekend…

Why do you feel that way about the protien shakes??? That’s gotta be rare around here…

[/quote]

You need to quit reading as you drink :wink:
“And not fall into the Doc’s thinking of protein shakes = da devil”

Me I think protein shakes are da Bom, just the Doc thinks as I stated :slight_smile:

[quote]
You need to quit reading as you drink :wink:
“And not fall into the Doc’s thinking of protein shakes = da devil”

Me I think protein shakes are da Bom, just the Doc thinks as I stated :)[/quote]

Yeah, maybe I am drinkin’ a bit more then I thought… :wink: