2busy's Training Log of Solitude

The second cardioechogram turned up something. Fibroblastoma on the mitral valve. Now I get to talk to cardiology.

Oh jeez!!! Sorry to hear (or read) that. I didn’t realize you had a first one. My dad had 4 of them over 20 years, but died from something else, but he lived to nearly the age of 90. And you’re in pretty good shape so I hope you’ll be able to bounce back from it ok. Take care of yourself.

Not great news but at least now they know what caused it, and hopefully be able to fix it.

Well they found the cause. I have a PFE. A Papillary Fibroelastoma. On the Mitral valve of my heart. Essentially, I have a 1 cm tumor flapping with every heartbeat.

Open heart surgery is scheduled for Friday afternoon.

I think they are pretty good at that stuff nowadays, but we will be praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

1 Like

Jesus.

So glad they finally found the cause. I suspect the fact that you’re in such good shape with excellent conditioning will play strongly in your favor.

Thinking of you.

1 Like

The surgeon seemed rather excited about that. I only have the PFE to deal with. Well,so far. They.re checking for blockage tomorrow so if I have some they’ll clean it up too.

Glad to read the surgeon is positive. Certainly helps a lot. We’ll keep praying for good recovery.

1 Like

You had a very deadpan way of dropping that mother###er in your log. I’m not sure if I admire your dry sense of humor or if that’s some weird macho-dude-thing. Nevertheless you scared me silly for a while there.

I can only imagine you must have been freaking the hell out.

I’m actually glad to hear the cause is something invasive rather than endemic. Theoretically, this thing is fixable once the offending growth is removed. And what you also have in your favor is you’re healthy as a horse. I’m wishing you the very best through all this nonsense. And I’m glad you’ll continue to be fouling this place up for a long time to come.

1 Like

Well I hope you are feeling ok, while you wait this out.

Children and dogs are supposed to get ‘excited’, but good to know you have an enthusiastic surgeon. So are you writing to TNation in while you are at the hospital?

Yes MT, they have wifi, lol. In recovery after heart catheter check for blockage. I have none :slight_smile:

Big surgery is tomorrow.

Good luck with the surgery. Hope you’re back on the ice and back under the bar real soon.

1 Like

Heart Cath came back with no blockage. Ready for the big surgery.

So I can finally do decent replies, a laptop was smuggled into me.

Well
 It can be scary if I keep trying to do all the what ifs.

But I look at the positives.

• I could have been driving my kids back to the ex. Instead I was in my kitchen.

• They actually identified the cause, unlike 4 years ago when I had a TIA.

• Even though this is extremely rare, my surgeon has done 3 others in the last year.

I’ll pull through this and I’ll get back to lifting and hockey.

Plus bonus! The nystagmus in my right eye seems to have stopped. My double vision has gone.

You have the right attitude and you’re in good physical shape for all this.

Out of Surgery. Well
 All the prep but no operation. The mass has disappeared. CT scan shows nothing. On blood thinners and trying to figure out what’s going on,

Well that’s just scary! Hopefully this is a good thing. Stilling praying. Hang in there! They’ll figure it out.

1 Like

20160702- Home

So
 I’m all prepped for cracking my chest, on the table, jugular vein IV in, full under. And they run another transesophageal ultrasound to look at the tumor on my heart valve.

Except it wasn’t there.

So then they have a bit of a panic.

CT of my upper body. No sign of it.

So that scrubbed the surgery.

And with that they sent me home.

No driving for about a week.

Lot’s of followup visits.

I can lift in two weeks.

Thank you to everyone who had me in their thoughts and prayers. It certainly helped.

Tom

Glad they caught it BEFORE they cracked you open. Bet you are happy to be home. BUT, it stills leaves the question of WHAT caused the stroke(s). Will you be able to play in 2 weeks also? Or just light duty?