2A Progression Models

Hey CT,
I’ve been reading a lot on type 2A neuro type, which has really been refreshing matching up my personality to training & how I reflect a 2A type.

On progression models for 2A’s, in your YouTube video you recommend RM progression which I respond to really well, but was wondering what other progression models 2A’s respond well too?

For instance do clusters work well for 2A’s & if so which types eg Poliquin, Miller?

Also if clusters suit, how would say a 12 week progression look like implementing RM & cluster methods if applicable?

Thanks for the help, appreciate it,
PK

If I recall, the general rule of thumb with 2As is, everything works for a 2A, but onlt for a short time. I don’t know if this rule still stands or has been altered, but it seems the recommendation for 2As is to not do anything for too long.

I am not a 2A so I can only speak on what I have read about the topic, but if I recall correctly, 2As tend to adapt quick and get bored easily they need a lot of variation.

As to how often you would change the main method vs the supplementals and accessories, I am not sure CT or someone more knowledgeable may be able to answer you on that one.

@pkelly_10 so you’re asking for a 12 week periodized program? Have you tried the 2A programs he sells on his site? Probably a good place to start.

No, just wanted to know if you can implement RM & clusters over the space of a say 12 week periodization or would it be better to stick to just one method for that time.

For instance as CT has recommended previously in this forum as options:
RM scheme-
Week 1: Ramp to 3RM
Week 2: Ramp to 2RM
Week 3: Ramp to 1RM
Week 4: Deload: ( 3 x 1 with 3RM)
Repeat

Week 1: Ramp to 5RM
Week 2: Ramp to 4RM
Week 3: Ramp to 3RM
Week 4: Ramp to 2RM
Week 5: Ramp to 1RM
Week 6: Deload: 4 x 1 @ 3RM
Repeat

Could clusters be implemented with the RM or would it be better to stick to just concentrating on RM lifts for the duration.

PK

The thing to remember with 2A is that what works best is what gets you excited.

As such, it’s hard to program over the long term because as soon as you lose that excitement for a programing approach/training style, it’s all downhill. And that can happen after 3 weeks or take 12 weeks to occur.

I know that personally, as a 2A, what works best is specialization training. Where I specialize one 1-2 lifts or muscles for 3-6 weeks then switch to another specialization.

That’s interesting, the more & more I’m learning about myself with training this definitely reflects me.

Sticking with a main lift for 3-6 is my sweet spot, I do find coming back to the same lift after a deload I just don’t respond well to it at all.

I think going forward I need to be more flexible with change when I don’t respond to a lift/method instead of trying to push through. Man this is encouraging to hear.

Just a quick question on assistance exercises, I’ve recently moved to changing them every week/2 weeks where I seem to respond really well particularly with mind muscle connection/interest. I’ve found that sticking with an assistant exercise for 3-4 or more weeks I start to lose that connection & subsequent pump.

Basically I go into sessions with my predetermined main lift(s) & progression but only select assistant exercises once I’ve finished my main lift(s), just knowing what muscles I want to hit before hand. Is this ok to do/for a 2A profile?

Thanks again

Hey CT,
Quick question on 2A progression model, which one would be better:

Week 1: Ramp to 3RM
Week 2: Ramp to 2RM
Week 3: Ramp to 1RM
Week 4: Deload: 3 x 1 with 3RM
Repeat

Or

Week 1: Ramp to 5RM
Week 2: Ramp to 4RM
Week 3: Ramp to 3RM
Week 4: Ramp to 2RM
Week 5: Ramp to 1RM
Week 6: Deload: 4 x 1 @ 3RM
Repeat

My interest leans towards #2 which excites me more, is that a good indication of which is best for me?

Also watching your 2A YouTube videos, you mentioned 2As don’t really need to deload but rather equally beneficial is just changing the training. I normally follow a westside model which allows neuro & pump work each session which I respond best too.

In terms of a deload week ie completely changing training style, what training for the week would you recommend as an example(s)?

Thanks for the help

Dude, you asked nearly the same question, you already got an answer to it. Don’t like it, do more research.

Also, use your head, if you are looking to change stimuli for 1 week as a means of deload, do the exact f#*%@!g opposite as what you were doing. You trained for strength with big lifts, train for mind muscle connection with minimal big lifts, and mostly isolation. Or vice versa, or whatever else you were doing. You done Westside Conjugate, since you are working on all aspects and try to bring them up simultaneously, do shit you done the least. Read up on CTs articles on T-Nation from the past 4 months especially, there’ll be plenty of inspiration and explanation.

And once again, use your head. Regardless of CTs immense experience and skill level, he is not a mind reader, you are asking him if it’s ok to change movements every 2 or 3 weeks and select assistance work on the spot, how would he know what’s best specifically for you without having a personal consultation with you? Does it work for you, does it bring results, do you avoid burnout and over training, do you avoid lack of motivation ie cortisol issues, are you getting the outcome you want? Answer these questions, you’ll know whether you are training right for yourself or not.

Want to further optimise your training as a 2A?Buy the 2A program on CTs website.

1 Like

Well, it’s clear I’ve struck a nerve here. Bit of advice, I’m sure CT doesn’t need a lap dog defending him, no amount of your winging will convince CT to let you blow him.

It’s up to CT if he wants to answer or not, that’s up to him which from my end is fair enough. Sometimes he responds, sometimes he doesn’t, I respect that.

You seem annoyed at more than just this thread by this response, move on.

If that excites you more and get you more motivated, go with that. Plus, to me, 2 or 3RM feels like the same thing… so a ramp to a 1, 2 and 3RM offers much less feel of variation than option 2

Cheers CT.

Just one final one, I read with interest on your unpopular opinion on chains about the difference between strong lifters (grinders) and explosive lifters. Being a grinder myself, I never reaped any benefits from basic barbell lifting speed work.

So for my Upper Dynamic Effort days I focused solely on repetition/bodybuilding work, which I enjoy but the sessions never really felt right until I watched your 2A video explaining 2As need neuro & bodybuilding work within the session to be optimal & it started to click and make sense particularly relating back to your chains article where you mentioned:
‘If a “grinder” wants to become more explosive, the best approach is to do jumps and throws, or maybe power variations of the Olympic lifts.’

So question:

1. For my Upper Dynamic Effort Day, for my neuro work, what could this look like for example before moving onto my bodybuilding work? Olympic lifts and throws? How would the sets/reps look like?

BTW, for my Lower Dynamic Effort days I focus more on Strongman session, creates variation in training within my weeks and I enjoy doing things like prowler work, rope rows, Farmers Walks etc. Sessions leave me satisfied.

Thanks again.