T Nation

29 Year Old. Low T. Help?

I have been dealing with low T for the past few years. I had blood work done a about a year and a half ago and my endo informed me that I most likely took something that was laced with a steroid. Since then, I had cut out every supplement except protein powder and creatine. FYI, I have never taken any steroid o growth hormone on purpose. I just had my blood drawn again and it still is low. As a side note, I made a last minute appointment and did not fast and had my blood drawn at 1230 in the afternoon. Would this have a large effect? Below are the findings:

age-29
-height- 5’10
-waist-33
-weight-177
-describe body and facial hair- shave twice a week- hair on face, chest, balls
-describe where you carry fat and how changed- love handles and thighs
-health conditions, symptoms- NA
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever- NA
-describe diet- Nothing specific, high protein, moderate carb and moderate fats
-describe training- 6 days lifting and one day of cardio
-testes ache, ever, with a fever- No
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed- No

Glucose- 67
Urea nitrogen- 36H
Creatinine-1.10
eGFR NON afr American-90
Bun/creatinine ratio- 33H
Sodium- 142
Potassium-4.4
Chloride-102
Carbon dioxide-33H
Calcium-9.8
Protein, total-7.4
Albumin-5
Globulin-2.4
Albumin/globulin ratio- 2.1
Bilirubin, total-.5
Alkaline phosphatase- 62
AST-38
Alt-37
Phosphate-4.5
TSH-.87
T4, free-1.0
CBC
White blood cell count-3.2L
Red blood cell count-4.42
Hemoglobin-14.7
Hematocrit-42.2
MCV-95.5
MCH-33.3H
MCHC-34.8
RDW-12.6
Platelet count-177
MPV-10.5
Absolute neutrophils-1616
Absolute lymphocytes-1110
Absolute monocytes-413
Absolute eosinophils-42
Absolute basophils-19
Neutrophils- 50.5
Lymphocytes-34.7
Monocytes-12.9
Eosinophils 1.3
Basophils-.6
Vitamin B12- 1546H
Folate, serum- >24
FSH- 1.7
LH- .4 L
Testosterone Total- 203 L
Free testosterone-20.5L
Vitamin D- 76 ng/mL

I workout 6 days a week, have a decent sex drive. Shave a couple times a week. I get up everyday at 5am for work so by 8/830pm I’m pretty tired. My total testosterone last blood work(7/17 was 467) so it dropped a good amount. Could this be due to not fasting and getting my blood drawn later in the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I left anything out, please let me know.

Please do not create multiple threads as this will facture information across the forum creating confusion.

T levels start dropping after 10am and continue to do so through the evening and when you get good sleep this causes you testosterone to recover the next morning.

Any good doctor would throw out you labs do to the fact you had blood drawn at a time your levels have already started dropping. In any case your levels even at 12:30pm are still far to low. You need to include lab ranges otherwise labs are useless. You should have to shave everyday and should notice a 5 o’clock shadow.

I can already tell that your free T measurement is wrong, most clueless doctors attempt to measure free T directly which is horribly inaccurate, you must measure TT and SHBG to get free T level. Your thyroid labs are inadequate, where is fT3, rT3, T4 and antibodies? fT3 is the active free thyroid hormone, why would you attempt to get free T and not this?

SHBG is the gold standard for evaluation of sex hormone testing, it tell us how well a guy holds onto his T and how frequent he should inject T. Your doctor is failing him/herself and you. Most doctors get male hormones/TRT wrong.

LH is rock bottom or is it? This is why we need lab ranges.

You don’t expect me to look at it sideways do you? It’s far to blurry.

Apologies, here you go

I am looking at the script from Quest that my doctor ordered. There isn’t no option to select SHBG? There is an option to select T3 free, T4 free, and T4. But none were checked.

FYI I looked at both of my previous blood results and SHBG both times were at the top end of the range.

July 2017- 39(range 10-50)
November 2016- 44( range 10-50)

I would start with 2 injections a week with that SHBG score, however thyroid testing is limited and the health of the thyroid is clouded in a thick veil of fog without further tests. Ignore free T score, it’s useless just like your doctor.

TRT success depends on the skill of the doctor, otherwise you will walk away from TRT with a poor impression of it.

You need another doctor, one who understands male hormones.