29 Year Old Animal In the Making

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Explain what? That the gear used in powerlifting has gotten out of hand and that I doubt that same kid could use near that weight on his own without a spotter and definitely not for reps?

I think I was in high school the last time my chest was 42". That’s not much of an accomplishment. Are you saying you TRAIN REGULARLY with 340lbs FOR REPS?

[/quote]

For someone so seasoned and respected, you just made yourself sound very ignorant. when you hear about gear being out of hand, its not referring to single ply. And of course his stats aren’t FOR REPS. he said he was going to a powerlifting meet, he was asked his numbers and he gave the 1 REP that he has done on each of the powerlifts.
Don’t be such a prick.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Explain what? That the gear used in powerlifting has gotten out of hand and that I doubt that same kid could use near that weight on his own without a spotter and definitely not for reps?

I think I was in high school the last time my chest was 42". That’s not much of an accomplishment. Are you saying you TRAIN REGULARLY with 340lbs FOR REPS?

For someone so seasoned and respected, you just made yourself sound very ignorant. when you hear about gear being out of hand, its not referring to single ply. And of course his stats aren’t FOR REPS. he said he was going to a powerlifting meet, he was asked his numbers and he gave the 1 REP that he has done on each of the powerlifts.
Don’t be such a prick.[/quote]

There have been several debates on this issue on this site. My goal is not to start another one because I truly could care less about powerlifting as far as my own goals. I AM questioning some guy with a 42" chest having the lift he claims while doing BODYBUILDING POSES in a RATE MY PHYSIQUE forum. How ignorant are you to ignore his apparent need for bodybuilding approval as if he just posted this in a powerlifting forum and only talked about his lifts?

Do I believe he can lift that weight without a spotter while being less developed than most high school football players? Hell no.

As far as gear in powerlifting, I do feel it is out of hand, especially when young guys jump into it as beginners and focus on their gear before building a base of strength whether it is one ply or not.

I AM questioning some guy with a 42" chest having the lift he claims while doing BODYBUILDING POSES in a RATE MY PHYSIQUE forum.

Are you saying you TRAIN REGULARLY with 340lbs FOR REPS?[/quote]

funny, it looks like, as indicated by the question mark, that you ARE questioning whether or not he TRAINS REGULARLY with 340lbs FOR REPS.

I don’t really care if he can or can’t, but sometimes you just say stupid shit to get people worked up. Oops, I fell for it too.

judging by his picture, if he really weighs 207 than he must be pretty tall to look so thin. If he is pretty tall, then he has pretty short arms. Its a lot of “if,” but he might have the levers to pull off that kind of lift at his level of development.

OP, is that 340 with gear in a meet or raw with a spotter touching the bar?

FFmedic32, good job - sounds like you’ve made some solid progress. a 40 lb jump is excellent, and contrary to some of the responses, from where I’m sitting you look solid, esp. given where you apparently started. I think you’d actually look a lot bigger in the pose you’re doing if you didn’t hunch your shoulders up and together in the pose.

Fortunately there are some folks on this website who will give you a legit critique and then give you solid tips to improve. Unfortunately I don’t think many of them have responded to you yet (I think I counted one so far in the string).

Instead you’ve gotten a bunch of ridiculous comments questioning you on your lifts, bodyweight, etc. Funny thing is that if you’d posted a pic of your scrawny self at 165 next to your currents you’d be getting rated at least twice as high. Whatever.

Keep up the good work and thanks for your work as a FF - I have represented my local FD in the past and have tremendous respect for you all.

[quote]BWH wrote:
FFmedic32, good job - sounds like you’ve made some solid progress. a 40 lb jump is excellent, and contrary to some of the responses, from where I’m sitting you look solid, esp. given where you apparently started. I think you’d actually look a lot bigger in the pose you’re doing if you didn’t hunch your shoulders up and together in the pose.

Fortunately there are some folks on this website who will give you a legit critique and then give you solid tips to improve. Unfortunately I don’t think many of them have responded to you yet (I think I counted one so far in the string).

Instead you’ve gotten a bunch of ridiculous comments questioning you on your lifts, bodyweight, etc. Funny thing is that if you’d posted a pic of your scrawny self at 165 next to your currents you’d be getting rated at least twice as high. Whatever.

Keep up the good work and thanks for your work as a FF - I have represented my local FD in the past and have tremendous respect for you all.[/quote]

Well I can only seem to find one single pic that shows me as a skinny bastard at 165 so here it is,Dont laugh one of those stupid poses for a women at the time

Ralph Malph,

indeed, you are an animal. Give my regards to the fonz.

[quote]ffmedic32 wrote:

Just last weekend at a touch and go meet I watched a 170 pound 17 year old kid bench 475 with single ply denim,explain that one to me[/quote]

What did you expect to get acros with this? That even 1ply shirts can add 100+lbs to your bench?

As far as a critique goes work your back T-bar rows, pullups, dumbell rows and throw in dumbells after your flat bench to try to build your chest. Military press of every kind and heavy barbell shrugs. You sound like you have legs covered.

our stats are very similiar…

A lot of progress. And if you did bench 340 for even one rep (spotter NOT touching the bar) its still good. It looks as though you added a good amount of mass but not too much on your chest (pecs) though.
O/T the hairline receding can easily be slowed down (not stopped) considerably if you really want that.

[quote]ffmedic32 wrote:
BWH wrote:

Keep up the good work and thanks for your work as a FF - I have represented my local FD in the past and have tremendous respect for you all.

Well I can only seem to find one single pic that shows me as a skinny bastard at 165 so here it is,Dont laugh one of those stupid poses for a women at the time
[/quote]

ffmedic32 wrote:
Is there some formula out there that I dont know about that calculates your max bench using your chest measurment??? If so what should my max be with a 42 inch chest if you think 340 is too much.

Just last weekend at a touch and go meet I watched a 170 pound 17 year old kid bench 475 with single ply denim,explain that one to me

I usually avoid going into much detail about any weight I specifically lift, but you can bet that if I claimed it, it is what I do FOR REPS…not some weight I may have gotten once with a spotter pulling half the weight or with a bench shirt that took 20% or more of the load off of me.[/quote]

Yeah, single ply gear is out of hand…

Prof, you should try to stick to bodybuilding, that you DO know, powerlifting you obviously don’t know… :slight_smile: If you can find me one single ply shirt that most lifter will get 20% out of, I’m happy.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
OP, is that 340 with gear in a meet or raw with a spotter touching the bar?[/quote]

You forgot: “or raw, without the spotter touching the bar”…

you just got to love the insinuations on this site… :smiley:

Is that your man boobs Prof X? What size are those mobbies now?

ffmedic32 wrote:
Is there some formula out there that I dont know about that calculates your max bench using your chest measurment??? If so what should my max be with a 42 inch chest if you think 340 is too much.

Just last weekend at a touch and go meet I watched a 170 pound 17 year old kid bench 475 with single ply denim,explain that one to me

I usually avoid going into much detail about any weight I specifically lift, but you can bet that if I claimed it, it is what I do FOR REPS…not some weight I may have gotten once with a spotter pulling half the weight or with a bench shirt that took 20% or more of the load off of me.[/quote]

“well, I don’t like to brag you know, but IF I’m going to brag, I’d never go about my max, that is just stupid”…

is that beacause you seldom TRAIN for max attempts… ? Most the BB-ers I know is like that, and of course, understandable. They don’t train for max attempts, powerlifters do.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:

Professor X wrote:
I usually avoid going into much detail about any weight I specifically lift, but you can bet that if I claimed it, it is what I do FOR REPS…not some weight I may have gotten once with a spotter pulling half the weight or with a bench shirt that took 20% or more of the load off of me.

“well, I don’t like to brag you know, but IF I’m going to brag, I’d never go about my max, that is just stupid”…

is that beacause you seldom TRAIN for max attempts… ? Most the BB-ers I know is like that, and of course, understandable. They don’t train for max attempts, powerlifters do.
[/quote]

I don’t train for max attempts at all. Is that a problem for you? I have trained on a pretty regular basis to do as much weight as possible for the last set which may only lead to 1-2 reps. I think I have explained that in great detail in the past. Why are you confused enough to have to keep asking?

[quote]Eric22 wrote:
Is that your man boobs Prof X? What size are those mobbies now?

[/quote]

This is interesting. I assume your pictures are somewhere on the internet. Please direct me to them. I am also amazed at your x-ray vision…but considering your post history, that is about the only thing that amazes me.

Adamsson wrote:

Professor X wrote:
I usually avoid going into much detail about any weight I specifically lift, but you can bet that if I claimed it, it is what I do FOR REPS…not some weight I may have gotten once with a spotter pulling half the weight or with a bench shirt that took 20% or more of the load off of me.

I don’t train for max attempts at all. Is that a problem for you? I have trained on a pretty regular basis to do as much weight as possible for the last set which may only lead to 1-2 reps. I think I have explained that in great detail in the past. Why are you confused enough to have to keep asking?[/quote]

Does it look like I’m asking? :slight_smile: I’m just trying to point out the irony in you trying to be condecending beacause someone choose to train for max attempts, why would someone have other goals than the great allmighty professor…? I guess I’ll try to be more… direct the next time.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Adamsson wrote:

Professor X wrote:

I don’t train for max attempts at all. Is that a problem for you? I have trained on a pretty regular basis to do as much weight as possible for the last set which may only lead to 1-2 reps. I think I have explained that in great detail in the past. Why are you confused enough to have to keep asking?

Does it look like I’m asking? :slight_smile: I’m just trying to point out the irony in you trying to be condecending beacause someone choose to train for max attempts, why would someone have other goals than the great allmighty professor…? I guess I’ll try to be more… direct the next time.
[/quote]

You aren’t “direct”. You are ignorant. Where did I become condescending simply because he does max lifts? If you actually think that, your comprehension skills are through the floor boards.

I questioned his STRENGTH LEVEL THAT HE CLAIMED TO HAVE CONSIDERING HIS SLIGHT PHYSIQUE. Did you catch that this time or will it need to be written a few hundred more times?