T Nation

29, Not Sure What to Make of Labs. Help Greatly Appreciated

Apologies if I’ve missed anything obvious.

Body and lifestyle info
Height: 1.75 M
Waist: ~34”
Weight: 75 kg
Body and facial hair: shave every other day, slightly patchy facial hair, not very thick. Not much chest hair, normal arm and leg hair.
Where you carry fat and how changed: bit skinnyfat, get lovehandles. Big legs proportionally
Health conditions, symptoms [history]: Tired a lot. Anxious. Loss of libido. Just feel defeated before I start anything.
Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: nope
Training: was squatting 3x week, but stopped last year as I just couldn’t muster the energy any more. Always made some progress but never as much as I felt I should. I was ~88kg at my biggest and squat 135 kg. Now just light cardio.
Testes ache, ever, with a fever? Rarely ache, not with a fever
How have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed? Much the same I think
Stress and Sleep: stressed a lot, most of the time. Always try and get 8 hours, probably manage 7.30-8 on average.
Iodine: I don’t currently supplement, and don’t use much of any salt. This is the most obvious thing to look at I suppose. I do take a multi vit, fish oil, and vit D.
Oral temperature: Today (morning) was first time checking – low, about 96.4 F. Will continue to monitor. Does having a deskfan blowing on my face through the night invalidate things?
Labs –
July
TESTOSTERONE 11.52 nmol/L (7.600 -31.400)
FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED* 0.208 nmol/L (0.300-1.000)
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 35.99 nmol/L (16.000 -55.000)
17-BETA OESTRADIOL *28.54 pmol/L (44.000 -156.000)

August
TESTOSTERONE 8.99 nmol/L (7.600 -31.400)
FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED)*0.183 nmol/L (0.300-1.000)
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 29.73 nmol/L (16.000 -55.000)
17-BETA OESTRADIOL *42.96 pmol/L (44.000-156.000)

FREE TESTOSTERONE 8.08 pg/ml (4.000 -30.000) - actual, not calculated

FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE 2.52 IU/L (1.500 -12.400)
LUTEINISING HORMONE 3.25 IU/L (1.700 -8.600)

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.97 mIU/L (0.270 -4.200)
FREE THYROXINE 18.38 pmol/L (12.000 -22.000)
FREE T3 5.41 pmol/L (3.100-6.800)

thank you, genuinely, to anyone who can help me make sense of this stuff

There is actually a lot to go on, if body temperatures really are low. We need AM and mid-afternoon oral body temperatures.

If body temps are low…

fT3 is above mid-range and is ample to support normal body temperatures. With low body temperatures one can make a diagnostic assumption that reverse T3, rT3, is blocking fT3.

TSH should be closer to 1.0 and your low salt intake could be leading to iodine deficiency if you have iodized salt. If not using iodized salt, you are in trouble either way.

Where are you? Affects medical and diagnostic opportunities and and iodization programs are country specific.

rT3 can be elevated from stress. When hormones get messed up, simply carrying on is a stress.

Please read the thyroid basics sticky and note references to:
rT3
iodine
iodized
adrenal fatigue
stress
infections, inflammation, illnesses, stimulants/caffeine
Wilson’s Book
accidents

We do see a lot of cases of low-T and thyroid problems, tempting to see causality, but thinking that does not help any outcomes.

Your hormone health depends on:
T
E2
AM cortisol - at 8AM please
Vit-D25 an essential hormones made from Vit-D3

• you need to make sure that there are no weak links during your recovery efforts

Please take 5000-10000iu Vit-D3
Multi-vit should not contain iron, has iodine+selenium and other trace elements
When you use an iodine supplement, must have selenium!
150mcg in vitamins will be inadequate

Why do you sleep with a fan directed on your face?
White noise?

Stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injecitions
  • finding a TRT doc - depends on country

Thanks for taking the time to look through all that. I do currently take 5000 iu D3, but will definitely look into an iodine/selenium supp. When I can afford it I will get rt3 and vitD tested.

I have a cold mouth. Consistently <36 C regardless of time. About 35.6 C (96.08 F) this morning. I thought it was a faulty thermometer but the gf’s temp was fine (98.06F), doesn’t matter how many times I test it. I have ordered a second thermometer, I’m still not convinced.

thanks again