28Y/O Low Test, Symptomatic. Results Interpretation?

Hi guys, newb here who’s lurked around for a while.

I’ve had some pretty frustrating libido and erection issues for about 5 years now, everytime I had a blood test, things ‘appeared’ fine but have slowly and progressively worsened over time.
My most recent results show ‘acceptable’ normal testosterone ranges, but other factors tell a different story.
Here are my results;

Testosterone: 10.9 nmol/L
Free Testosterone: 0.16 nmol/L
FAI(Free Androgen Index) 22.76 ratio (reference 24-104)
Oestradiol: 63.9 pmol/L
LH: 1.64 IU/L
FSH: 2.9 IU/L
Prolactin: 167 mU/L
SHBG: 47.9 nmol/L
Albumin: 50.1 g/L
DHEA : 7.2 umol/L

Symptoms and features:

• low libido that has worsened over the past 5 years, next to no desire for sex, occasional libido, once every week - 2 weeks
    -Erection issues; temperamental, inconsistent, erection loss during masturbation
    -Stamina: Never really had a strong capacity to exercise, healthy weight, good build, pretty high levels of musculature.
    -Never really had body hair, inability to grow beard etc (though symptoms like these are nebulous at best)

It sucks because mostly because it feels I’m loosing out on life, I’ve never had a particularly feisty libido, but it was much much higher when I was 16-22.
I don’t want to start T-therapy without good reason, but if it’s really recommended I will take it.

I’ve overhauled my diet, and started trying to incorporate more activity into my life, but I was always pretty active. It never had any bearing on my issues

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Welcome to T-Nation mrskooma.

Your testosterone levels are low, your free hormone are showing below range, part of the problem is your SHBG is binding up a lot of your testosterone. Men who have natural testosterone will start seeing FT affected negatively when SHBG starts climbing into the 40’s.

Your albumin is higher than usual and is also binding up some testosterone as well. You have a strong case showing your testosterone is in fact a problem and can explain all your symptoms.

When SHBG is elevated, LH is a better indication of testosterone status. The testicles aren’t receiving much stimulation at all and what T you are producing most is bound to SHBG. Your estrogen is also very suboptimal and low testosterone in your case is the cause, something I see often in men with SHBG on the higher, low LH and low FT.

Your 10.9 TT level converts to 314 ng/dL, cardiovascular risk is shown at levels below 480 ng/dL or 16.6 nmol/L. You have secondary hypogonadism which is a pituitary failure and the most common diagnosis. Most cases of secondary hypogonadism, the cause is unknown, but more recently doctors have found a connection to EDC’s in the environment.

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men:

The locally weighted regression showed that total testosterone levels of 440 and 480 ng/dL were associated with increased Framingham CVD risk and an increased probability of increased hsCRP, respectively. Men with sexual dysfunction (poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido) had significantly greater CVD risk.

Cost of hormone-disrupting chemical exposure in Europe in billions

The study authors found the loss of brain function due to EDCs likely costs at least $146 billion per year. Treatment, special education, and other services for children with lower IQs, learning or behavioral disorders were included among the estimated direct costs. The largest cost was lifetime loss of income.

EDCs interfere with the body’s hormones. Found in food and food containers, plastics, furniture, toys, carpeting, building materials, and cosmetics, they contain chemicals such as, phthalates, and pesticides such as chlorpyrifos. They are often released from such products and enter the bodies of humans through ingestion, dermal contact or inhalation.

“Costs in the U.S. would likely be quite similar, as exposures to EDCs are fairly similar to those occurring in the EU, although levels of flame retardants are much higher in the U.S.”

Great info here! I dont mean to be rude at all but systemlord you seem to be a wealth of knowledge about trt. Can you view my results too on my new thread? Please and thank you would be much appreciated.

Wow, I can’t express how much I appreciate your analysis.

I’ve spoken to my doc, and he says I’m a candidate for TRT - honestly I have nothing to really loose at least ‘trying’
I don’t want kids, and the loss of my sexual identity has really ruined my past five years.

Your in-depth explanation has really helped me make a decision on my next course of action.
I’ll hopefully be on the forums posting about my (hopefully positive) TRT journey.

Thanks Systemlord

You’re welcome.