285 lbs Raw Bench at 163

[quote]tap_u_out wrote:
Hey guys this is my new PR for the bench, 285 lbs. I weigh 163 lbs. Thanks to some of the members I decided to give a try Joe De Franco’s ws4sb and my bench went from 260 to 285 in less than 12 weeks.

I feel I could have pushed 290 but I went for 300 3 times and failed. the second one was close… my goal is to hit 315 by the end of December. My other lifts have gone up as well. I will post my workouts tomorrow. They change every two weeks.[/quote]

Very cool, how tall are you?

Nice lift brother, keep up the good work ( and the HARD work for that matter!)
You looked great and I’m sure you’ll hit your goals in due time.

[quote]timhlbrk wrote:
Nice lift brother, keep up the good work ( and the HARD work for that matter!)
You looked great and I’m sure you’ll hit your goals in due time.[/quote]

Good point, a lot of time it is merely a matter of time.

Awesome!!.. I’m truly impressed, nice work on that lift. Just keep in mind in a competition you can drive with your feet a lot, but you can’t move your feet on the floor(I got flagged for the slightest movement). Also, when the bar hits your chest, the judge will tell you when to come back up, it’s not an immediate thing. You might want to look into competing, a guy at your weight benching 300 or more is very respectable.

Keep up the great work, you’ll be hitting 315 in no time.

Thanks guys. Your comments really make me believe I’m on the right path, after all this is T-Nation! Anyways, I’m 5’9".

Also, I’ve been looking into competing, specially when I’m not getting ready for a big BJJ tournament, we’ll see… I just want my squat and deadlift to get bigger first though. There’s hope!

Nice lift brother, keep up the great work. You look awesome by the way.

First off I want to say good job on lifting 285. It looked solid.

As for the 300 attempt, I really think you should work on 290 first and keep your butt on the bench. Yes it would be badass to lift 300 (hell I am waiting to get their) however with that ass off the seat it stops that from being a bench IMHO…

Again great job on the 285. If you could of pulled your shoulders in more with a little wider grip and had the girl lift you off I really think 295 maybe 300lb would of been yours that day.

have you done any power rack work it will get you used to handelling over 300 lbs strenthen ligerments tendons and give you confidense with heavy singles

Great lift! Something struck me on your 300 attempt that also gets me everytime. On 285, you setup quick and pounded it out. On the 300, you were in there about 15 seconds prior to the lift. Whenever I spend too much time on setup the lift is usually blown (especially true for deadlifts). You most certainly had the strength to nail it. Again, just some food for thought. As a fellow 165’er, that was an impressive lift.

I have done rack work. I try to use as much variety as possible which the ws4sb allows me to do :). Also yi have noticed that the heavier I go the more time I spend on the set up… Good call. My log for today (max effort upper body):
a) BB floor press. Triple at 265, two at 275 (10 lbs less than a month ago… but I was sick with stomach flu last Monday)
b) DB floor press 1x15 @ 75, 1x13 @ 75
c) DB rows 3x10 @ 90 + rear delt flyes 3x10 @ 15
d) Power cleans 4x8 @ 90 + triceps press downs w/rope @ 80

This is day 1 of a two week wave. After 2 weeks I will switch the max effort exercise and some of the assistance exercises.

I do day 1-max effort upper body; day 2-repetition lower body; day 3-repetition upper body; day 4-max effort lower body. Jiu jitsu 3-4 days a week. Conditioning 1 day a week (if not competing)

just wondering have you tried a suplement called h blocker a preworkout suplement that as beta alanine in it makes you more explosive 2 scoops and your wired 45 mins before training my 18 teen year old daughter uses it 6 weeks out from a fight and hits like a mule she as done 6 reps on deadlift good form with 120 kilo at 54 kilo body weight and box jumps 16 inchies high for 8 reps holding 2 16 kilo kettlebells in each hand this stuf makes you explosive as fuck if you tap in you tube charlotte brown go down about 6 videos down to boxer sets record at hamer boxing club its an old one but not bad havent worked out yet how to put more vids on her fights ect im new to computers and fucking useless ha ha never mind hope you get 3oo soon and you have a great powerful looking build just looked at your profile and your a prison oficer we have a good old prison hear in manchester engaland that i got a gold patch in under b a w a 20 years ago at 82 kilo class did 450 lbs squat 340 bench and 545lbs deadlift no supersuit and no bench shirt oh the good old days ha ha

hey dose any body remember don blue a 148lber from the seventies who was a serving life but still lifted in the worlds the guy got stabed in prison about 12 times and still refused to be helped to the ambalance thats what tony fitton told me hey anbody remember tony fitton

[quote]zuffa wrote:
hey dose any body remember don blue a 148lber from the seventies who was a serving life but still lifted in the worlds the guy got stabed in prison about 12 times and still refused to be helped to the ambalance thats what tony fitton told me hey anbody remember tony fitton [/quote]

um

[quote]tap_u_out wrote:
Hey guys this is my new PR for the bench, 285 lbs. I weigh 163 lbs. Thanks to some of the members I decided to give a try Joe De Franco’s ws4sb and my bench went from 260 to 285 in less than 12 weeks. I feel I could have pushed 290 but I went for 300 3 times and failed. the second one was close… my goal is to hit 315 by the end of December. My other lifts have gone up as well. I will post my workouts tomorrow. They change every two weeks.[/quote]

A million congrats man!!! If you can do it I am certainly motivated. My goal is 200 bench by June 2010. I weigh 156 today but have come down from 167 in June. I just found out about the Bill Starr 5x5 program and find it great so far. Is that the same program you use??? Am at a good clean lift of 135 now so I started program at 125 for my first set of 5x5.

Am happy for you and chaulk one up for us less that 200 guys!

My program is DeFranco’s West Side for Skinny Bastards (ws4sb). Next week I will be switching to 5/3/1. I think it will do wonders.