T Nation

28 Y/O, TRT Started

Hi new here but been lurking around a while.

I’m 28, 5’ 10" , 230 lb( before i started feeling low t symptoms i was around 200)
Bodyhair mainly on chest , no so much on the arms or legs, facial hair is there not full but not patchy either. Fat used to be well distributed but now is mainly on abdominal area.
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? Used to hurt and with a fever but that went away after the hernia surgery.
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed? Morning wood is not there all the time , maybe once a week. Nocturnal if stimulated yes.

So i started feeling tired and sleepy all day long , hard to gain muscle and lose fat, no desire to do the things i used to love, like soccer, lifting, karate, surfing etc
This all started couple years ago and was gradually getting worse.
So last year had a acl meniscus repair 9 months later removed an inguinal hernia, after that everything got worst.

Looked it up and found about trt and decided to get checked, for my luck my primary care doctor is also an endocrinologist, so he did all the blood work.

1st bw

TEST TOTAL, LC/MS/MS. 323 250-1100 (ng/dL
TEST FREE 38.4 L 46.0-224.0 (pg/mL)
TEST BIOAVAILABLE 79.0 L 110.0-575.0 (ng/dL)
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN 36 10-50 (nmol/L)
ALBUMIN,SERUM 4.5 3.6-5.1 (g/dL)
FSH 2.0 1.6-8.0 (mIU/mL)
LH 1.8 1.5-9
T3Uptake 35.30 28.00-41.00 (%)
T4 7.58 4.50-11.70 (ug/dL)
FTI 2.68
Tsh 4.07
And dhea s , prolactin, psa, vitamin d, all fine

2nd bw
TEST TOTAL, LC/MS/MS 150 L 250-1100 (ng/dL)
FREE TESTOSTERONE 33.8 L 35.0-155.0 (pg/mL)

After that he put me on Androderm patches ,4mg 1 a day, and scheduled an MRI( which is gonna be next week) and an follow up appointment for 3 months from now.

My question:

How long does it take for me to feel any improvement, ive been on the patches for 20 days now and-nothing?
And why a follow up 3 months from now, isnt that too much time?
Should i wait more time or ask to switch to injections, because the patches sometimes fall, i do construction work and move my body a lot during the day?

Thanks in advance for any help and any more info please ask, i have access to all blood work.

Your thyroid is a mess.
Not using iodized salt?
Get cold easily?
Outer eyebrows sparse?

Links found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • protocol for injections
  • thyroid basics explained
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

With your thyroid problem, you may find that transdermal T does not work

Post that lab work with ranges.

PSA tested at 28yo, your doc really is an idiot, but endos are quite useless as a group.

Thyroid test 1

T3Uptake-----35.30------- 28.00-41.00 (%)
T4------- 7.58 ---------- 4.50-11.70 (ug/dL)
FTI----- 2.68
TSH ----- 4.07 --------- 0.27-4.20 (uIU/ml)

Thyroid test 2

T3Uptake-----38.07 -------28.00-41.00 (%)
T4-------5.92-------- 4.50-11.70 (ug/dL)
FTI------- 2.25
Total T3------- 88.24--------80.00-200.00 (ng/dL)
TSH------- 1.74------- 0.27-4.20 (uIU/ml)

Why you say is a mess? it seems to be within range and doc said thyroid looks fine, so I’m not taking anything for it. I don’t think i get cold easily, but my eyebrows always been kinda sparse

Was Thyroid test 2 taken after you started TRT?

Check out those links KSMan provided, he is the resident expert on this stuff.

Generally, for Thyroid (and often other hormones) being ‘in range’ in useless. Google sub-clinical hypothyroidism – because that is what you likely have. That TSH should be closer to 1.0 and those T3 / T4 values should be mid-range consistently.

Many of your symptoms sound hypothyroid. Your low test could also be caused by that.

Alright, that’s interesting, i will keep reading on the subject and bring that up to my dr. I was reading the material yesterday but felt asleep lol
Thanks for the response guys

This is not difficult :wink:

Been reading and , from what i found out at home my wife doesn’t use much salt , and i always liked her food so never bothered to ask till now, but on the other hand i take selenium 200mcg a day which your links show is good for thyroid health.
And btw the second thyroid test was done on the day I started trt.

Some info updated on the first post, MRI still on thursday, booked a app with my doc on the Thursday too( i am gonna take the day off anyway) want to tell him that the patches are a pain, itch a lot and sometimes fall during work.

MRI was done yesterday got to wait for an answer on it. Started supplementing this: http://www.amazon.com/Lugols-Iodine-Solution-Oz-Potassium/dp/B00WTJUML2/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462494790&sr=8-4&keywords=lugols+iodine+5 on my own, let’s see if it helps.

Changed from Androderm 4mg patches ( one a day) to test c 400mg a month ( which I’m going to pin 100 mg a week), when i have a new blood work I will post the numbers here.

got my blood work results which were drawn before my first injection.

Total test 208 -------250-1100(ng/dl)
Free test 40.2--------46-224(pg/ml)

Mind you that’s after a little over 20 days on Androderm 4mg patch a day.
Gonna have bw done again in 3 weeks, will post them here.
MRI came back normal, and feeling a bit better overall, been doing 100mg test cyp weekly, already done 2nd pin
Thanks for reading.