28 Y/O, No Libido and High Ferritin

My doctor knows about hemocromatosis and had a DNA test done and found that I have the carrying jean but a very unlikely chance of actually having the disease. I can’t remember how it all worked now. I did 2 blood donations about 6 weeks apart from each other and my ferritin went from like 584 down to 218. This fast drop is making me think it’s defiantly not due to hemocromatosis. What symptoms did you have before you found out about your ferritin?

What I don’t know Is, weather or not my symptoms are due to the ferritin keeping my testosterone low or from years of steroids without hcg. My testosterone didn’t go up as my ferritin came down.

My ferritin dropped more than that some weekends. I recorded every single total after donating. I’ll look it up and let you know.
I actually just went in because my stomach hurt so they did blood tests and happened to see my ferritin was high. It had nothing to do with my symptoms at the time. Just a random lucky blood test that showed it. Might’ve gone years without finding it otherwise.
I’d be shocked if you don’t have it. There’s really nothing else it could be as far as I know…I’ve done a shitload of research on it.

Just checked. In 2 months my ferritin went from 1,161 to 465. Obviously at first it takes huge drops because you have so much Iron in your blood. After you get to that level it really takes much longer to move it down. Plus you are constantly adding to it every meal. Cereal is a bitchbecause they are all artificially fortified with a shit ton of Iron.

Yeah I stopped eating cereal and anything fortified with iron for now for that reason. Have you done any reading on circumin and iron? Seems that a handful of people think it can help chelate it from your blood. My biggest question is though, is my ferritin keeping my testosterone down or hpta damage.

37C or 37.5C ? …

Keep using iodized salt.

No thyroid lab results?

Are your testes small and did they change on clomid?
How long on clomid?

Iron: Men do not need any added iron unless they have something like a GI bleed. You need to eliminate iron fortified foods:

• pasta
  • breads
  • rice
  • flour and mixes
  • high iron water
  • vitamins that list any iron, men’s formulae are iron free for a reason.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re Thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab numbers and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

No info on cirvumin. Maybe it helps maintain normal levels longer, but I don’t think it’ll alleviate anybody from having to have phlebotomy done every few months. I just don’t see how it could remove the amount of Iron that needs to be taken away from your bloodstream.
I don’t think the ferritin has anything to do with any of your other symptoms. Although, like I said before…when you have hemochromatosis, your body stores extra Iron instead of excreting it. One of the main places it stores Iron is in your your testicles. So maybe it is having an indirect effect on those things by causing other problems. Something worth checking out.

I stand corrected actually my temperature was around 36 degrees Celsius. I just took my temperature again with the same thermometer as I did last summer when I was checking and the last recording on it was 36 degrees. I took it now at 3:15 pm and it was 36.5. I did use some iodine last summer to see if it would bring temperatures up and it had no effect. Keep in mind it is a cheap thermometer from the drive store.

My TSH was taken one time during all my blood work and it was 1.25. It’s in one of those picture of my blood work.

My testicles have never changed sized from clomid or hcg administration. At one point I ran low dose clomid with an AI for around 8 weeks or so. I used the protocol in the sticky. This particular time was not right after a cycle, rather just trying to feel better.

I’ve cut out most heavy iron foods for the most part, cereals, pasta, and red meat mostly. And have been donating blood when I can. I need to get new labs done but my ferritin should be in the high 100s at this point.

@KSman

That is one thing my doctor suggested is excess iron will get stored in the testes and possibly the pituitary. Did you have high iron saturation % and high iron on top of high ferritin?

I honestly don’t know. My doctor basically said iron IS ferritin. I never was told of any iron saturation %. We only concentrated on getting my ferritin down, which I’m assuming brought everything else down with it.

Ferritin can also be an acute marker for inflammation so ferritin alone isn’t enough to say you have hemochromatosis. Sometimes elevated ferritin can just be a result of a different issue. It is however the shuttle for iron so elevated ferritin will still store iron in parts of your body that it shouldn’t not even if iron and saturation are not too high. This is my understanding from my research anyways.

Yes my testicles are what I would consider rather small. And do not change size with clomid. I have had my sperm checked a few years back and was told everything looked fine.

Just read over the restart sticky again. @KSman do you think it might be worth while for me to get my ferritin around 100 and then give a restart a try as outlined in the sticky. I’m sure my doc would prescribe me the hcg and give blood work done through. I won’t be able to get into the endo for a few months it sounds like anyways. Plus I read some reviews on her and they are mostly terrible :-1:t2:

Bump @KSman

Bump. Anyone think I should look into my thyroid more? TSH was 1.25 when it was checked, and last summer morning temps were 36 degrees celicus in the morning and 36.5 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. I could check them again because that was over 6 months ago when I was checking them. Can clenbuterol damage your thyroid?

Those temperatures are no good, your peak temperature is my morning temperature.

Check fT3, rT3, fT4 and antibodies. Suspect rT3 is elevated which can prevent fT3 from entering your cells. Also check cortisol levels. Clenbuterol won’t directly affect your thyroid, but it will impact your metabolism and you will experience a rebound post usage.

If rT3 is elevated is there a way to bring it down?

Read the sticky. That is adrenal fatigue and you will want to read Wilson’s book.

You have fT4–>rT3 and need to lower T4 by taking a time release T3, to depress TSH and lower T4 production while then tackling life changes.

We like to see ferritin at 80 to support proper T4–>T3 conversion.

Could my high ferritin be causing some thyroid issues then? And if I bring it down they may straighten them selves out? Looking at the blood work available in Canada (there is a picture in my original post) I don’t see rT3 and rT4 as options. I’m not sure if I can do private blood work in Canada or not I’ll have to look into that. I don’t think I have adrenal fatigue based on how it feel and how my lifestyle is. I get a good amount of sleep most nights, eat healthy fats, and a decent amount of carbs and I don’t over train myself, although I used to a couple years back. I do drink a lot of coffee but that is because I love coffee and not because I need it to get through the day.

Seems as though testing rT3 where I live is next to impossible. Would having fT3 and fT4 help to see what’s going on? With my TSH at 1.25 should I try IR and monitor body temps again?

doing a little research on Ferritin and Thyroid. It seems as though high ferritin could cause issues with the Thyroid, and vise versa.

can someone give their thoughts on this article please?

also this abstract is suggesting that high ferritin could elevate rt3.

Abstract
Extensive data from animal and human studies indicate that iron deficiency impairs thyroid metabolism. The aim of this study was to determine thyroid hormone status in iron-deficient adolescent girls. By stepwise random sampling from among all public high schools for girls in Lar and its vicinity in southern Iran, 103 out of 431 iron deficient subjects were selected. Urine and serum samples were collected and assayed for urinary iodine and serum ferritin, iron, total iron binding capacity (TIBC), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), free thyroid hormones (fT4 and fT3), triiodothyronine resin uptake (T3RU), reverse triiodothyronine (rT3), selenium and albumin concentrations. Hematological indices for iron status confirmed that all subjects were iron-deficient. There was a significant correlation between T4 and ferritin (r = 0.52, P < 0.001) and between TSH and ferritin (r = -0.3, P < 0.05). Subjects with low serum ferritin had a higher ratio of T3/T4 (r = -0.42, P < 0.01). Using stepwise regression analysis, only ferritin contributed significantly to the rT3 concentration (r = -0.35, P < 0.01). The results indicate that the degree of iron deficiency may affect thyroid hormone status in iron-deficient adolescent girls

my body temperatures have not been improving at all with IR and infact this morning my waking temperature was 35.8C.

What im trying to figure out is what is causing what, do i tackle the high ferritin first because that is causing thyroid issues. Or are thyroid issues causing high ferritin?