28 Days - Velocity Diet Journal

The Beginning of a New Beginning.

This is going to be my daily journal while on the Velocity Diet.

I finally decided that I’ve waited long enough, and enough is enough.

Current stats: 24, 5’7, 156.1 pounds at 18.8% body fat.

My plan is to do get rid of the abdominal fat I am carrying, before I work on bulking up and building some muscle mass.

Here’s the plan:
(I’m 52 cals above suggested on off days, and under by 16 cals on training days)

Training days:
4 shakes - Metabolic Drive - 2 scoops
4 servings flax seed meal
1 serving Surge Recovery + creatine (half during, half after workout)
2 x 2 capsules HOT-ROX Extreme
1 serving ZMA

1460 calories: 189 protein, 98 carbs, 30.5 fats

Non-Training days:
5 shakes - Metabolic Drive - 2 scoops
****** 2 shakes will only use 1.5 scoops instead of 2 ******
4 servings flax seed meal
4 capsules Flameout
2 x 2 capsules HOT-ROX Extreme
1 serving ZMA

1392 calories: 204 protein, 58 carbs, 47.6 fats

Green tea and water as desired.

I have also ordered some BCAA from Biotest, as Berardi views them as somewhat of an “insurance” against losing muscle mass.

I will be using Waterbury Method for training,
and NEPA walks every morning on the off days.
I am going to keep the intensity high on WM - around 90% 1RM.

Photos: (I know, I know… I am a hairy bastard!)

Other thoughts:
* Reduce stress and ensure adequate sleep.
* It’s only four weeks - think of finally achieving those changes!
* As my friend said, “Keep your shit together and run for the goal!”

I will be posting here daily to keep myself accountable.

Has anyone tried taking HOT-ROX Extreme 3 x 3, as Berardi uses in his Get Shredded diet, instead of the normal dose of 2 x 2?

Photos: I know, I know… I am a hairy bastard!

And another…

And another…

And one last one.

Training today, Day 1:

Training intensity, focus, and strength today were excellent.
Perhaps it’s because glycogen stores weren’t depleted,
since it’s only my first day on the V-Diet, and not yet feeling effects.
I did notice more sweating than normal, especially on the squats.
Went with the attitude that I might not be as strong as normal, but I will go balls to the walls and do my damnedest. I was surprised.

12/23/2007
3:21 - 4:24 PM,
~90% 1RM

BB back squat at/below parallel 220, 10x3, 70s rest
A1 Dip with 20 pounds, 4x6, 60s
A2 Bent-over BB row 135, 4x6, 60s
B1 Close-grip (8") BB bench press 95, 4x6, 60s
B2 BB preacher bar curls 70, 6,5,4,4, 60s
Reverse crunches 4x6, 30s

Drank 1/2 serving Original Surge during, and the other 1/2 after.
Man, I’ve never been this happy to do the Surge!

Well, It’s day 2 today!

Had some trouble sleeping last night - kind of like a jittery energy - I think it was the HOT-ROX I am getting used to. Was also very hungry - drank some water. From about 3 to 4 AM I was up and felt wide awake, ended up going on T-Nation :slight_smile: However after getting a few more hours of sleep my hunger decreased greatly. Relationship between sleep and hunger.

This morning I feel energetic and sharp. I don’t even need my green tea!
This diet has a strong psychological element, it has given me a new respect for myself and changed my perception of how I approach a problem - i.e. take initiative. Also, it’s amazing how much extra time I have without preparing and eating meals. Which is good because I’m studying for final exams.

Going to make two of my shakes with 1.5 scoops instead of 2 scoops on off days- that way I will only be over calories on off days by 52 calories instead of 162.

I used Sleep MD on the Velocity Diet during the first week or so due to being jittery from the HOT-ROX, you might want to check it out, supposedly all natural etc and worked like a charm.

The energetic and sharp feel def kicks in on days two three and four. Just stick with it. If you feel so hungry your about to explode and just need something to eat try some vinegar or a tiny tiny bit of natural PB (I’m talking like 1/10th of a TBSP). Just having the taste in my mouth helped me hold onto my sanity for the first two weeks when needed

[quote]Higgins wrote:
I used Sleep MD on the Velocity Diet during the first week or so due to being jittery from the HOT-ROX, you might want to check it out, supposedly all natural etc and worked like a charm.

The energetic and sharp feel def kicks in on days two three and four. Just stick with it. If you feel so hungry your about to explode and just need something to eat try some vinegar or a tiny tiny bit of natural PB (I’m talking like 1/10th of a TBSP). Just having the taste in my mouth helped me hold onto my sanity for the first two weeks when needed [/quote]

energetic and sharp feeling - well said.

I picked up some sleep aid from Rite Aid, going to take it with my ZMA tonight. I feel kind of like I usually feel when I’m “wired” - like a nervous jittery energy.

Found this post by Chris Shugart regarding BCAA’s:

[quote]
That’s not a bad plan, but not really needed for the V-Diet. However, as extra “muscle insurance,” you can use tablet-form BCAA in the manner below.

12 tablets a day (using the Biotest brand in this example):

3 tablets as soon as you wake up
3 tablets as you go to bed
6 tablets between shakes during the day (3 at a time)

Some people also wake up in the middle of the night and pop 3-6 tablets. Works great, but again, the V-Diet works great without this extra step too. It’s an option though. Certainly doesn’t hurt.[/quote]

BCAA’s came in today, I plan to follow that protocol. I was originally going to do Berardi’s Get Shredded diet so I ordered a few bottles.

[quote]wakiki wrote:

BCAA’s came in today, I plan to follow that protocol. I was originally going to do Berardi’s Get Shredded diet so I ordered a few bottles.[/quote]

Yeah I was gonna try the GS diet but the Velocity Diet seemed simpler and a complete overhaul of my eating habits which needed to be done. Good Luck with this, if you have any questions for someone that has been on the diet, feel free to PM me. I spend the greater amount of my time on T-Nation.

[quote]
Higgins wrote:

Yeah I was gonna try the GS diet but the Velocity Diet seemed simpler and a complete overhaul of my eating habits which needed to be done. Good Luck with this, if you have any questions for someone that has been on the diet, feel free to PM me. I spend the greater amount of my time on T-Nation.[/quote]

Thanks man! Yah, the simplicity of this diet appealed to me - much more than measuring out a small amount of food and calculating all the macros etc, and wanting to eat more and not being so strict about portion sizes etc - with this diet, it is very clear and structured.

Day 2…

Very clear head, mind working very fast today, but had a little bit of grumpiness in the afternoon.

Did some treadmill walking for NEPA today - 1 hour at 3.5 MPH, it was great because I used earplugs and studied my notes for an exam tomorrow at the same time!

Coming off the treadmill after that hour, I felt so incredibly relaxed, and my mind feels so sharp and clear! I am going to do this 4x per week on my “off” days! It’s exhilarating… and I’m sure the 174 calories (rough, I know) helps too!

It occurred to me just now that what sets us apart at T-Nation is that since we put forth extreme effort, we are able to experience extreme joy.

Rock on everyone… I love this site!

I respect anyone that can stick with the V Diet. I tried it at the begining of my fat loss journey, but it was too extreme of a jump. I only lasted 14 days but lost 10 pounds on it. The V Diet defintly cured my junk food cravings thou.

You’ve mentioned this in a few of your posts – Out of curiosity, what type of carbs were you eating before?

I’m asking because I had felt sluggish a few years ago, then tweaked my diet to adjust for certain types of carbs and suddenly I was feeling way less sluggish.

I was on the Velocity Diet about 2 years ago and was pretty much unable to function mentally, though the HOT-ROX helped somewhat.

I’m doing the V-Diet again and there’s a big difference with the tweaks they’ve made in HOT-ROX since then. I’m able to function much better with two caps at a time. I might consider going for 3, per your question about Berardi’s article.

Good luck with the diet, the results are well worth it.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
wakiki wrote: I felt so incredibly relaxed, and my mind feels so sharp and clear!

You’ve mentioned this in a few of your posts – Out of curiosity, what type of carbs were you eating before?

I’m asking because I had felt sluggish a few years ago, then tweaked my diet to adjust for certain types of carbs and suddenly I was feeling way less sluggish.

I was on the Velocity Diet about 2 years ago and was pretty much unable to function mentally, though the HOT-ROX helped somewhat.

I’m doing the V-Diet again and there’s a big difference with the tweaks they’ve made in HOT-ROX since then. I’m able to function much better with two caps at a time. I might consider going for 3, per your question about Berardi’s article.

Good luck with the diet, the results are well worth it.
[/quote]

Before this diet I was following Berardi’s No Nonsense Nutrition. I was getting my carbs from fruit and fibrous vegetables. Mostly broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, apples, plums, some pineapple. No processed carbs except for Surge.

The feeling of relaxation and clear-headedness is something I very often feel after doing any form of “cardio” exercise. I feel great after lifting too, but it’s a very different sensation.

I’m glad I got the “tweaks” in HOT-ROX, final exams start tomorrow for me, so lots of studying…

When you say that you “tweaked your diet” are you talking about cutting out processed carbs?

Best of luck on the V-Diet.

Day 3:

Workout today (Waterbury Method)

BB bench press 10x3
A1 Romanian DB deadlift 4x6
A2 Standing BB military press 4x6
B1 Machine calf press 4x6
B2 Upright rows 4x6
Triceps press-downs 4x6

Today I noticed some strength decrease in my arms and chest. Upper body seems to be affected while strength in my legs and lower body is fine. The worst hit was the bench press.

I’m not sure if I should lower my intensity. I was doing sets at 87.5% 1RM. Anyone have this happen?

Yup. My trainer at the time, Mike Mahler, revamped my diet and had me study up on the acid/alkaline balance in foods. I noticed a difference in a day after I switched.

Regarding your strength question, it might be a matter of the carb loss kicking in.

I wouldn’t get into a panic about any strength loss, however. I didn’t make much progress on my bench the first time around the V Diet, but my dips and pullups increased at the end. If I remember correctly, Shugart said people probably won’t have serious strength increases, but at the same time, they might be able to do more reps for certain exercises (dips, pullups) due to the weight loss.

Just don’t forget your Surge at the gym. One day I forgot mine and was pretty lightheaded about halfway through the workout.

Oh, and if you ever have second thoughts or aren’t sure if you can finish the diet, keep this in mind - The first time I did the V-Diet, I ended up losing 25 lbs in 5 weeks. My former co-workers didn’t recognize me at first glance and whenever I’d be in line somewhere and catch a reflection of it in the mirror, I’d do a double take at the reflection because I couldn’t figure out where I was in line (it took me about 1 1/2 months for my mind to catch up to the new eight my body was at).

Good luck on your finals!

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
Yup. My trainer at the time, Mike Mahler, revamped my diet and had me study up on the acid/alkaline balance in foods. I noticed a difference in a day after I switched.

Regarding your strength question, it might be a matter of the carb loss kicking in.

I wouldn’t get into a panic about any strength loss, however. I didn’t make much progress on my bench the first time around the V Diet, but my dips and pullups increased at the end. If I remember correctly, Shugart said people probably won’t have serious strength increases, but at the same time, they might be able to do more reps for certain exercises (dips, pullups) due to the weight loss.

Just don’t forget your Surge at the gym. One day I forgot mine and was pretty lightheaded about halfway through the workout.

Oh, and if you ever have second thoughts or aren’t sure if you can finish the diet, keep this in mind - The first time I did the V-Diet, I ended up losing 25 lbs in 5 weeks. My former co-workers didn’t recognize me at first glance and whenever I’d be in line somewhere and catch a reflection of it in the mirror, I’d do a double take at the reflection because I couldn’t figure out where I was in line (it took me about 1 1/2 months for my mind to catch up to the new eight my body was at).

Good luck on your finals!

[/quote]

25 pounds in 5 weeks. wow, that’s a lot. Congratulations!
How much of that was water/glycogen weight that you gained back?

One of the things Berardi incorporated into the sample meal plan in No Nonsense Nutrition was actually balancing out acids/bases in each meal.

Surge in the gym is non-negotiable. I start sipping it about 5 minutes in, after a short warm-up. I figure that even if I lose some strength, it is worth it because I have never been too lean and, from what I gather, it is much better to lean out before trying to get big, because your body better handles carbs, etc.

But as many others have commented, it’s a reality check when you find out that under the fat, you are pretty small…

Day 4:

Treadmill, 60 mins @ 3.5 MPH.

Observations:

The hunger is not as bad.

Very difficult to fall asleep last night, moved up the second serving of HOT-ROX today and got some SleepAid from RiteAid.

Noticed my arms and chest are looking pretty flat.

I’ve never had as much energy and “wired-ness” as I have while on the V-Diet. Mental and emotional clarity also noticeably improved.

Decided to try to continue working out at ~ 87.5% of my normal 1RM, I might get fewer reps/sets in but I will keep with the high load.

Onward!

[quote]wakiki wrote:
How much of that was water/glycogen weight that you gained back?
[/quote]

The requisite 5 pounds Shugart has written about. After I dropped to 200, I slipped back up to 205 and stayed there for awhile.

The junk food cravings Shugart mentioned was nipped in the bud too. Kinda odd to read about it, then experience it.

I’d been overweight for so long that being “small” didn’t bug me at all. I was fitting into clothes I hadn’t worn since college (10 years ago).

I think Chris wrote an article about feeling “small” physiquewise, and addresses some possible psych issues behind it.

Anyway, back to you - how’s it been going the past few days? - Ah, you posted just before I did. Falling asleep was a problem for me too. Hopefully the stuff from Rite Aid will work for you.

Side note for Day 4:

Until now I’ve been using a Vitamin Shoppe brand of milled flax seeds.

Today I picked up a new brand - Carrington Farms - at GNC, which was slightly more expensive, but had a better nutritional profile - more healthy fats instead of protein and carbs. And the new one has the same/less overall calories per serving - I noticed that the Vitamin Shoppe brand was “partially defatted.” Screw. That.

All I can say is WOW this stuff tastes so much better! I could not believe how good it tasted with my Banana Cream Metabolic Drive! Yum :slight_smile:

Here is a link: gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2930682&cp&sr
=1&origkw=carrington+farms&kw=carrington+farms&parentPage=search

Serving size: 2 Tbsp (12 g)
Servings per container 38
Calories 50, Calories from fat 45
Total fat 4.8g
Saturated fat 0.4 g
Polyunsaturated fat 3.5g
Monounsaturated fat .9g
Total carbohydrates 3g
Dietary fiber 3g
Protein 2g

*side note: I guess they’re not counting the calories from fiber. Multiply fat by 9 calories, protein and carbs by 4, you would get a total of 63.2 calories.