T Nation

28, 3 Weeks Into TRT. Initial Labs

Height: 5 11
Weight: 245

Brief history: Former D1 athlete. Even as I lifted 5 days a week and was trained by some of the best trainers and nutritionists in the country I never really was able to achieve results like my teammates. I was in good shape, but looking back my body composition should have been much better. Anyway.

After college I gained 60 pounds due to lifestyle and sitting in front of a computer at work. Diet sucked. Rarely worked out. Even developed some depression and anxiety (both are in check now thankfully). A couple years ago I was able to drop 20 of those pounds and get down to where I am now 245. I have a decent workout regimen and my diet is much improved buy my overall health and weight won’t budge. I had zero energy and just felt crappy. I decided to get blood levels check. Here were the results:

Glucose: 86 (65-99)
BUN: 13 (16-20)
AST: 32 (0-40)
ALT: 52 high (0-44)
TSH: 4.250 low (0.450-.0450)
LH: 8.5 (1.7-8.6)
FSH: 1.9 (1.5-12.4)
Prolactin: 14.3 (4-15.2)
WBC: 7.1 (3.4-10.8)
RBC: 5.35 (4.14-5.80)

Hemoglobin: 16.10 (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit: 46.3 (37.5-51.0)
MCV: 87 (79-97)
MCH: 30.1 (26.6-33.0)
MCHC: 34.8 (31.5-35.7)
RDW: 13.1 (12.3-15.4)
Platelets: 278 (150-379)

Sexd Horm Binding Glob, Serum: 13.0 low (16.5-55.9)
Estradiol: 23.9 (7.6-42.6)

TT: 222 low (600-800)
CFT: 6.54

Have been getting 120mg injections for past 3 weeks from doctor. After week 5 we are running another blood test. If everything looks normal doc says we will start doing 200mg/week and keep it there. Blood tests every few months or so. So far I would so I can feel immediate increase in libido. Erections are constant and recently had a date and we went 3 rounds in bed afterwards. Don’t think that’s ever been possible in the past.

Main purpose of starting TRT is general overall sense of well being. Also I have had so much trouble losing weight/changing my body. Energy is non existent. And as I mentioned before this has always been an issue. Even when I was being trained by some of the best people in the business. My endurance in my bootcamp workouts has improved slightly since starting TRT as well.

One thing I will also mention is my thyroid. In college I took supplements that were supposed to help my thyroid. I think that had a lot to do with me being so healthy during school. I think my thyroid might be underperforming a little bit so I will look in to the iodine as mentioned in stickies as well as Selenium (doctor mentioned that). Also my body temp has been around 96 for past year or so. Low.

Doctor was fine with adding HCG if I requested it so I will probably add that to the mix next week to keep my nuts from completely shutting down. All if this is covered by my health insurance through work which is great. $30 a week out of my pocket. I am glad to be here and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on my initial bloodwork and treatment. Have a great day!

Edit: Also I was two months premature and my nuts have always been small and contract a lot. So I will be watching the marbles closely.

Edit 2: My single only concern with this is having kids. im at least 5 or 6 years away from wanting kids. If I have to come off TRT for a while to get my future wife pregnant I will do it.

Welcome to the club; I’ve been on TRT for almost eighteen months. Things continue to improve so be patient. Later, you might look into self injection and save yourself the $30. I pay $5 for a 10ml vial, plus the needles, and that lasts 14 weeks.

Good luck.

Thank you for the response. I look forward to hearing other’s responses to my lab work as well. Does this look like a decent iodine supp?

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nascent-iodine-detoxadine.html?gclid=CPft15PQ3MsCFZWFaQodrVMBCA

Considering my LH level, and the fact that I was premature and my balls never dropped or fully developed, I hit puberty very late, those all point to primary hypogonadism correct?

Hey dudes. I finally found a PA in DFW that is really really knowledgable with TRT. Was very skeptical about the blood work from the Low T Center (in OP) so he took blood today to run his own tests.

Previously I was going to Low T Center once a week for injections. Would not give me HCG.

New doc has me self injecting the following:

0.4 test cyp twice a week
250mg HCG three time a week
Said after I get my blood work back next week he will determine if Arimadex is needed and dosage.

Really relieved. This guy was very knowledgable. Picked up meds and syringes at my normal pharmacy. Very excited about being on this new regimine. Slightly nervous about self injecting but I will get over it quickly.

Picked up my test and HCG from the compounding pharmacy and the cost is amazing. I’m so surprised. My 4 week supply of test was $12. Insurance covered $80 of it. 800mg.

My HCG was $60 and the supply is good for almost 4 months. 250 mg 3 times per week. Hell the syringes cost me more than everything else. I’m just surprised how cost effective this is. I was also under the impression that most health insurance did not cover Test, but mine almost paid for the whole thing. Just an observation.

Just got results back from new doctor that is now letting me self inject. Quick backstory I went to a Low T clinic for 4 weeks and they had no clue what they were doing. Had me on 100 mg cyp per week. No HCG. New doc has me on 0.4 cyp twice a week and 250mg HCG 3 times per week. New doc wanted to run tests on my first visit so the new test results are after 4 weeks 100mg test cyp per week. Since the test, I have been on the new protocol. Any and all feedback welcome please.

Original results from First visit with crappy doctor (also posted in my original post):
Glucose: 86 (65-99)
BUN: 13 (16-20)
AST: 32 (0-40)
ALT: 52 high (0-44)
TSH: 4.250 low (0.450-.0450)
LH: 8.5 (1.7-8.6)
FSH: 1.9 (1.5-12.4)
Prolactin: 14.3 (4-15.2)
WBC: 7.1 (3.4-10.8)
RBC: 5.35 (4.14-5.80)

Hemoglobin: 16.10 (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit: 46.3 (37.5-51.0)
MCV: 87 (79-97)
MCH: 30.1 (26.6-33.0)
MCHC: 34.8 (31.5-35.7)
RDW: 13.1 (12.3-15.4)
Platelets: 278 (150-379)

Sexd Horm Binding Glob, Serum: 13.0 low (16.5-55.9)
Estradiol: 23.9 (7.6-42.6)

TT: 222 low (600-800)
CFT: 6.54

NEW results after 4 weeks TRT. Going forward am on new protocol:

Total test: 485 (300-1080 ng/dl)
SHBG: 13L (16.5-55.9 NMOL/L)
Free test: 15.2 (4.8-25.7 NG/Dl)
Estradiol: 20.2 (10.0-25.7)

TSH: 1.3 (0.5-4.7 UIU/ml)
T3: 3.3 (2.3-4.2 PG/ML)
T4: 7.7 (4.4-12.4 UG/DL)

I know it’s different doctors and different labs but my TSH is quite different and I figured my estrogen might be a little higher after 4 weeks on TRT. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks everyone.

Please read these links found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • thyroid basics explained - check oral body temperatures as suggested

Many low-T guys here have thyroid issues, often because they were not using iodized salt.

That iodine supplement looks OK. If the taste bothers you, find Iodoral at amazon.
Iodine supplements lead to higher TSH and that can be misleading.

Low thyroid function robs your energy and causes weight gain.
Starvation diets can create problems!

Suggest that you self inject twice a week to get steadier levels. Use #29 0.5ml [50iu] 1/2" insulin needles and inject SC or IM, whatever seems more comfortable. SC does avoid decades of muscle damage.

Your lab targets are high normal TT [900-100], high normal FT, E2 near E2=22pg/ml

"TSH: 4.250 low (0.450-.0450)"
should be
TSH 4.25 HIGH [.5 - 4.5]?
Last thyroid labs are not bad, body temperatures are needed

LH oddly high.
After been on TRT for a while, test LH/FSH one time. These should trend towards zero, if not, a tumor or adinoma is suspected.

Test prolactin again, it is getting to be a concern as this can be from a pituitary adinoma.

Hey Ksman you were reading my initial labs. Not my most recent labs. You will notice I posted two labs. And my protocol has changed. Would appreciate thoughts on new labs and protocol.

SHBG levels are decreased by androgens, administration of anabolic steroids,[20] polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothyroidism, obesity, Cushing’s syndrome, and acromegaly. Low SHBG levels increase the probability of Type 2 Diabetes

Get those body temperatures to clarify.

Get fasting glucose tested next time.

Just got my iodine drops in the mail. I ordered them after my initial labs. But then after seeing my second labs, I’m not sure if I should take them. Thoughts?

Hoping someone can provide some feedback.

TSH: 1.3 (0.5-4.7 UIU/ml)
T3: 3.3 (2.3-4.2 PG/ML)
T4: 7.7 (4.4-12.4 UG/DL)

It is best to have fT3 and fT4.

Please post oral body temperatures as requested two weeks ago.

Ok guys I am about 10 weeks in now. Got tested last week and testosterone level was up to 906 so we are going to maintain there. Estrogen has creeper up to 43 so we are now going to add Arimidex .5 mg once per week to see how my estrogen reacts to that. Thoughts on that Arimidex protocol please. Thanks!

How has your response been? Do you feel better ? When did the changes start kicking in?

Ps my estrogen was at 20.2 8 weeks ago. The fact that it is now at 48 seems like plenty of reason to try and AI.

you hit the jackpot with that Dr…wish i could find one like that in Houston. Need to switch to 2x’s a week injections after being on same dose for a year.