T Nation

27, Low TT and No FT. What is Going On?

Hey @KSman / @systemlord

Finally got a GP appointment for this weekend, based on the above temp readings, and the results I got above on my private bloods, what tests would I be reasonable in asking for?

Thanks again.

Feb-7 - 96.9

Feb 8 - 96.9
Feb 9 - 96.9
Feb10 -96.4

Mixed results from todays trip to the doctor.

On the concerning side she was “more concerned about the elevated iron and creatine levels than the thyroid and male hormone results” which frankly blew my mind.

On the positive side they took a load of my blood and she is going to order some additional bloods.

Another negative is that I don’t actually know what tests she is ordering. But I guess I will be able to guage how seriously she is going to take my issues by what tests she orders. 4 vials of blood suggests there will at least be a lot of new data.

Those can be cardiovascula disease markers. Hence the greater concern… nothing to panic about but yes your doctors priorities are not wrong. Just make sure she doesn’t get tunnel vision

Feb 13 - 96.1
Feb 15 - 97 - Apparently a big cheat meal before bed helps.
Feb 16 - 96.1 Back to business as usual.

if you get too lean it messes up your hormones… you need fat for testosterone production

A Finnish study by Hämäläinen et al.2 is also a prime example of the importance of total fat intake. The researchers made their subjects switch from a diet containing 40% calories fat (mainly from animal sources) into a diet that contained 20% calories from fat (mainly from PUFA), and then back again into the 40% fat. They found that testosterone levels plummeted when the subject switched to the low-fat diet, and returned back higher when the fat intake was lifted back to 40%. Another human study by Bélanger et al. did similar change and saw similar results, switching to lowered fat intake (and higher PUFA) resulted in significantly lower levels of androgens3.

Interesting study, unfortunately I typically get at least 40% of my calories from fat, usually more and am definitely not anywhere near the kind of ‘bodybuilder lean’ that should start fucking up hormones (avatar pic is pretty old)

Thanks for checking in though and appreciate the comment.

So my doc got my blood tests back today and basically they are all meaningless.

At our first appointment where the bloods were drawn I outlined the supplements I was taking:

Iodone
selenium
zinc
magnesium
Vit b5
Vit d3
Creatine

On getting my bloods back she consulted with a biochemist and they have decided that all of my results will be impacted by one or more of my supplements so I have to stop all supplement intake for 4 weeks and have the bloods re-drawn.

So down-side, more than 4 weeks until I get any answers.

Up-side she said she would refer me to an endocrinologist if my bloods come back in similar ranges to where they are currently.

Sounds bogus to me. Larger dose iodine will jack up TSH numbers.

Feb19 - 96.45

Hi Pinky, I’m uk too. I’d like to get my estradiol tested - what private labs did you use, please?

I used Medichecks. Very good service and super quick.

Ah brilliant, I used them recently for thyroid bloods :slight_smile:

What option did you use to get the comprehensive testosterone, estradiol blood work, please?

There is a male hormone sub section. Can get testosterone check, male hormone, male hormone plus, male hormone ultra.

I went with sport hormone plus to get thyroid and Testosterone panel both.

Cool mate, thanks :slight_smile:

Awesome you’re checking all this stuff out. I had a look at your training log - very inspirational!

As you’re 27, I’d exhaust all the blood work investigatiins plus diet & environment changes before looking to medication. That’s just my personal perspective though!

Thanks bud, definitely agree. Will exhaust everything I can to get back to endogenous production.

Feb 21 - 96.0

Second round of tests after just over 5 weeks of HCG 250 eod (18 shots total)

The below results come after a total of 4500iu of HCG, when the bloods were drawn was about 1 week after the last HCG shot. Total T was up very slightly from before (7.89) with a correlating increase in Free T, but both still crazy low. Not sure how to interpret the fact that it rose, but also that it’s still so low.

@KSman (or anyone else) would appreciate your comments.

Hormones
TESTOSTERONE 10.2 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40
FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED ) *0.195 nmol/L 0.30 - 1.00
17-BETA OESTRADIOL <18.4 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 32.7 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00
PROLACTIN 158 mIU/L 86.00 - 324.00

What is your iodine dosage? I notice that your temp hasn’t come up at all. Are you shooting for KSmans recommendation of hitting 750mg and then cutting back on dosage?