T Nation

26yrs old, Abnormal Low T over 3yrs. Drs/Endo Not Having Any Clues

Hey Everyone,

I am an 26 year old male who is willing to share his life story to you guys and hopefully get some support or clues of determining what the heck is wrong with me.

I have been suffering from low T levels for the past 3 years and have been in an ongoing blood test journey with my doctors and endo to identify the potential cause. It has come to a stage that I am suffering major brain fog, depression/anxiety, low self esteem, memory loss. no sexual desires and has been effecting the joy of my life. I don’t even want to get out with friends or do anything.

I have been doing more than 20 blood test and changed by GP over 3 times to see what others can recommend and came to a stage where I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t just want to do TRT without figuring out the underlying cause as my blood result does show some indications of something not being right. It’s just that the GP can’t puzzle it out of what it could be.

I am 26 year as mentioned above and weight 75KG pretty lean. Do 5 days a week medium intensity workout and throw nearly always a bit of cardio which can be 10 min HIIT or 15 min Slow steady. I gain weight very easily and therefore try to keep my diet on point.

I have tested so many blood samples, but the things that have been pointed out of balance are

• LH which is extremely low (<1)
  • Low T (2.9nmol/L & 6.7nmol/L)
  • Low Calc. free T (0.056 & 0.169 nmol/L)
  • Low white cells (3.2)
  • Consistent high Bili and ALT over the last 3 year
    * Bili (33)
    * ALT (52)
    high Urea (10.2,mmol/L)

I have done a CT scan of my pituitary gland showing normal. Ultrasound of my scrotum which appeared to be normal (only 2mm cyst on epididymal head is suspected). Doctor mentioned not to worry about this. Also did a semen analysis which all appeared to be normal.

The following appear to be normal, Glucose (4.8 fasted), FSH (3), prolactin (154mU/L), Thyroid (TSH) 2.17, Iron (20).

I just can’t figure out what is causing me to feel so down not willing to do anything. Please let me know if you want any additional results or have some recommendation what to do because i am seriously running out of options.

Please post labs in list format and must have lab ranges which vary by lab and by units of measure.

Your low T and LH/FSH indicate problem with hypothalamus and/or pituitary. You could inject hCG 250iu subq EOD and then the testes may prove to be functional.

You could take 25mg Clomid EOD or 20mg Nolvadex EOD and then test: TT, FT, E2, LH/FSH. If LH/FSH are good, pituitary is somewhat functional. If clomid makes you feel bad, switch to Nolvadex which does not have that problem that some guys have. If this works, you could keep using it and fertility is protected.

Training when energy levels are low from [low-T, thyroid problems] typically is from adrenalin induced energy and that is very stressful on the adrenals and is not sustainable, leading to a hard crash in some cases.

AST/ALT is easily increased by training and sore non-recovered muscles, doctors should be aware of that.

Need:
TT
FT
LH/FSH
E2
SHBG
prolactin
CBC
hematocrit
fasting cholesterol - can be too low
fasting glucose
AM cortisol
DHEA-S

age 26
height
weight
waist size
medical issues
meds, Rx and OTC

TSH should be nearer to 1.0
thyroid lab ranges are insane, do not care if ‘normal’, need numbers
any other thyroid lab results
You may be iodine deficient. Try to locate iodize salt and use exclusively.

Please eval overall thyroid function via last paragraph in this post.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.