265kg Bench Press @ 82,25kg Bodyweight (IPF Comp.)

1 desember 2008

Week1 - day1

- Squat with wraps (five rounds):
5x6 with 150kg

- Bench press wide grip:
5x6 with 110kg

- Lattrowing:
3x8 with 80kg

- Facepulls:
3x12

Comment: My form isnt the best at the moment due to a cold, but I couldnt skip traing…

Today I did 17 reps with a 100kg at approx. 77kg bw in the bench press. This was done after 5x4 with 130kg with stop 6-8cm from the chest, so 20 reps fully fit shoultn’t be a problem…

2 january 2009

Max reps with 120kg (approx. 264pounds) at approx. 77kg bodyweight. I did almost 12, but in top condition I should be able to do at least 15…

awesome log, thanks for posting! really looking forward to following your training.

If you don’t mind, I’d be very curious to see a layout or overview of your training plan. I am not familiar with your style of training. Thanks!

Very well done and great log! Good luck this year!

10 january 2009

This was the day I wanted to test my 1rm squat, but since I’ve never done more than 170kg without gear I was pretty exited. I knew I had at least 10-15kg more in me when I did 170, but didn’t really know what i expect. 170kg felt like air today, so I loaded the bar with 200kg. I got it up twice, but the depth wasn’t good enough. It really pisses me off, but next time I’m gonna nail it properly!

[quote]Ramo wrote:
awesome log, thanks for posting! really looking forward to following your training.

If you don’t mind, I’d be very curious to see a layout or overview of your training plan. I am not familiar with your style of training. Thanks![/quote]

Thanks, pleased to hear that! I shall try to write in my log more often, and I can try to summarise my workout-schedule.

[quote]benbriz wrote:
Very well done and great log! Good luck this year![/quote]

Thank you! I think this year might be even better than the last because I now can eat as much as I like. I’m pretty sure that lack of food held me back last year, but I had to do that to compete in the -75kg class. I guess my 1rm lifts are approx. 200+ - 150+ - 260+ and I hope this would be somewhere around 260+ - 190+ - 280+ equipped…

My training plan:

The basic idea behind my training plan is that I’ve got six weeks “quantity-training” and six weeks of training which I use to focus in improving my 1rm strengt. In the first sex weeks I try to gain muscles, but not so much improve my 1rm strength as the six last weeks.

My first week of the twelve looks like this:

Monday:
Squat:
5x6 with wraps but no belt

Bench press:
5x6 with wide grip

Lattrowing:
3x10-12

Facepulls:
3x10-12

Wednesday:
Deadlift:
5x6

Bench press:
5x6 with 1 board

Friday:
Squat:
6x4 with stop in the bottom of the lift

Deadlift:
6x4 standing on 5cm board

Skullcrushers:
3x10-15

I then remove on rep each week for three weeks, but increases the weights. I do this for three weeks, and then starts on the same schedule as week1. When the six “quantity-training” weeks are over, I proceed to the “maximum-strengt” period.

I use the exact same exercises, but I do less reps, but I might do some more sets. The most important thing is however to increase the weights. The first week of my “maximum-strengt” period looks like this:

Monday:
Squat:
6x3 with wraps, but no belt

Bench press:
8x2 with wide grip
Lattrowing:
3x6-8

Facepulls: 3x10-12

Wednesday:
Deadlift:
6x3 med

Bench press:
7x2 with 1board

Friday:
Squat:
5x3 with stop in the bottom of the lift

Deadlift:
5x3 standing on 5cm board

Skullcrushers:
5x5-8

I have to apologicy for my english/american-writing due to the fact that I’m from Norway and not used to write in english/american. It isn’t the easiest thing to explain my training plan, but please ask if there’s something I might answer.

Your explanation is clear and much appreciated. Your training looks a lot like Albert Fomin’s style or Stefan Korte’s. Are you familiar with these training plans?

I look forward to following your log. Best of luck with everything.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
Your explanation is clear and much appreciated. Your training looks a lot like Albert Fomin’s style or Stefan Korte’s. Are you familiar with these training plans?

I look forward to following your log. Best of luck with everything.[/quote]

Hmmmm, no I’m not familiar with these training plans. I’ve based my training plan on what Dietmar Wolf (Norwegian powerlifting coach), but most of all Frode Rui’s programs. Frode Rui was (he has been injured for some time, and isn’t at his prime at the moment) a top international powerlifter with 375-262,5-365 as his best results.

Here’ s a vid. of Frode Rui and Asbjørn Randen. Randen is currently the Europeen Powerlifting Champion.

(Heard of them, by the way?)

And once again - thanks for the best of luck-wishes! I shall, as I said earlier, try to utdate my log more often with workoutrelated stuff.

[quote]cheeta wrote:
Hey are you still a Jr? if so will you be doing the Scandinavian jr. championship (dont know really what its called lol) in april and the european jr. championship in july? [/quote]

Hi!

I’m unfortunately not Jr. anymore, but I guess I wouldn’t been able to compete in the “Nordisk mesterskap” (Skandinavian Jr. Championship) or the European Jr. Championship due to the fact that I haven’t been on the Jr. national powerliftingteam.

Not good enough…

12 january 2009

- Squat:
6x3 with 160kg

- Bench press:
8x2 with 130kg

Comment: I’m pretty satisfied with the squat today because it was easier than I expected. I’ve coult have squatted with a fem more kiloes (10?), but due to the lack of spotters I didn’t push it to the limit today. The bench press was all too heavy, but I guess it will be easier once I’m closer to the end of the next six weeks… (I’ve just started the six “maximum strengh” period).

[quote]KimG wrote:
Ramo wrote:

Hmmmm, no I’m not familiar with these training plans. I’ve based my training plan on what Dietmar Wolf (Norwegian powerlifting coach), but most of all Frode Rui’s programs. Frode Rui was (he has been injured for some time, and isn’t at his prime at the moment) a top international powerlifter with 375-262,5-365 as his best results.

Here’ s a vid. of Frode Rui and Asbjørn Randen. Randen is currently the Europeen Powerlifting Champion.

And once again - thanks for the best of luck-wishes! I shall, as I said earlier, try to utdate my log more often with workoutrelated stuff. [/quote]

I’ve heard of Frode Rui…don’t think I’ve heard of the other chap. Thanks for the vids.

I like your training setup and look forward to tracking your progress. Good log.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
KimG wrote:
Ramo wrote:

And once again - thanks for the best of luck-wishes! I shall, as I said earlier, try to utdate my log more often with workoutrelated stuff.

I’ve heard of Frode Rui…don’t think I’ve heard of the other chap. Thanks for the vids.

I like your training setup and look forward to tracking your progress. Good log.
[/quote]

Ah, ok. Randen was the first norwegian to lift over 1000kg at the same event, so he’s known to be the best norwegian powerlifter at the moment. Frode Rui which I train with was a top international athlete, but his main event was the deadlift. 365kg at approx. 125kg ins’t bad in my opinion.

Anyway; it’s nice to hear that my setup seems okay - I really hope it will affect my strength in a positive way, but we’ll see when this year’s over…

[quote]cheeta wrote:
that sucks, look on the bright side we are still neighbours :wink: fun to see someone else from scandinavia around here :slight_smile:

venlig hilsen[/quote]

Well, it could have been very interesting to compete against the best juniorlifters in Skandinavia or Europe, but one reason is that I haven’t been able to compete internationally is that I started powerlifting in 2008. I’ve been competing in the bench press since 2005, but started competing in powerlifting last year.

By the way, which country are you from? :slight_smile:

[quote]cheeta wrote:
KimG wrote:
By the way, which country are you from? :slight_smile:

Im from Iceland :slight_smile:

Yeah it also would have been fun to meet other ppl from T-Nation in the scandinavian jr. and european jr. meets, but maybe some other time in the open classes :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
[/quote]

Ah, from Iceland. I’ve really wanted to go there on holiday, mostly because I saw Jeremy Clarkson and the rest of the guys from Top Gear was there once. I want to rent a car and drive around without any major goal. That could be nice, don’t you think?

And yeah, I really hope I will be able to compete internationally in the open classes, most likely -82,5. Could be fun to meet people from T-Nation, but if you’re going to the Europeen Jr in 2010 maybe we could hook up for a powerlifting session after the competition. I think the Europeen Jr. is in Norway in 2010. Or is it the Skandinavian Jr.-thing (whatever it’s called…)

14 january 2009

- bench press with narrow grip:
10x5 with 110kg

- Deadlift from 5cm board:
5x3 with 160kg

- Chins:
5x5

Comment: I guess I overdid the bench press today, and I wasn’t even supposed to do bench press with narrow grip today, but boardpress. Due to the fact that I forgot my 8cm board, I had to change exercise, but clearly pushed it to far. No harm done since I’m not supposed to bench press until monday.

Anyway; the picture that I’ve attached is taken recently, and I’m delighted to say that I finally got some lats…

17 january 2009

- Squat with stop in the bottomposition:
5x3 with 150kg

- Deadlift:
3x150kg 3x170kg 1x200kg

- Deadlift with suit:
1x210 1x210kg 1x230

- Skullcrushers:
3x10 with 16kg

Commenter: My technique with deadliftsuit was much better today than last time, but I still have some work to do before it’s “perfect”. The weights lifted today was easy and not nearly 1rm, but it felt okay and I think this suit might be the one for me…

21 january 2009

- Squat with stop at the bottom:
5x3 with 150kg

- Deadlift:
6x3 with 180kg

- Facepulls:
3x10

Comment: I was supposed to do 5x4 instead of 6x3 in the deadlift, but no harm done I suppose… An okay workouk…

26 january 2009

- Squat:
6x3 with 160kg

- Speed-bench:
10x3 with 80kg and 20sec. pause

- Lattrowing:
3x12 with 80kg

- Skullcrushers:
3x10 with 15kg

Comment: Since I’m not fully recovered since the trainingsession on saturday, I deceided to do speed-bench istead of heavy doubles in the bench press.

[quote]KimG wrote:
24 january 2009

- Bench press:
2x120kg 1x130kg

- Bench press with shirt:
3x160kg (boardpress)
2x160kg
1x170kg
1x170kg

- Squat:
15x150kg

- Deadlift from 5cm board:
5x3 with 170kg

Comment: My technique in the bench press wasn’t very good, but it felt easy. The deadlift, howeever, was heavy, but the squat felt great! I guess I could have done 20 reps with 150kg at approx. 78kg bodyweight today.

[/quote]

This is awesome squatting. You still looked explosive at rep 15. Definitely could have cranked out at least 20. You’re a strong little dude.