T Nation

26 YO with Low T!

I posted a few months back but was unable to supply additional lab work requested. This time I will as I will be getting a bunch of lab tests done on Tuesday. Three Months ago my Total Testoserone was 424 n/g and my free was 62 p/g which is 6.2 n/g. Both are quite low for a 26 year old.. especially my free testoserone. I almost always have very low energy and ZERO libido for quite a while now which is very frustrating. Fully functional but no desire.

I will be getting my thyroid tested on Tuesday but the doctor only ordered TSH and not T3 and T4 even though I requested it. My insurance is Kaiser so they are very conservative and money pinchers. Will TSH alone tell me anything? They will also be testing for Diabetes and I think I may be Pre Diabetic which I've read will cause your testoserone to be low.. He also refused to check my adrenal/pituitary glands.. is there a way I can check these myself?

If everything comes back normal.. should a 26 year old start TRT? I wouldn't mind dishing out the $200 a month most clinics charge if it's gonna cure my energy/libodo problems along with not being able to put on muscle no matter how much I train. I was also suggested to do HCG Monotherapy to get a HTCP restart before I go full in on TRT. If I did start a TRT protocol, can I ever come off? Can I ever have kids? I don't plan to have kids for another 4-5 years but at the same time I'm tired of feeling this way.

The reason I say a clinic is because I figure my testoserone will come back somewhere between 350-450 and my insurance are not gonna do a thing unless it's under 250 and even then they will probably fight me tooth and nail over it.

Thanks for any help guys, would love to hear any advice or feedback. I'm desperate lol.

From the last time:
Your low-T is a symptom, not the disease. You now need to track down the cause.

Labs: [you could skip TT, FT but those might be in a panel that is priced right]
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH <<<<<<<<<<< very important
prolactin
CBC
fasting cholesterol - might be too low [<160, 180 is ideal]
fasting glucose
TST
fT3
fT4 [please not T3, T4]

Read these stickies:

• advice for new guys
    – provide more info as suggested
  • things that damage your hormones

Do you get cold easily?
Do you use iodized salt? [time line]

We do see a lot of guys at your age with low or lower T levels.

You need ample health fats in your diet and cholesterol.

Low energy always or since 21?

I will have an updated TT for you (he refused to order free), TSH (he didn’t wanna order T3/T4), CBC, Fasting Cholesterol, and Fasting Glucose for you by the end of the week…

I can do the other labs out of pocket but don’t want to pay to much… which ones would be of the highest importance? E2 and LH/FSH?

I’m thinking about using this site and doing the female hormone panel: http://www.walkinlab.com/discount-panels/hormone1baselinebloodtestpanel-women.html

Seems to have everything I need that’s not already being done. Is this a good site to use?

To answer your previous questions, I’ve been feeling this way since at least 20. Also with the ample fats thing, I have notice whenever I eat something high in saturated fat (has to be really high) such as fast food, I notice my libido actually does go way up. This is the only time it ever goes up. And it’s hit or miss. Eating that much saturated fat makes me feel sluggish and stomach uncomfortable though. I do get enough fat in my diet although saturated fat I’m not sure. Overall I eat pretty well and usually my macros are 40% Protein 35% Carbs 25% Fat. I’m 5’7" 145lbs 10% bodyfat and exercise regularly even with my low energy levels.

I will have results back for TSH, Fasting Cholesterol, Fasting Glucose, CBC, and Updated TT probably on Friday. I will try to get fT3 and fT4 added but no guarantee.

Thank you for the help so far.

Why do you ignore this?
""“
Do you get cold easily?
Do you use iodized salt? [time line]
”""

Check your oral body temperatures:

• when you first wake up, should be 97.7-97.8, higher is good, 97.3 is a problem
  • can you hit 98.6 during the day?

Body temperatures are in some regards better than lab work.

lef.org | products | blood testing

I don’t even know what iodized salt is… so I’m not sure how to answer that. I know I get enough regular salt but don’t use excessive amounts or anything.

I don’t get cold easily, opposite actually… I tend to get hot very easily. Although my hands and feet sometimes will feel very cold while the rest of my body feela normal. My last two temperature readings at the doctor were 95. I think my body warms up throughout the day though. My doctor said 95 is normal? I’ll try to buy a thermonitor and do some temperature tests. Will any thermonitor do the trick?

[quote]Zar57 wrote:
I don’t even know what iodized salt is… so I’m not sure how to answer that. I know I get enough regular salt but don’t use excessive amounts or anything.

I don’t get cold easily, opposite actually… I tend to get hot very easily. Although my hands and feet sometimes will feel very cold while the rest of my body feela normal. My last two temperature readings at the doctor were 95. I think my body warms up throughout the day though. My doctor said 95 is normal? I’ll try to buy a thermonitor and do some temperature tests. Will any thermonitor do the trick? [/quote]

With all the respect in the world, you need to start doing a lot of reading on everything hormone/endocrinology related. I suppose what I’m saying is that if someone like KSman asks if you use iodized salt and you don’t know what that is, research what it is and why it’s important. I’ve learned thus far that as men with low T, you’re going to be your best bet to heal yourself and improve your quality of life through knowledge.

I did research it and see it supports thyroid function. I can’t recall if I’ve ever bought iodized salt, don’t think I have. I usually don’t put salt or pepper on anything… but do meet sodium intake requirements. Although I believe that is just regular salt? I did look up a list of foods containing iodine and I do consume one sweet potato a day (40% of suggested intake) and 2-3 whole eggs a day (8% each of suggested intake). So I don’t think I’m deficient in iodine.

I will start taking my temperature daily starting tomorrow in AM and PM and give you about 5 days worth of results. I am starting to think my thyroid function might be causing my Low T if my body temperature does indeed run at a daily 95-96 degrees. Although I did do a full thyroid panel about six months ago and my doctor said “everything is in range”. I’ll to grab a copy of the results if they still have them and post them up.

KSMan, the ite you suggested does not have FSH/LH in the Male Comprehensive Hormone panel as far as I can tell. The female hormone panel on walkinlabs.com has Estradiol, Progesterone, Cortisol, Follicle-stiumulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH), Testosterone Total & Free, Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate (DHEA,s). And a lot cheaper too. Let me know what option would be better suited. Thanks!

Female hormone panel may not be able to resolve the lower E2 levels that males have.

People have always eaten such foods and the populations have been iodine deficient with bad consequences. That is why iodized salt was introduced almost 100 years ago.

Look at the package your salt came in. If not iodized, throw it out.
Sea salt does not contain iodine.

The thyroid hormones T3 and T4 contain 3 and 4 atoms of iodine. Its not support, its mission critical.

Thyroid lab ranges are too wide and doctors don’t understand the consequences.
TSH should be nearer to 1.0, range is 0.5 - 5.5
T3, T4, fT3, fT4 should be near or a bit above mid-range.
The lab ranges include a lot of people with thyroid related health problems.

The Male Panel on that site pretty much includes all the stuff I listed and half the price as lef.

I don’t have any salt in my house, I don’t use salt or pepper. Although like I said, I think it’s possible I’m getting enough iodine through food?

I also read brazil nuts can help thyroid function because they have selenium? Might try some after temp/lab tests are all over.

I’m going in for lab work soon, I’ll try to grab a copy of my thyroid results from six months ago.

Hey KSMan, here is my lab work that I just got done. I’ll try to do a male hormone panel and will also have fT3 and fT3 for you soon.

White Blood Cell Diff

Neutrophils %, automated count 41 - 79 % 58
Lymphocytes %, automated count 13 - 44 % 33
Monos %, auto 5 - 14 % 7
Eosinophils %, automated count 0 - 6 % 2
Basophils %, automated count 0 - 2 % 1
Neutrophils auto count 2.1 - 7.4 K/uL 3.0

Hemoglobin A1C

ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE 85 - 126 mg/dL 94
Hgb A1c % 4.6 - 6.0 % 4.9

Thyroid
TSH 0.10 - 5.50 uIU/mL 1.20

Fasting Lipid Panel

Cholesterol <=239 mg/dL 150
Triglyceride <=499 mg/dL 36
HDL >=40 mg/dL 51
Low density lipoprotein calculated <=159 mg/dL 92

ALT 0 - 36 U/L 28

Creatinine <=1.34 mg/dL 1.21
Glomerular filtration rate, nonAfrican American >=60 mL/min >60
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE - AFRICAN AMERICAN >=60 mL/min >60

Complete Blood Count

WBC COUNT 3.5 - 12.5 K/uL 5.2
Red blood cells count 4.10 - 5.70 M/uL 4.79
Hgb 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL 15.5
Hematocrit 39.0 - 51.0 % 44.1
MCV 80 - 100 fL 92
RDW, RBC 12.0 - 16.5 % 12.1
Platelets count 140 - 400 K/uL 267

Updated Testosterone Total

He didn’t test free… but my free last time was below range at 6.2. My total test is about 70 points higher than a few months ago but still really low for someone my age along with Low Free Test. Still fatigued with no sex drive. Something no 26 year old should have to say…

Any help is appreciated. I’ll get you fT3 and fT4 in the next week or so. Will also try to get you a full Male Hormone Panel but going to have to pay out of pocket for that so give me a bit of time.

Sorry but forgot to add temps with lab results. I’ve only done about a day and a half so far.

Tuesday Night Temp:

Wednesday Morning:

Wednesday Afternoon:

Wednesday Night:

Please consider that your low body temperatures could be iodine related.

How do you recommend fixing that?

Look at the package your salt came in. If not iodized, throw it out. Purchase salt that states iodized. Packaging is similar.
Sea salt does not contain iodine.

Get a 500mcg [1/2 mg] iodine supplement.

Use a multi-vit that lists iodine AND selenium

Your iodine intake is suspect. Your TSH looks quite good, but body temperatures say something is wrong. You can see if more iodine improves things. Did you read the thyroid basics sticky?