T Nation

26 Y/O Test Level 354

Hey guys… I’m 26 and my test level is at 354, been this way for a long time in this range. I lift all the time and eat a healthy diet. I’ve done tests for literally everything and everything comes back in range and perfectly normal every time. I was trying to wait until my 30s to do TRT but I really don’t think I can wait anymore. Is there any reason I should wait any longer? Should I try just HCG alone first? Is there ever coming off of it if I can’t afford it anymore? Have a lot of questions and uncertainties before I make the leap. Thanks.

Read the stickies, post your labs with ranges. You need to determine if you are primary or secondary.

At your age you should consider a SERM if you are secondary.

I no longer have access to my lab results but everything came back well within range including thyroid and all of that. My free testosterone was 5.2 which is really low. I’ll see if I can get an updated hormone panel done. How would you suggest starting a SERM? Thank you.

Need the labs with ranges. No point in taking without that.

We do not do “withing range”, we do better than that.

Start reading found here:About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones

Just got results back today, here you go:

Testosterone, Serum 376 ng/dL 348-1197
Free Testosterone(Direct) 7.3 Flag Low pg/mL 9.3-26.5 BN
LH 2.3 mIU/mL 1.7-8.6
FSH 2.0 mIU/mL 1.5-12.4
DHEA-Sulfate 196.0 ug/dL 138.5-475.2
Estradiol 7.3 Flag Low pg/mL 7.6-42.6
TSH 1.20 uIU/mL 0.10 - 5.50

Complete Blood Count

WBC COUNT 3.5 - 12.5 K/uL 5.2
Red blood cells count 4.10 - 5.70 M/uL 4.79
Hgb 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL 15.5
Hematocrit 39.0 - 51.0 % 44.1
MCV 80 - 100 fL 92
RDW, RBC 12.0 - 16.5 % 12.1
Platelets count 140 - 400 K/uL 267

Fasting Lipid Panel

Cholesterol <=239 mg/dL 150
Triglyceride <=499 mg/dL 36
HDL >=40 mg/dL 51
Low density lipoprotein calculated <=159 mg/dL 92

Hemoglobin A1C

ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE 85 - 126 mg/dL 94
Hgb A1c % 4.6 - 6.0 % 4.9

Didn’t get T3/T4/fT3 done but I can find the results from six months ago or so where it was completely in range.

You are secondary hypogonadism.

TSH looks pretty good, so good thyoid function likely.

Read the HTPA restart sticky. You are young enough, it may work for you.

Thanks for the reply. Can you go into any more detail? Do you know what might be causing the hypogonadism or it’s just a case of that in general? Any other test recommendations? Insulin maybe?

If the HTPA restart doesn’t work, should I go on full blown TRT at just 26? Also where can I locate a doctor for an HTPA restart?

I apologize for all the questions. I’ll go read that thread over.

If hpta restart doesn’t work, most likely to not, TRT is the only option! Need prolactin labs to rule out pituitary adenoma.

Should I go order a prolactin test? Thanks.

Yes, we need to find the cause for low T. High prolactin can reduce LH/FSH and reduce T levels.

Got my prolactin results back

Prolactin 9.6 ng/mL 4.0-15.2

Seems pretty normal. Any other reason why my LH and FSH/Test might be low?

Did you?
Start reading found here:About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones <-- this may uncover a reason for your secondary

Also read:

• finding a TRT doc
  • HPTA restart
  • protocol for injections

Blood sugars are fine and fasting insulin lab not needed.

Hematocrit 39.0 is rather low, even as expected with low T.
Do you have any digestive problems or food sensitivities?

DHEA-S is very low for your age. Pregnenolone might be low. Total cholesterol 150 is below optimal. Maybe you can improve that with diet changes.

Hemocrit is actually 44. Just posted the ranges first, sorry for the confusion.

Definitely have had some stomach issues for a while, hands swell up after certain foods. Had to cut out gluten, dairy, soy, anything fermented, chocolate, and more. Tested negative for pretty much every autoimmune condition and allergies, doctor was baffled and pretty much just said stay away from trigger foods. Digestion issues as well and have had to take probiotics. However, I’ve had Low T long before these stomach issues which I’ve had for about 1-1/2 years.

I’ve had Sub 400 every year since 21 except for 2 years ago I had 475. Only difference is I cut carbs to about 30g a day and was less of a body fat % at about 8%. Now I’m at about 12%. Put on 10-12lbs by choice because I looked way to skinny at 5’7" 130lbs. I lift a few times a week and do cardio, so even at 12% my T should be well above 400 for someone my age…

Not sure if any of that is related but I’m starting to grasp at straws. Thanks for the reply KSMan.

Over training and low BF are risks.

Have you had an occult blood test to see if there is any GI bleeding going on? With your hematocrit, there is nothing in your labs to suggest that.

Have you studied those stickies?

Haven’t done that test and have read most of the stickies.

Definitely I wouldn’t say I’ve ever over trained. Even before I started training, T was low. Been very difficult to put on muscle.

As for BF, my T was actually the highest the one year it was at 8%. Other than that one year, always been about 12-14% range. Even at 12-14%, sub 400 is really low for my age.

I might consult with a TRT and go over options and maybe a HPTA restart. Actual test is my last option.

So I took another testosterone test and quite surprised…

November 2015: 424ng, Free T 7pg (Fasted 16 Hours)

February 2016: 354ng, Free T 7pg (Fasted 16 Hours)

May 2016: 374ng, Free T 7pg (Fasted 16 Hours)

July 2016: 680ng, Free T 13pg (Fasted 24 Hours)

Is this because I fasted for 24 hours? I literally changed nothing. I still feel low energy, very low libido, and overall Low T symptoms.

Are you testing E2 at all?

I did get E2 but the wrong kind. Need to do E2 sensitive.

Is it possible I have something called Adrenal Fatigue? I have developed an intolerence to anything high in histamine. Hands turn completely red and burn like crazy, pressure in head, eyes watery and swollen after: Fermented Drinks or Food (Beer, Probiotic Drinks, Yogurt), Aged Cheese, Regular cheese to a lesser extent, Anything Soy, Chocolate, Artificial Flavorings, Food Colorings especially Red #40. I’ve read histamine intolerance could be a symptom of Adrenal Fatigue as your Adrenal Glands are what are suppose to suppress histamine.

Should I get my cortisol tested?