T Nation

250-315 Bench Goals

I am 5’8 165lbs and I have been lifting for a while, but only really seriously for about 6months.

My current 1RM for bench is 250.

I know this isn’t a simple question, but how long should it take me to get to 315? Basically I am looking for some to tell me what a good amount of time would be to complete this goal.

I am starting to set goals for myself and I want them to be based on time.

Other Stats:
I have had knee injuries in the past so I squat light/more reps, and do RDLs instead of regular deadlifts…my knee has been getting better so I am hoping to up the leg lifts soon.

Squat: best 8 @ 205
RDL: best 3 x 305
Dips: 10 @ 200lbs (w/ 35 plate)
Pull-Ups: 10 @ 190lbs (w/ 25 plate)

Thanks.

1-3 months ~

First do yourself a favor bro and change your screen name, you wont survive here as bigdude at 165.

You will gain more initially. If you improve 5 lbs a week, it would take you 13 weeks so there you go, something to aim for. It is a good size jump but I have seen it done.

If you cant find a good bench program on this site, PM me and I will send you one. Be for real though, do your homework and train hard and I will help you along.

A

[quote]bigdude wrote:
I am 5’8 165lbs and I have been lifting for a while, but only really seriously for about 6months.

My current 1RM for bench is 250.

I know this isn’t a simple question, but how long should it take me to get to 315? Basically I am looking for some to tell me what a good amount of time would be to complete this goal.

I am starting to set goals for myself and I want them to be based on time.

Other Stats:
I have had knee injuries in the past so I squat light/more reps, and do RDLs instead of regular deadlifts…my knee has been getting better so I am hoping to up the leg lifts soon.

Squat: best 8 @ 205
RDL: best 3 x 305
Dips: 10 @ 200lbs (w/ 35 plate)
Pull-Ups: 10 @ 190lbs (w/ 25 plate)

Thanks.[/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
First do yourself a favor bro and change your screen name, you wont survive here as bigdude at 165.

You will gain more initially. If you improve 5 lbs a week, it would take you 13 weeks so there you go, something to aim for. It is a good size jump but I have seen it done.

If you cant find a good bench program on this site, PM me and I will send you one. Be for real though, do your homework and train hard and I will help you along.
[/quote]

Don’t forget to emphasize that he won’t progress much if he plans on staying near the same body weight. Most of these people screw themselves up because they simply don’t eat enough.

Check out Joel Marion’s bench program in the archives. I used it and blasted through a plateau.

Fair warning: it is tough, and you may notice elbow and wrist pain at some point during it.

But still, as someone who did it, I say give it a go. You will get stronger.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Don’t forget to emphasize that he won’t progress much if he plans on staying near the same body weight. Most of these people screw themselves up because they simply don’t eat enough.[/quote]

I am trying to eat as much as possible. I am gaining weight…not very fast, but i am gaining.

Since you dindt list what type of training your doing I’m going to assume 10 reps of 3 sets. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

this site can give you a rough estimate with what you can do for 10 to see what your 1rm will be. Also you didn’t list a diet, which could affect how long it would take to make the increase.

Very true. I send him a program so he has no excuses now.

Dude - (sorry can’t do it…) let us know how you make out.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
First do yourself a favor bro and change your screen name, you wont survive here as bigdude at 165.

You will gain more initially. If you improve 5 lbs a week, it would take you 13 weeks so there you go, something to aim for. It is a good size jump but I have seen it done.

If you cant find a good bench program on this site, PM me and I will send you one. Be for real though, do your homework and train hard and I will help you along.

Don’t forget to emphasize that he won’t progress much if he plans on staying near the same body weight. Most of these people screw themselves up because they simply don’t eat enough.[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
First do yourself a favor bro and change your screen name, you wont survive here as bigdude at 165.

You will gain more initially. If you improve 5 lbs a week, it would take you 13 weeks so there you go, something to aim for. It is a good size jump but I have seen it done.

If you cant find a good bench program on this site, PM me and I will send you one. Be for real though, do your homework and train hard and I will help you along.

Don’t forget to emphasize that he won’t progress much if he plans on staying near the same body weight. Most of these people screw themselves up because they simply don’t eat enough.[/quote]

Prof i know what your saying, however your not exactly right. Judging a mans strength by his size is like judging a books quality by how many pages it has. It is possible to get very strong without gaining massive amounts of mass. Go over to the westside site for examples of light guys lifting serious weight.

What this guy needs to do is focus on a template designed for strength(eg westside) and then train really hard. Bodyweight will help the squat and bench but is not essential in order to get strong. The deadlift is another matter. Adding massive amounts of bodyweight can hinder the dead(according to Louie Simmons)

I would def. try adding weight to your frame, I added about 30lbs of body weight to my frame and my bench went from 245 to 315 in a few months, during this I follwed a westsdie based templete aswell.

Nothign feels better than a bulk diet and strength program, you will notice increased performance almost every workout. Let me know if you want more details on how I did it or what I would have changed.

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:
First do yourself a favor bro and change your screen name, you wont survive here as bigdude at 165.

You will gain more initially. If you improve 5 lbs a week, it would take you 13 weeks so there you go, something to aim for. It is a good size jump but I have seen it done.

If you cant find a good bench program on this site, PM me and I will send you one. Be for real though, do your homework and train hard and I will help you along.

Don’t forget to emphasize that he won’t progress much if he plans on staying near the same body weight. Most of these people screw themselves up because they simply don’t eat enough.

Prof i know what your saying, however your not exactly right. Judging a mans strength by his size is like judging a books quality by how many pages it has. It is possible to get very strong without gaining massive amounts of mass. Go over to the westside site for examples of light guys lifting serious weight.

What this guy needs to do is focus on a template designed for strength(eg westside) and then train really hard. Bodyweight will help the squat and bench but is not essential in order to get strong. The deadlift is another matter. Adding massive amounts of bodyweight can hinder the dead(according to Louie Simmons)

[/quote]Mr. Simmons’ remarks about body weight hindering the deadlift is in regards to guys with GUTS SO BIG THAT IT INTERFERES WITH THE BAR.

There are 275 lb guys who don’t have gut sizes big enough to do that.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Mr. Simmons’ remarks about body weight hindering the deadlift is in regards to guys with GUTS SO BIG THAT IT INTERFERES WITH THE BAR.

There are 275 lb guys who don’t have gut sizes big enough to do that.

[/quote]
Yeah…I dont think I will be getting that big anytime soon…

My goal right now is a lean 175lbs. Do you guys think this is still pretty small for 5’8?

I would like to eventually be able to bench twice my weight or more. 315 is more of a short term goal.

Steroids and shht 2 - 3 months
Strict diet and training(just for this lift) 4-5 months
Average program, healthy diet reasonable(primary lift) - 6+ months

But Y?
For power purposes? or to set a length of time that you will work on a particular bench program to build pecs?(bodybuilding)
If its that latter you might want to worry about a good 5-10 rep max.