25 Year Old - Should I Jump Fully Into TRT or Try Thyroid First?

Well you need and should fix thyroid before going on trt anyway. Need fine working thyroid for TRT to work correctly. Esp in your case since fixing your thyroid resolved your symptoms.
You should start a new thread. I think you are on someone else’s thread.

How bad was your thyroid in 2015? What was your tsh?

My thyroid was fist detected in 2014 with TSH of 10. I was give 50 mcg levothyroxine, later in December one more blood work was done and my dosage was increased to 75 mcg. 2 weeks after my dosage was increased, i started having ED symptoms and it took some time for me to realize that my ED is related to thyroid.

Later in April 2015, lab works done and my TSH was showing up as 0.03 rage(0.45-4.5) and my dosage was reduced to 50 mcg. Within a week on fixing my dosage, my ED got cured and i was feeling better than ever.

Damn, you really went from one end of the range to the other making you hyperthyroid. You seem to respond to thyroid treatment well.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

I am hyper again now and have severe ED problem. Its taking lot of toll personally. I am not sure if it will be fixed again this time by bringing back my thyroid to normal. Please let me know if anyone else has testosterone to normal my bringing back thyroid to normal.

Update - It looks like I will in fact need TRT. Levels came back … The thyroid med has increased my SHBG even higher & total T was right where it was before clomid.

FREE T3 2.46 complete PG/ML 2.30-4.20
TSH 0.055 complete uIU/ml 0.370-4.000
PROLACTIN 4.71 complete ng/ml 2.80-29.20
FSH 2.39 complete mIU/ml 1.50-33.40
LH 3.62 complete mIU/ml 0.50-76.30
Free Testosterone 28.8 complete PG/ML 48.2-169.6
Bioavailable Testos 79.5 complete NG/DL 113.1-397.7
Sex Hormone Bind Glob 99.9 complete NMOL/L 17.3-65.8
Albumin 5.1 complete G/DL 3.5-5.0
Testosterone Total 341 complete NG/DL 270-1070

fT3 isn’t even midrange and already SHBG is climbing, what are your body temperatures?

97.1-97.8 usually. I live in cold weather. I do take 120 mg all @ once in the AM. My metabolic rate has definitely increased.

Your body temps have nothing to do with cold weather, your body should be able to maintain 98.6 all the time short of falling through the ice.

You are not there yet.

True - not there yet. But it’s obvious from my labs that even fixing my thyroid some has not fixed my low T - hence the need for TRT.

I might start splitting my thyroid dose into morning & afternoon.

fT3=2.46, should be mid-range is low and your low body temperatures are the result.

You need time release T3 as a medication, in USA this is a compounding pharmacy only product.

T4–>T3 is poor in some people in the peripheral tissues, your thyroid appears to be shut down with very low TSH=0.55 by your thyroid meds.

rT3 can interfere with what fT3 you have. There is no receptor for T4. rT3 can be increased by stress and starvation diets is that stress. See the thyroid sticky for references to rT3, stress, adrenal fatigue and Wilson’s book.

You need to get thyroid somewhat under control before TRT. If not, that is another stress factor.

When dealing with adrenal fatigue we need to look at other adrenal hormones. The big one is ‘AM Cortisol’ done at 8AM or 1 hour after waking and DHEA-S. But at your age DHEA at a life time peak will probably not be low. But see above that you are low, so that dose imply adrenal involvement.

DHEA–>E2 in the adrenals is not a major issue in most men. And if your adrenals are weak, that process might also be impaired. Note that most young men have very high DHEA-S levels, so taking DHEA to get normal levels will not cause problems except in a few individuals.

I do take a DHEA supplement (40mg). It has helped IMMENSELY with my sleep. My levels were 191 (Ref 164-530) when checked in December.

I am taking 120mg Armour (T4 + T3) 1st thing upon waking. I am getting RT3 tested soon as well as DHEA.

What i’m saying is regardless - I’m going to need TRT. Thyroid has only brought up SHBG which has driven down Free T. I wanted to see improving my thyroid would help my test - but it hasn’t & my Free T is in fact lower as result of higher SHBG.

FWIW - my body temps before starting were in the low 95s. Progress not perfection. I think having a healthy test level will help with everything as well.

More T and E2=22pg/ml will be helpful.

SHBG is made in the liver to scavenge sex hormones. Liver problems can sometimes be a cause of high SHBG. Sometimes no reason can be found.

You will need to dose T, perhaps with larger doses, to get high FT or Bio-T levels and your SHBG+T will increase and inflate TT. You and your doctor need to realize this and expect and welcome some possible very high TT numbers. If SHBG is driven down, TT should decrease and if less T goes into SHBG+T, FT should then increase and perhaps a high dose of T may be adjusted down.

That’s EXACTLY what he said! That I can have very high TT numbers because I am like a hyper-metabolizer or something (I don’t remember exactly).

The protocol he gave me 2 months ago was 80 mg t-cyp E 3.5 days w/ 500IU HCG with T shots. I chose not to do it right away & go with a conservative approach of DHEA + Thyroid just to make sure I 100% need TRT. Given I am 25 - I wanted to be 100% certain of this & now I know without doubt I need TRT. I was hopeful that DHEA + thyroid might help - and it has helped some - but my numbers are worse with it than before (albeit VERY slightly). Clomid gave me eye issues + SHBG rose with it - so TRT is for me.