25 Year Old - Should I Jump Fully Into TRT or Try Thyroid First?

dreambig11 have you been on low carb, keto or carnivore diet ?

never - when I diet its either high carb (relative) or moderate approach. I tried keto for 4-6 weeks (in college 7 years ago) & hated it - killed my sex drive, energy & just made me think about what I couldn’t eat. I also have IBS & can’t eat a lot of the higher fiber keto veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Plus i don’t think its healthy to eliminate entire food groups from diets.

Alot of this stuff is trying out different things to see what works. I think it makes sense to fix thyroid first. Wait 4-6 weeks and reevaluate. Run labs then so you have a base after starting thyroid treatment if you decide to go on trt.

Probably what im going to do! Can I still use iodine w/ the dessicated thyroid?

Taking iodine in the short term tsh can increase. So if you are trying to see how the thyroid medication is helping it will be confusing. If you are doing the iodine replacement cycle as ksman instructs I would do that first. If u r just doing iodine small supplement maybe do that together. That’s my opinion from reading.

Got it - yeah I did iodine replacement 2 years ago & it didn’t help. Sticking with thyroid meds.

DHEA before bed has definitely made a NOTICEABLE difference in my sleep for the better! Could be placebo but really sound sleep past 2 days! Took my last dose of clomid (12.5mg) yesterday! Well see labs in 4-6 weeks & make a decision then!

Update - feeling pretty good soo far! Most likely upping to 2 armour pills (1 grain) in the next few days. Sex drive + morning erections pretty good! No worse & maybe a little better since discontinuing clomid (im sure its still in my system a bit tho)

How’s your trigger point battle going? Your story is oddly similar to mine. I have horrendous left medial shoulder blade pain following an accident. I also have high SHBG and low T and am dealing with the nasty trigger points.

Pretty solid. Still nowhere near where I was before strength/body composition wise. But the thyroid medication I think is helping a lot with the trigger points! I still have them. I am also getting chiropractic + dry needling on them which is starting to pay off.

Interested to see my T levels in a few weeks w/o clomid or anything (beside DHEA + thyroid)

SHBG typically goes up after thyroid treatment, therefore TT goes up with SHBG, so don’t think your T went up do to thyroid meds. T is still the same.

Agreed. But DHEA + stinging nettle could bring it down - I also stopped clomid so that might bring it down some. We’ll see in a few weeks! I feel pretty good sex drive/erection wise. If T is still low i’ll start TRT - but then ill know for sure i’ve exhausted EVERY OPTION!

DHEA is a man increases E2, increases in E2 raises SHBG. Whatever happens to your SHBG, you T is still low. Raising SHBG lowers FT therefore increasing TT, T production doesn’t change. SHBG is made in the liver, T is made in testicles, change SHBG doesn’t change T production in testicles.

TRT is unavoidable.

Keep us posted am curious if thyroid treatment helped your t

You are probably right, but I just wanted to vet everything before jumping full bore into TRT @ 25 years old. I will rest easy & have no doubt in my decision if my bloods still come back low in a few weeks. I do feel pretty good tho.

This may be informative. Apparently there are studies that treating the thyroid in some individuals double T. http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Thyroid.aspx

Yeah that study is iffy if you look @ it. That guy was obese & had obsurdly high TSH. Im not obese & my TSH was basically normal (persistent low ft3 for me). Im hopeful but skeptical but we shall see soon!

I am 33 now and i had ED problems and thyroid problems in 2015, i did not check testosterone levels at that time. Once my thyroid dosage was adjusted from 75 mcg to 50 mcg, my ED problems got fixed. My sex drive, Erection duration and sperm production was also at peak.

But later over the next six months ED started coming back and my thyroid levels went up which is not stabilized till now. Now i have ED, Low T and no sex drive, not sure if this will be fixed without going on to TRT.

So you went DOWN in thyroid dose & fixed ED?

I’m 40 and have higher total T levels then that based on a saliva based test kit which was probably inaccurate and is probably higher… and i’m experienced negative stuff