T Nation

25 Year Old, a Lifetime of Low Test

Hi,

So after storing excess fat on my chest and thighs for as long as I can remember, I got my blood tested. I’m currently booked in to see an endo in a few weeks but would really like some advice before I see him! my referring doc said that this endo isn’t the best, but unfortunatley he was the only endo in my town who is seeing new patients.

Hormone results as follows:

Prolactin 137 (<390)
Progesterone 1.7 (<1.0)
Oestradiol 42 (<190)
Testosterone 7.3 (8.0 - 38.0)
SHBG 29 (15-100)
Calc Free Testosterone 150 (250-720)
FAI 25.2 (14.0 - 65.0)
DHEA-S 9.4 (1.7 - 14.0)

I also got a whole bunch of other blood work done. From the stickies, I figured that the following info is relevant:

TSH 1.4 (0.5 - 4.4)
Cholestorol 3.4 (3.5 - 3.8)
HDL 1.1 (>0.8)
LDL 2.5 (<3.5)
Triglycerids 0.38 (0.50 - 2.0)
Iron 27.3 (9.0 - 27.0)
Ferritin 83 ( 30 - 300)
Iodine 32 (>100)

There was a whole bunch of other tests as well but (a) I don’t think they’re relevant to this post and (b) they were all in the normal range.

Other info:

25 years old
1.93 m
93 cm
95kg

Not much body hair at all; facial hair on chin and moustache and on neck (needs a shave every day or two). very little facial hair anywhere else.

I carry fat on chest (moobs) and a lot in my thighs - this has not changed from as far back as I can remember. fat seems to be deposited fairly evenly over the rest of the body.

overall health has been good, but I seem to have a very poor immune system in that I catch colds/blocked noses etc very easily.

Am not currenlty taking any Rx or OTC drugs, have not taken any in the past for an extended period of time. never had hair loss or prostate drugs.

Diet is very good - meat, vegetables, some fruit and fish oil supps. I cut bread out of my diet a few months ago (I discovered I was gluten intolerant), and I think this explains my low iodione levels - bread still has iodine added here in Australia, and despite my blood work showing a moderate iodine deficiency my doc palpated my thyroid and said there was no sign of goiter. I hypothesised that my iodine intake had only been low for a few months.

After analysing my diet I realised there weren’t any good sources of iodine in there, so I started added iodised salt to my meals three times a day, eating yoghurt at breakfast, and taking 752 mg potassium iodide per day (the bottle says that this contians 576mg iodine, 176 mg potasssium). Its been a month of more iodine now, and I have noticed an improvement in ability to concentrate. but not much of a difference apart from that.

Current training is 4-5 days a week, combination of weight training and cardio. I wouldn’t consider it excessive, a session lasts approx 40 minutes.

One of testes aches after a lot of “activity”, but i got this checked and the scan found a varicose vein on the teste. tricky to operate on, so its there to stay for the moment.

morning wood has always seemed a bit pathetic, i’ll never wake up with one but sometimes a very poor boner will appear after lying in bed for a few minutes. but, i never have any trouble getting it up with my girlfriend.

morning temp is between 96.1 and 96.4 for the several mornings i tested it. i’ve always felt the cold a lot, and in particular my girlfriend says that my hands are very cold.

I’ve always taken a very long time to recover from injuries - suspected a lack of HGH but have not had this tested.

I should point out that nothing has changed with my body to prompt these tests. I just finally decided to do something about my symptoms.

Any advice is most welcome. I’m new to this stuff, but have read all the stickies many times and have a bit of an understanding based off that.

I think that you are talking micro grams [mcg] and writing milli grams [mg]

Those are scary low body temps. Verify the thermometer by having someone else hit 98.6 with it.

Are others sharing your iodine deficiency?

Please post your progress with your iodine replenishment.

Assuming that you have read some of the stickies…

Liver markers? ALT, AST

Is the iodine test serum, urine?

[quote]KSman wrote:
I think that you are talking micro grams [mcg] and writing milli grams [mg]

Those are scary low body temps. Verify the thermometer by having someone else hit 98.6 with it.

Are others sharing your iodine deficiency?

Please post your progress with your iodine replenishment.

Assuming that you have read some of the stickies…

Liver markers? ALT, AST

Is the iodine test serum, urine? [/quote]

Hi KSman, thanks a bunch for getting back to me so quickly. in reponse to your questions:

yep, I should have written mcg, NOT mg. sorry, my bad.

I’m not aware of anyone sharing my iodine deficiency. do you mean people I live with, family etc?

I’m hoping to get another referral for an iodine test when I see the endo in 2 weeks.

Liver markers:
ALT 32 (5 - 40)
AST 25 (10 - 40)

Iodine test was urine.

I’ll get someone to verfiry the temps on the thermometer.

Thanks for all your help (both to me and to others on this forum).

If family members have low body temps, it would seem to be a household iodine deficiency.

I nit pick on mg, mcg etc because others are reading this who may get confused or mus-informed.

Hi KSman,

Any idea what the underlying problem could be? I really don’t think that the low iodine is causing the problem: I’ve been experiencing the symptoms of low T for as long as I can remember, but only recently (inadvertently) cut out iodine-rich foods from my diet.

But, I’ll get iodine tested again to see whether the level is back up to normal. Once the iodine is back in the normal range, how long should it take before I start to feel the benefits?