T Nation

25 lbs? Is it Possible?

Me right now:
5 ft 10 stopped growing.
176 lbs, 10-12% is fat. (I was bigger, but unfortunately a trip to France did some damage, I was around 186 lbs before)
Been training around 3 years

Where I want to be, come December 2011:
200 lbs at around the same fat percentage.

First off, I want to know if the goal of gaining 25 lb is a bit farfetched. What type of training would you recommend (split, type, volume etc) to gain weight ASAP? I am not looking so much for aesthetics, just big.
The second thing is I live at a school (boarding school) while I am training, so the diet sucks. 3 meals a day, you can eat as much as you want, but you never know what you are gonna get (rice and chicken one day to pies and fries the other). I have time to take meals between meals, but it is a REAL hassle to buy food and cook it since I need to fill out forms for taxis etc... I can hit the shops once every 4 weeks.
I use most supplements, mass gainers, whey, creatine etcetera.

Could you please give me some pointers as to what to buy, when to eat it all that. Just a diet run down.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

just gaining 25lbs in a year really isn't that much. It comes out to just a little more than 2lbs a month. I gained a lb a week for about 5 months and put on 20lbs.

Eat enough so that you're gaining a lb, or how ever much you're looking to gain, per week. If you don't see the scale going up then eat more.
You said you're not looking for aesthetics so no need to super clean bulk or anything, just eat enough calories. For me tracking them on a site like livestrong.com really helped.

Yeah, but counting calories is pretty difficult. And when they say "eat more", I try my best. I eat till I cant swallow. And then eat more. I think that it comes down what happens between lunch and supper as well as before bed. I just want a couple of reccomondations for cheap, easy, high protien/calorie, alright tasting meals I can use to up the protien and calories. Supplements? Carbs? you know.

What type of training split would you reckon? like push/pull/legs?

Eggs and hot sauce/salsa
Meat and rice/quinoa/potatoes/fruit
Milk if your body is ok with it.
It isn't rocket surgery man.

What I do is:
Divide your macros into how many meals per day you eat. Figure out what portion size is necassary for whatever you'll be eating(just a rough idea like a fist, 2 fist, palm etc).
Every meal has 1 serving of:
Protein
Fat
Fruit
Vegetable

Thank goodness eating isn't rocket surgery, that sounds damn near impossible.

I don't know if I really made this all that clear: I can't really go out and buy food all the time. And keeping food that needs refrigeration is not really an option, and cooking it is a pain in the ass and not always possible.
I need ideas on dry foods that is easy to store and does not need refrigeration and preferably no cooking either.

Its really not. You don't need to get everything down to the exact calorie, its a bulk. Go on livestrong.com and it basically has almost every food. Just estimate best you can serving size and you will get an idea of where your calories are, how much you actually are eating, and how much more you need to eat.

What really helped me a lot in school would be to instead of getting water with the meals get the chocolate milk cartons. I forgot exactly how many calories each is, i think its maybe around 150, but i would get 2 with lunch, then another 2 throughout the day. So right there from milk i was getting 600 more calories, plus the protein. Its nothing too fancy, but it really helped me get my calories from the 3000 or so i was eating to the 3300+ needed to gain 1lb per week. I had gotten those figures from livestrong.com

Not sure, look at what worked for you in the past. For me personally i've done pretty well on 5x5 routines or 5/3/1, as well as an upper/lower split. Its all about what works for you. Pick something decent and stick with it for a while

No offense, but you really need to give a few reasons why you can't buy or cook food. That's just not acceptable. I can't think of any reason a guy with an internet connection doesn't have the ability to physically cook food or buy food. You have the technology to get on the internet, I'm sure the technology to cook food exists in your area. As far as I'm aware they don't make homes or apartments with interents connections but WITHOUT basic utilities such as a stove. They definitely make apartments the other way around though--stove, sink, no internet.

As to your question, mixed nuts are calorie dense and ready to eat. Mixed nuts + dried fruit = calories. Also, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.

LMAO! I think that's when the operating table is accelerating to the moon.

"The second thing is I live at a school (boarding school) while I am training, so the diet sucks. 3 meals a day, you can eat as much as you want, but you never know what you are gonna get (rice and chicken one day to pies and fries the other). I have time to take meals between meals, but it is a REAL hassle to buy food and cook it since I need to fill out forms for taxis etc... I can hit the shops once every 4 weeks.
I use most supplements, mass gainers, whey, creatine."
Reading is FUNdamental

"The second thing is I live at a school (boarding school) while I am training, so the diet sucks. 3 meals a day, you can eat as much as you want, but you never know what you are gonna get (rice and chicken one day to pies and fries the other). I have time to take meals between meals, but it is a REAL hassle to buy food and cook it since I need to fill out forms for taxis etc... I can hit the shops once every 4 weeks.
I use most supplements, mass gainers, whey, creatine."
Reading is FUNdamental

I use most supplements, mass gainers, whey, creatine "
Reading is FUNdamental.

Reasons for having an internet connection: you buy a laptop and a 3G card. And voila.
Reason for not having a fridge: I do, but I share it with another 5 guys that do some BBing and I don't want them to eat my food. I might buy a fridge though for my room to keep stuff cold tho. It aint expensive, I just wanna save as much money as I can, seeing as I live off an allowance.

Reasons for not being able to frequently buy food: My school is like the army, no jokes, it is based on that model, you have limited leaves (3) per term, so getting out the gates is a mission.
Reasons for not beinbg able to cook food: 1) it is a pain in thje ass 2) sometimes I haven't the time (my 10 am meal is a break between classes for example)... But if I get a fridge of my own, I'll just pre cook it ass and then eat it cold.

And yes, my "area" is just as technologically advanced as yours. I don't live in a fukkin' cave man. Its just that things get a bit restricted when you don't earn an income, share a kitchen with 5 other people, as well as a living space, and are not always permitted to leave the premesis.

Its a bitch, but at least the gym is literally 150 steps away (yes I counted on my way back from the gym once)

Label the food with your name so they know its yours and not to eat it

All you've done in this entire thread is make excuses OP.

To answer your question: "is 25lbs by December 2011 possible?" no, no it's not... Not for you.

Yeah, you say it's excuses, I say it is my reality. Sorry. Why do you think I'd create a thread just to complain?
I am just askin for a little help.

Nuts.

They last for ever, store dry very easily and are high in protein.

Oh and you're in SA, get some fokken droewors and biltong in man. On the rare occasions I'm over I can eat like a kilo of that stuff a day.

Also your goal is very doable. I have gained 9kg/20lbs since Sept/Oct last year...

No, you're making excuses. I told you to count calories and you said "But thats hard"
You have a fridge to store food in "But your afraid people will eat your food" Man up, tell them not to eat it, label it with your name
You have to ability to cook, but "its a pain in the ass"

If you're not going to put in the effort, you're not going to get the results, end of story

Buy a quality blender and keep it in your room. If you have time between classes go up and blend yourself a protein shake. You can and should make it with full fat milk, cottage cheese, banana(s), apple(s), natural yoghurt, rolled oats (raw is fine if blending), or any combination of these.

In addition, you can carry around nuts, peanut butter, canned tuna, dried fruit, protein bars.

Read the nutrition articles on this site. Good luck.