T Nation

25 and High Cholesterol

So I had my blood checked about a month ago, and to my dismay found out my cholesterol count was 275, and trig. were 250. The problem is, a lot of it is due to heredity. What sort of things could I do to lower this without meds?

To lower triglycerides- follow a low carb diet, take fish oil 3,000-6,000mg of EPA/DHA daily.

I assume you're lifting weights and doing cardio?

Yea, doing both. I have been for years which is why it suprised me that it was so high.

What's your weight, height and estimated body fat?

Are you eating 6 times a day? Try intermittent fasting. :slight_smile:

High triglycerides are normally an indication that it isn't heredity. Triglycerides can be controlled and substantially lowered with diet, exercise, and weight loss, generally speaking.

Second the eating low carb, and taking lots of fish oil to lower triglyceride levels. I was able to drop mine into the 40s this way.

An article I recall about triglycerides and its relationship to cholesterol that might be of help.

"What are "normal" triglycerides?"

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2011/04/what-are-normal-triglycerides.html

Well I eat about 4 times per day. I'll have to check into the article.

You mean the chol #s aren't concerning? I assume you didn't mean the triglycerides too? They're rather high, and I would assume his HDL is not that high to enable a good Tri:HDL ratio.

Some additional points I have found from self research, my dad is on statins for very marginally high numbers...

I was reading about Co-Q10 increasing blood levels of vitamin E - which would increase HDL (often described as the good cholesterol).
Homocysteine becomes elevated in the blood with a deficiency of the vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid.
The B vitamins, along with betaine, or tri-methyl-glycine (TMG), change homocysteine into safer amino acids and reduce inflammation of the LDL cholesterol and the arterial lining.
Fibre like Psyllium husk is known to reduce bad cholesterol by removing bile acids
Eliminate trans-fats
Avoid chlorinated water
Water-soluble antioxidants, such as vitamin C, and grape seed extract come in contact with and neutralize free radicals before they damage LDL-cholesterol

K, just wanted to clarify.

Start taking crestor.. You have a family history of heart disease I am sure. Do what u want but you need the LDL decrease and more importantly the HDL increase. Also bigger still is the plaque regression that only crestor will give you and with your genetics could potentially prolong your life..

The facts suck but at least we have the meds available. Prevention with meds is significantly better than waiting until you have an event and then trying to play catch up. Honestly a low dose would get your cholesterol in line..

Also your trigs aren't horrible .. Did you fast before your blood draw? I you eat a high fat meal within a few hours you could spike a trig level in the 1000s

I suggest trying the natural approach first instead of going on meds at 25 for the rest of his life, which can lead to muscle damage kidney problems, liver problems, est. Statin can cause more problems than they fix.

Seriously, recommending he just go on meds, instead of actually trying to fix the problem is less than smart.

You don't know what his family history is, you don't know if his family history is tied to genetics or lifestyle, you don't know what his diet, body comp, weight, exercise plan are like. You don't know what you are talking about.

X2 he sounds like the typical doctor. What does he mean Tri's don't seem high? LOL

Doubledouche.. 1) show me a study that shows low dose statins cause myalgias? 2) Please dont tell me that your putting all statins in a class together.. simvastatin, vytorin must be used at high doses just to get a decent reduction in cholesterol hence all the issues.. And unless you cant read he said it was due to hereditary.

Are you seriously going to assume at 25 that his total cholesterol is just due to his lifestyle.. Unless he is morbidly obese he wouldn't be throwing a 275 at 25 without some serious family history. I am giving him the benefit that he isnt morbidly obese.. And ive even seen some morbidly obese mid 20s throwing better numbers..

Second I only stated that his trigs werent too concerning because they are easily affected by diet .. The more concerning part is his cholesterol. The reason physicans get all the (oh just like a dr tell him to go on meds) is because 99 out of 100 patients cannot or will not be able to affect their cholesterol enough with simply diet and exercise. Mostly because with a family history they cannot or will not eat clean enough or become cardio junkies.

You need to do more research on statins not just the article you read in the newspapers or magazines.. try reading a few studies. Let me ask the OP what did the Dr suggest you do about your numbers? All will try diet and exercise first. Then in a year or two he will be on a statin.. WHY?

Crestor is proven to reduce the risk of having an event even in patients who dont present with a higher than normal cholesterol level but with at least one risk factor.. IE smoker, family history, low HDL, hypertension. I guess you are smarter though. Tell me what is not smart? When you have a decent cholestrol it is much easier to say oh just diet and exercise it will all go away. You are naive.

fine, you want statin research from doctors?

Dr. Graveline speaks about the nasty side effects of statins in his books on it.

Dr. Lundell who has done over 5,000 heart surgeries says this:
"1/2 the people on my table had high cholesterol, the other half did not"

He goes on to say current statin research shows the following:
"statins DO modestly lower heart attack rates in middle-aged me with DIAGNOSED heart disease
they DON'T in men without diagnosed heart disease"

which is the category the OP is in. Add that statins haven't been shown to benefit women.

also, the benefit from statins appears according to the above doctors and many others not from cholesterol lowering, which is what you're saying the OP needs, but b/c they're anti-inflammaroty. How about just taking fish oil and eating an anti-inflammatory diet?

please, I don't want to sound mean here, but you may want to do some reading from Gary Taubes, Graveline, Lundell

OP, if you're going to worry about your #s

bring your tri's down by what was suggested naturally, and compare that to your HDL (not total cholesterol)

studies show that this ratio is the most important for predicting future heart attacks. You want it 2.0 or lower

Yea, I'm not morbidly obese :slight_smile: I'm 5'10' 188 pounds. Fairly Active all my life, which is why this suprised me. I don't have abad diet either.

Those arent studies those are individual physicians opinions. Dr Graveline was on to something but all he did was point to the fact that some statins still work where it matters. Too bad is reserch is from back before 2006 so he is a little dated to say the least..

This is a study
The study, called Jupiter, found that Crestor reduced the risk of heart-related death, heart attacks and other serious cardiac problems by 44% compared with those given placebos. The 17,802 participants were entering prime heart-attack ages -- over 50 years for men and over 60 for women -- but none had evidence of serious heart disease or cholesterol levels high enough to call for treatment under current guidelines.

All participants did have elevated levels in their blood of C-reactive protein, or CRP, an inflammatory marker that in previous studies has been shown to identify patients at heart risk independent of their cholesterol levels. Half of heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol. As a result, some experts say the study supports broad use of a high-sensitivity CRP test to find people who may be falsely assured by low cholesterol levels that they are protected from trouble and determine if they might be candidates for treatment. High-sensitivity CRP tests are available just like cholesterol lab tests, and are already covered by insurance in many cases.

"This takes prevention to a new level," said Douglas Weaver, head of cardiology at Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, who wasn't involved with the Jupiter study. "It defines a new population" of patients at risk.

Jupiter is the talk of the heart meeting in New Orleans, which is expected to draw more than 25,000 cardiologists and other attendees involved in battling cardiovascular disease. Doctors and investors have been awaiting the results since last March, when the trial was halted after an interim check found overwhelming benefit for the drug. That was after patients had been followed for an average of just 1.9 years, two years earlier than planned. (It would be unethical to continue the trial when you could be harming patients knowingly by withholding medication)

The findings will stir new debate in a field already divided over the role of high-sensitivity CRP testing in clinical practice. They are certain to figure in deliberations of U.S. cholesterol experts who plan a major update of prevention and cholesterol guidelines next year. Jupiter researchers estimate that six million people in the U.S. meet the criteria of those participating in the study and thus might benefit from statin therapy; some analysts put the number above 10 million.

The study comes after the uproar early this year when the cholesterol drug Vytorin failed to show a benefit in a trial involving a controversial surrogate for heart risk. The episode involving the Merck & Co. and Schering-Plough Corp. drug triggered skepticism about the value of statin therapy and the benefit of lowering LDL, or bad cholesterol. Researchers said the new data should dispel those concerns.

"This is very reassuring for statins as a class and for the public at large," said Paul Ridker, a cardiologist at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital who led the Jupiter study. The drugs "are highly effective at doing what really matters," preventing serious heart-related events.

In the study, which randomized patients to 20 milligrams of Crestor or placebo, LDL cholesterol among patients taking the drug plunged 50% to an average of 55, the lowest achieved to date in a major statin study. CRP fell 37% and wasn't associated with how much LDL was reduced. Deaths from any cause were reduced by 20%, the first time that has been shown in people without diagnosed heart disease. Among women, the drug lowered risk of major events 46%, with a similar reduction for blacks and Hispanics. Risk of a first heart attack, stroke and the need for procedures to clear or bypass clogged arteries declined at rates from 46% to 54%.

"Those benefits are approximately twice as large as what doctors expect when you use statins in patients with [high cholesterol]," Dr. Ridker said. "And they didn't have [high cholesterol]. What they had was high CRP."

What I am trying to say is you dont know what you are talking about.. If The OP has markers for heart disease and he as he says is doing carido and lifting and also has familial history of heart disease then he should be doing what counts. I do like the idea of taking anti inflammatories like fish oils etc but they have yet to be proven as effective. Point is if its me and mine I would try diet and exercise but if unable, until the medical community comes up with new guidlines for treatments and markers, I will stick with what has been shown to provide the best results.. Im taking the advice from the American College of Cardiology not DR so n so who feels one way or the other about how to treat.

I found this today about cyanidin in vitro: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21755326. Has anyone had blood done before/after I3G and seen a significant change? I know this study is in vitro and also not I3G.