225x10 Hypothetical Scenario

[quote]bwilliamsr89 wrote:
Depends on how you look at it because numbers get skewed with rep/max calculations. 170x10 to 225x10= 55lb increase but 225x10=~300 which would be a 75lb increase from 225 max. I went with 55 because it relates more to the goal.

Either way, is it unlikely someone could add 1 rep a month? That would have it well under 1 year.[/quote]
It also depends on how long they have been lifting… When I first started I went from a 155 to 240 in about 6-8 months but I have obviously never gained that fast again…

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
225 X 10 isn’t difficult to reach for a man with ordinary genetics. Basic progressive overload with the most basic routine is all that is necessary. [/quote]
Agree’d, this guy just needs to train and get stronger…I don’t even get the need for such a specific goal… I have a goal to bench 225X25 but I am not setting up my training for that one goal… To me that is the fastest way to get injured…

I had a friend in school that wanted to bench a ton and trained his chest and triceps all the time… his shoulders, bi’s and back suffered and he was pushing an injury big time when he decided not to obsess with one lift and to get stronger at everything…

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_yearly_strength_plan&cr=

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
225 X 10 isn’t difficult to reach for a man with ordinary genetics. Basic progressive overload with the most basic routine is all that is necessary. [/quote]
Agree’d, this guy just needs to train and get stronger…I don’t even get the need for such a specific goal… I have a goal to bench 225X25 but I am not setting up my training for that one goal… To me that is the fastest way to get injured…

I had a friend in school that wanted to bench a ton and trained his chest and triceps all the time… his shoulders, bi’s and back suffered and he was pushing an injury big time when he decided not to obsess with one lift and to get stronger at everything…[/quote]

I don’t see anything wrong with a bench number as their specific goal, as long as you do so intelligently. What you described was not an intelligent approach. I used to train at a gym with a guy who held on American raw record for 181 weight class, and I guaranfuckintee you he was doing 4 times as much lat, upperback, and rear delt work as he was doing pressing.

The numbers were just to help illustrate the concept. Don’t think too hard into it. Why pick a specific number? I don’t think there would be anything wrong with saying, my long term goal is 315x10. If someone decides they will be much bigger if they get to the point they are repping their 1rm, so that becomes the goal, that is just fine. I’m sure they will be bigger at that point.

And honestly, I was just trying to think of a talking point for the bigger stronger leaner forum that was different from all the bigger vs leaner stuff. Less diet debates and more on training that makes you bigger, stronger, and leaner.

If it was me, and my main goal was to get to 225(max) for 10 reps, I would probably do something like this on chest day:
175x10
190x5
200x as many sets it takes to hit 10 reps with as quick of rest possible

add 5 pounds every workout

and eat a lot

Short version of concept to be discussed: Lifter wants to bench 225 for 10 reps, his current max is 225; what is the quickest way to getting that goal? Based on rough estimation with 1rm, his current 10 rep max would be around 170.

I see several possible options:

• Work with sets of ten, gradually adding weight until you reach 225 for ten
  • Go balls to the wall every time you bench, doing 225 for as many sets/reps as possible. Add sets of 1 initially, then doing sets of two. The theory here is specificity; goal is reps with 225, so get very accustomed to 225 being in your hands.
  • Work on increasing 1rm, which would need to be around 300 in order to get 10 reps @225 ( I know, not exact and there is room for error).
  • Some combination of all of the above? Heavy day early in the week, 10 rep sets day later in the week? Work to heavy singles/doubles or whatever and then do back off sets in the 10 rep range? Use a particular training method for a 4-6 week cycle and then switch?

Iâ??m interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this. Lots of different viewpoints in this particular forum so respect each person, nothing is written in stone, and lets have a good discussion.

No, it doesnâ??t have to be said, every person is different and responds best to different things. Just want to kick some concepts around.
[/quote]

If the lifter weigh’s 170 then I would say to have him lift his bodyweight for 10 and gain up to 225. That in my opinion would be the fastest way to 225x10.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
If it was me, and my main goal was to get to 225(max) for 10 reps, I would probably do something like this on chest day:
175x10
190x5

and eat a lot

[/quote]

…and sleep a lot. Your body grows when you rest.

Don’t forget to bolster your upper back and lats. Barbell rows work your upper back and lats. They’re also the opposite movement of your benching.

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
175x10
190x5

and eat a lot

[/quote]

…and sleep a lot. Your body grows when you rest.

Don’t forget to bolster your upper back and lats. Barbell rows work your upper back and lats. They’re also the opposite movement of your benching.
[/quote]

yup

What worked for me: taking 5x5 bench pressing on monday and fridays through 3 stalls/resets. Then making friday closegrip 5x5 and leaving monday flatbench 5x5. Taking that setup through mutiple stalls. Assistance after was heavy overhead press after flatbench. Volume overhead press after closegrip bench.

Occasionally checking my 225 rep max on a light or reset week. Went from 8-10 reps. Too 18-22 at my strongest. Fyi max before 5x5 was 265. After 355. Max 5x5 was 305.Seems like decent results to me. No supplements. Just multi and fish oil.

For me what helped increase my bench the most was pushing the heaviest weight possible and then once I got comfortable with the heavier weight working on increasing reps at that weight. Obviously the heavier in weights you get the longer it takes relatively to increase. 225X10 should be fairly easy to obtain as lots of kids in high school obtain this. As a junior I put up 225x25 at the midsouth combine.

Like some have touched on I would mix heavy days with low weights and lighter days with high reps to build endurance. It is what has worked for me. Over the last 12 months I have gone from 385X10 up to 405-425 for 8-10 depending on the day. But I also rotate fly days weekly and dumbbell days as pure strength isn’t really my goal.

Bauber, your a beast

The numbers were just to help illustrate the concept. Don’t think too hard into it. Why pick a specific number? I don’t think there would be anything wrong with saying, my long term goal is 315x10. If someone decides they will be much bigger if they get to the point they are repping their 1rm, so that becomes the goal, that is just fine. I’m sure they will be bigger at that point.

And honestly, I was just trying to think of a talking point for the bigger stronger leaner forum that was different from all the bigger vs leaner stuff. Less diet debates and more on training that makes you bigger, stronger, and leaner.[/quote]
I am with you on that… Sometimes I think this is the “leaner” forum because the other two are non existent… I do have some goals like that I guess the OP look as if that was the only goal… My goal is to do 225X25 I have done about 15 on a good day and I have done 185X25 on a good day… But I also do much more pulling than pressing right now because my back is my weak point…

For me at least, pressing (as opposed to pulling or squatting) really requires I get stronger in a large spectrum or rep ranges to increase it any way.

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
Occasionally checking my 225 rep max on a light or reset week. Went from 8-10 reps. Too 18-22 at my strongest. Fyi max before 5x5 was 265. After 355. Max 5x5 was 305.Seems like decent results to me. No supplements. Just multi and fish oil.[/quote]

How long did you run it?

Unsure time wise. Seems like that was under a year. Maybe 9 month…

Bauber, your a beast[/quote]
I second that…

Bauber, your a beast[/quote]

Thank you but I’m not sure about all that. Bench has actually been the lift I’ve struggled the hardes with raising. Been my weakest link relatively within my lifts.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
For me at least, pressing (as opposed to pulling or squatting) really requires I get stronger in a large spectrum or rep ranges to increase it any way. [/quote]

Absolutely true. Pushing always seems to need more work than other movements to budge weights. Perhaps the issue is age specific?