T Nation

225lb Seated Military Press @ 200lbs

something worth bragging about? or is it shut up and go squat for me?

Well, according to exrx that puts you past advanced and closing in on elite.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandards.html

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
something worth bragging about? or is it shut up and go squat for me?[/quote]

Thats good bro, for me it’s 185@190

The numbers on the site for the lift are modest because it’s a standing military press, not seated. For me the difference is about 10% less for the heels touching, pause the bar on my chest, standing military press and the seated overhead barbell press.

Been a while since I checked, but my seated and standing presses were about the same. I’ve done 265 at bwt of 220lb on either. I personally wouldn’t consider that anything special considering some of the weights used when the press was a competitive lift. However, they often degraded the standing version into an extremely laid-back “standing incline press”.

Ive done 225lbs @ 180lbs for 2 sets of 10 one month out from a show(naturally, cant wait to see what its like when im 40% natural). I would rather do more reps than a bunch of weight one time, but then again bodybuilding and powerlifting are very different.

Seated Military presses are an issue, what is the standard for the lift? elbows 90 degrees? or touch your chest? i go down to my chin which is pretty deep.

annnyways, ROM can add a fuck load to your total so depends on how you press.

so how do you press? dont lie

i know its till 90

cmon

[quote]TwinsFanMike wrote:
The numbers on the site for the lift are modest because it’s a standing military press, not seated. For me the difference is about 10% less for the heels touching, pause the bar on my chest, standing military press and the seated overhead barbell press.[/quote]

Oops, didn’t realise he said seated. This might be more appropriate then;

www.oddlifts.com/seated_military_press.html

Hey, according to that the OLSA record for the seated military at 200lbs is only 155… weird.

[quote]will to power wrote:
TwinsFanMike wrote:
The numbers on the site for the lift are modest because it’s a standing military press, not seated. For me the difference is about 10% less for the heels touching, pause the bar on my chest, standing military press and the seated overhead barbell press.

Hey, according to that the OLSA record for the seated military at 200lbs is only 155… weird.[/quote]

Other way around I think…

[quote]All2ez wrote:
Seated Military presses are an issue, what is the standard for the lift? elbows 90 degrees? or touch your chest? i go down to my chin which is pretty deep.

annnyways, ROM can add a fuck load to your total so depends on how you press.

so how do you press? dont lie

i know its till 90

cmon[/quote]

I agree, most people that I see at my gym tend to lift with a limited ROM. I try to go to my chin, it gives me a good stretch and also keeps me from going all the way down to my chest and putting strain on my rotator.

[quote]Ackrite wrote:
will to power wrote:
TwinsFanMike wrote:

Hey, according to that the OLSA record for the seated military at 200lbs is only 155… weird.

Other way around I think…[/quote]

I thought so at first, but if you look around they’ve got the columns labeled in some of the other lifts.

www.oddlifts.com/2_person_deadlift.html

It also wouldn’t make sense, if 155 was bodyweight and 200 was the lift then you have an extra number [194] that doesn’t belong anywhere.

[quote]will to power wrote:
Ackrite wrote:
will to power wrote:
TwinsFanMike wrote:

Other way around I think…

I thought so at first, but if you look around they’ve got the columns labeled in some of the other lifts.

www.oddlifts.com/2_person_deadlift.html

It also wouldn’t make sense, if 155 was bodyweight and 200 was the lift then you have an extra number [194] that doesn’t belong anywhere.[/quote]

Ahhh, yeah you’re right. It just seems like 200lbs 1rm @ 155 bw seems like more of a “record” than 155lbs 1rm at 200lbs bw.

Seated MILITARY press? There’s no such thing (think about it).

I go all the way down to my chest/collarbone, that bad for the shoulder?

[quote]Ackrite wrote:
Ahhh, yeah you’re right. It just seems like 200lbs 1rm @ 155 bw seems like more of a “record” than 155lbs 1rm at 200lbs bw.
[/quote]

Yes it does… but it makes me think the OP should contact these people and get to a meet. There might be money in this. At the very least there will be a tiny amount of internet fame. Everyone loves internet fame, it’s the easiest kind of fame.

[quote]jrjody wrote:
Ive done 225lbs @ 180lbs for 2 sets of 10 one month out from a show(naturally, cant wait to see what its like when im 40% natural). I would rather do more reps than a bunch of weight one time, but then again bodybuilding and powerlifting are very different.[/quote]

40% natural… hmm

40% natural was a joke. My ROM was to the chin any deeper and its too much strain on my rotator

Why can one press much more weight seated than standing using the military press movement?

[quote]Serd wrote:
Why can one press much more weight seated than standing using the military press movement?[/quote]

less to stabilize through the core

Just an aside, but I seriously think seated military presses with around a 75-80 degree incline and from the chin have to be one of the absolute best overhead exercises ever ever ever.