T Nation

225 for Reps

The thread about why football uses the 225 rep test got me thinking…what have the people here done 225 for? I got somewhere around 14-16 a year or so ago, and I think I could easily better that now. I’ve done 275x12 and 260x15 (with a fat bar for the 260) in the past two weeks.

ii did 15 reps last week

I usually do 225 at the end of my flat bench work out after doing 275x6…at that point I’m getting 15 reps.

I did 225 x 17 some time in the last year, and on 2 occasions. My max was 345 at the time, but if I just went in an warmed up and did it I wouldn’t get that many. I had just worked up to a max triple with some bands-the same workout, and my submax reps always go higher after that probably because I am popping it up quicker and wasting less energy. I’d say, otherwise I would probably get 12-14.

It got me thinking that that might be a good way to build muscle-work up to a heavy set of 3-5 then drop down and rep out-but honestly I think its just a neurological trick and not sure it really lets me work harder.

By the way, I searched aroung for numbers on Arnold, and one source that claims to recount his typical real weight workouts claimed that he usually did the following:

135 for 30-40 quick reps
225 x 15-20
275 x 12-15
315 x 10-12
365 x 8
405 x 6

28 is my PR.

The most I have done is 27, Before the guy spotting me took the weight.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I did 225 x 17 some time in the last year, and on 2 occasions. My max was 345 at the time, but if I just went in an warmed up and did it I wouldn’t get that many. I had just worked up to a max triple with some bands-the same workout, and my submax reps always go higher after that probably because I am popping it up quicker and wasting less energy. I’d say, otherwise I would probably get 12-14.

It got me thinking that that might be a good way to build muscle-work up to a heavy set of 3-5 then drop down and rep out-but honestly I think its just a neurological trick and not sure it really lets me work harder.
[/quote]

I am the same way. The weight just flies after handling heavier weight.

i dont lift 225for max reps but my training partner does because they test him on it for football. we just fininshed a kickass month and a half of lifting and his max bench went up about 30lbs. and his max reps with 225 went from 25 to 31! its pretty cool to watch him do this!

im looking forward to the next 6 weeks!

train hard,
ryan b.

im weaker than allyall. i just started training bench again and, without actually having repped with 225, i think i could get 15 right now. bodyweight-200.

mertdawg,

I think Waterbury has a program based on a heavy weight and the repping out, I think it was Hybrid Hypertrophy, but I’m not sure.

i just turned 20, play fullback and ill typically do 17-18 after ending a bench pyramid at 325 for 3 reps