225 BP Test

how would u guys train for this test?

max strength
speed-strength methods

once a week replace all bench work with, 10 sets of 10 with (135, 185, 225 whichever you can do) with 60-90 seconds of rest in between sets(stretch opposing muscles etc)

the secret is speed

[quote]dcfball wrote:
max strength
speed-strength methods

once a week replace all bench work with, 10 sets of 10 with (135, 185, 225 whichever you can do) with 60-90 seconds of rest in between sets(stretch opposing muscles etc)

the secret is speed[/quote]

r u bp twice a week.

[quote]dcfball wrote:
max strength
speed-strength methods

the secret is speed[/quote]

GVT (German Volume Training)Poliquin has a great article about it. just search GVT Poliquin!

Yes, get stronger and get faster. It will depend on what you bench now, but speed is more important than people think. No matter how strong you are, you are likely to only have about 40 seconds before your body gives out. Try to figure out if you can get away with sloppy reps…that would help a good bit.

Obviously if you bench 275 or so or less, you just need to get stronger. If you’re benching 300+, keep one heavy day (sets of 5, 3, or 1) and then one speed day (traditional Westside 8-10 sets of 3 at 50-60%, 225 itself if it’s under 70% of your max).

I think Charles Staley wrote something similar to this regarding completing more pull-ups, but I would think that the principle would still apply.

Example goal = 20 reps
Current ability = 8 reps

week 1
5 sets of 4 reps, 60 sec rest inbetween

week 2
5 sets of 4 reps, 55 sec rest

week 3

By the end of 12 weeks, you should be able to hit 20 reps. This should not only build your strength, but your endurance as well.

[quote]RickJames wrote:
Yes, get stronger and get faster. It will depend on what you bench now, but speed is more important than people think. No matter how strong you are, you are likely to only have about 40 seconds before your body gives out. Try to figure out if you can get away with sloppy reps…that would help a good bit.

Obviously if you bench 275 or so or less, you just need to get stronger. If you’re benching 300+, keep one heavy day (sets of 5, 3, or 1) and then one speed day (traditional Westside 8-10 sets of 3 at 50-60%, 225 itself if it’s under 70% of your max). [/quote]

i like your setup, this is what i am doing now:

tue:
bp/plyo pushups 5x2xheavy
front plate raises 4x20
1 arm row 4x20
db tri ext 4x20

fri:
bp 225x100reps