T Nation

22 Yr Old, About to Give Up...

Also… the last few weeks when i start lifting my body starts to ache, idk if thatd mean anything but its killing my motivation…

you know that 8am Ideal Cortisol is 15-20 and that under 10 is a fairly serious concern?

that plus your high TSH (you really need to test for thyroid antibodies)

I would recommend research adrenal issues and fixing those first. Then look at getting treated for your thyroid once you have additional tests including Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3, and ferritin.

please check out stopthethyroidmadness.com/things-we-have-learned/

once your thyroid and adrenals are fixed then look at your other hormone issues.

BTW, where is your Estadiol Test results?

your symptoms are also potentially indicative of an Aldosterone problem (your sodium levels are below ideal and your swelling ankles)
check out stopthethyroidmadness.com/aldosterone/ and stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/
the one thing that they don’t mention is that chronic low Aldosterone can also lead to water retention, high blood pressure, and high resting heart rate.

you can do a quick an easy pupil test per the sttm site or you can just toss 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of COARSE sea salt to the back of your throat, chug a glass of water and wait 30 minutes. If you feel a huge rush of feeling great with a big energy increase, then your electrolytes were off which helps confirm the low aldosterone. I take 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt daily and am probably going to try out Florinef.

yea i thought that was weird that there were no estrodial results, but i found a doc that lives fairly close to me that claims theyll work with my borderline levels so ill definately be doing the things you mentioned and my estrodial checked out.

Also last year when my cortisol levels were lower than what i posetd i was suicidal, and would sleep up to 16hrs at a time(flunked out of college as a result). Im going to walk across the street to kroger and get the sea salt to try that, and then start researching in to Aldosterone. Thanks alot PC for your in put, its extremely appreciated.

Edit: also my resting heart rate is always high

try the COARSE sea salt (fine salt is truly gagging and disgusting) some mix directly with water, but I couldn’t stand that either.

try the salt for a couple of days and then recheck your resting heart rate. mine dropped from the 90s to the 70s, and my bp dropped by like 20-30 points.

ok so i did the salt test like u said with the course salt and i set a timer since im at work. This morning ive been complaining to my co-worker about how tired and shitty i felt, and my eyes felt like i was still asleep. I didnt notice anything at all until right at 20min, it felt like i was starting to wake up. I dont have a huge rush of energy right now but im not tired at all like i was and i havent done anything other than eat the salt with full glass of water.

I also found this interesting from thta site you posted, i have all of these other than i dont know about the potassium. “Symptoms of low aldosterone can also include frequent urination, sweating, a slightly higher body temperature, and a feeling of thirst, besides the craving of salt. Potassium can fall, as well.”

ok so i just scheduled with my GP on the 6th to get some blood work and a referrel to a diff endo. so is there anything i should get checked out other than adrenals, TSH, fT4, fT4, rT3, thryoid antibodies, ferritin, estrodial, potassium and sodium?

8am cortisol
aldosterone
D25-OH
PSA

you can always try and get
pregnenolone
progesterone
estradiol (SENSITIVE #4021)
IGF-1 (if completely off may give you some insight - growth hormone check)
Homocysteine, Cardo
Hemoglobin A1c
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES
THYROID PEROXIDASE
VITAMIN B12
Vitamin D, 25-OH Total

did the pupil test last night, my pupils didnt stay dialated for 10sec before they started to flutter… im definately going to do some more research into adrenal problems to get ready for my next doc appointment, im starting to feel like you hit the nail on the head

and the back of my legs and gluts have been aching so bad the last couple weeks so i did a little research, found out that low potassium can cause that.

those are the latest results, i got a follow up in a few weeks … lemme know wat ya think, ty

No reference range for LH/FSH? Cortisol looks improved, any idea why?

Your TSH is sky high especially considering your FT4 is near the middle of the ref range. Really need FT3, preferably have Reverse T3, TPO/ATA (Thyroid antibodies) as well as ferritin/iron, Vit B12. Also really need Vit D.

You briefly mentioned at the end of the first page feeling “tired” - is this a constant problem? Have you done the body temperature test? Take morning temperature, then take temps at 3/6/9 hours after waking (make sure you haven’t eaten, drank, or done any amount of exercise within 20 minutes of testing, including walking up a flight of stairs). Do this for 5-7 days, report your average waking temp, and then for the 3 other measurements, they should average 98.6 and should generally rise from morning to afternoon.

Waking temps <97.5 indicate hypothyroid
Average of other temps <98.6 indicate hypothyroid
Inconsistent average day-to-day temps indicate poor adrenal function

yea for some reason they didnt provide me with a reference range for LF/FSH, and I dont have the slightest clue why my cortisol is higher thats the best its ever been, although if I just HEAR someone bitching about something I feel like I want to just sit down somewhere and do nothing. The tired thing, Im fatigued 24/7 and oddly the only time I feel like a human being is if I’ve been working out or exercising for about an hour or so, for some reason it just makes me feel amazing but when I’m done I feel TERRIBLE. I’ve done the body temp test but since I’m at work I only have the results for two days that I recorded in my phone, both days temps started at 8:30am and i followed up every 3hours. I can post the rest of the days after I get off work but theyre generally the same with the ups and downs.
Day1: 97.5, 98.1, 98.1, 98.0
Day2: 96.8, 96.8, 97.2, 97.0

Another thing, in just six weeks of not lifting my nipples started to get soft and pointy and my stomach was bloated all day long. Definately was seeing a lot of gyno symptoms. So last friday I tried to start lifting again and easing my way in to it, and the very next day I felt like I had the flu, my entire body was aching, my glands in the front and the back of my neck were very swollen and sore, my head felt like it was splitting in two, but I had no sore throat and no runny nose or feelings of being nausiated. I’ve read that a person with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome could experience those symptoms after exercise, and I’m definately still feeling them.

[quote]diesel44 wrote:
yea for some reason they didnt provide me with a reference range for LF/FSH, and I dont have the slightest clue why my cortisol is higher thats the best its ever been, although if I just HEAR someone bitching about something I feel like I want to just sit down somewhere and do nothing. The tired thing, Im fatigued 24/7 and oddly the only time I feel like a human being is if I’ve been working out or exercising for about an hour or so, for some reason it just makes me feel amazing but when I’m done I feel TERRIBLE. I’ve done the body temp test but since I’m at work I only have the results for two days that I recorded in my phone, both days temps started at 8:30am and i followed up every 3hours. I can post the rest of the days after I get off work but theyre generally the same with the ups and downs.
Day1: 97.5, 98.1, 98.1, 98.0
Day2: 96.8, 96.8, 97.2, 97.0

Another thing, in just six weeks of not lifting my nipples started to get soft and pointy and my stomach was bloated all day long. Definately was seeing a lot of gyno symptoms. So last friday I tried to start lifting again and easing my way in to it, and the very next day I felt like I had the flu, my entire body was aching, my glands in the front and the back of my neck were very swollen and sore, my head felt like it was splitting in two, but I had no sore throat and no runny nose or feelings of being nausiated. I’ve read that a person with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome could experience those symptoms after exercise, and I’m definately still feeling them.[/quote]

Need more than 2 days of measurement, but IF you continue that trend of low and inconsistent daily body temps that usually indicates poor adrenal (cortisol) function along with hypothyroid

well im SOL, had my doc appt yesterday and she basically told me i needed to get into a university setting because she hadnt the slightest clue how to help me. im debating on checking in to dr crisler, mariano or shippen but im still looking in to that. so at this point idk what to do, shes like the 15th doc ive seen thats just kind of thrown me out the door… sigh

Are your glands still feeling sore/enlarged? Given the accompanying fatigue, I would get an ultrasound of your thyroid ASAP. You may require surgery.

Did you ever get your TPO/ATA tested (thyroid antibodies)? I didn’t see them in your labs.

Did you do more than 2 days of temperature testing? It also sounds like your adrenals are failing.

my glands arent “swollen” or sore right now but my left one is usually a little larger, ive had an ultrasound of them and there are 4 tiny cysts total on them but the endo at the time said it wasnt conecern. i tried to get the specific tests taken by the endo i seen yesterday but she didnt want to hear anything i had to say other than how i was feeling physically, then took the test she wanted and basically refused to deal with me. i started to get the exrta days of testing until my dad was taken to the hospital for heart related issues. yea my dads side of the family is notorious for cardiovascular problems, and my moms side for thryoid/endo issues and it seems like im getting the best of both worlds. i just want to get rid of this fat im holding and get enough energy to possibly go back to school and live my life, oh and have the ability to have a girlfriend. sry for little rant

extra days of temps***

also my family and a friend that lives with me have been telling me how edgy ive been the last couple weeks, and ive been feeling very overwhelmed and stressed lately like the smallest things set me off.

[quote]diesel44 wrote:
my glands arent “swollen” or sore right now but my left one is usually a little larger, ive had an ultrasound of them and there are 4 tiny cysts total on them but the endo at the time said it wasnt conecern.[/quote]

!!!

How long ago was this? I’m guessing those “unconcerning” cysts have grown (purely a guess).

You need to find a doc that cares about making you better more than they care about their knowledge being challenged.

the endo who checked out my glands was the first endo id ever seen. and all the docs following never thought it was that big a deal. the left glan is usually a tad swollen at all times unless im sick or something then it gets huge and it hurts to turn my head. and at the same time my left testicle is abnormily(for me) small especially compared to my right, if that has any importance. i just dont feel like doing anything anymore, i constantly just want to eat and sleep and i cant even lift anymore after a couple work outs im burnt out.

i actually just rememberd that i had an ultrasound of my thyroids again in february and that i had never been given the results. just got off the phone with my GPs office and they said in the doctors notes that there were cysts but it was noted as non-specific, and i was never informed of this.

I want some other people to weigh in on this. But you NEED to find a doc who cares about making you better. You aren’t simply depressed or lazy or anything like that - it’s not your fault, your body is seriously malfunctioning.

Get the results of that ultrasound. The testicle thing is an entire new can of worms. Do you live in a city with a lot of doctor options?