T Nation

22 Year Old with Low T

First of all I’d like to say I’m glad this forum exists because I wasn’t sure where to go looking for advice. I just turned 22 and I’d just like to provide a background. I went through puberty pretty early, at 11 or 12 years old and eventually grew to be 6’3’’ by the time I was 17. I also have full facial fair and a ton of body hair. To make matters more interesting I developed gynecomastia either during or slightly before puberty (hard to remember). I have a skinny fat type of frame right now. I got a blood test at 19 years old and my T was low but just above the cutoff for what is considered normal but recently I got another test and I was at 193 which is super low for any age. I just saw a endocrinologist and she gave me a blood test to take which includes:

DHT
Estradiol
FSH
LH
Prolactin
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin
Testosterone, Free and total, LC/MS/MS

Is there anything else I should be doing? I will be taking the test in the morning while fasting. I have had a CT scan before for my pituitary gland and there wasn’t anything wrong they could find. I should also add I have no sexual issues that I know of.

I have been on TRT since I was 20. I am going on 23 now. It can be necessary at our age if you have a legitimate case. I had no sexual issues either at 360 ng/dl, by the way.

[quote]randallh1989 wrote:
I have been on TRT since I was 20. I am going on 23 now. It can be necessary at our age if you have a legitimate case. I had no sexual issues either at 360 ng/dl, by the way.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty much 99% sure I want to go on TRT since I’ve never felt like I could keep up physically with guys my age. I am concerned though that elevating TRT could cause my gynecomastia to come back or increase my body hair by even more to the point I’m a wolf man. I’m thinking I need to talk to my endocrinologist about an anti-estrogen and/or DHT inhibitor alongside the TRT.

Why do you think you want to inhibit DHT?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Why do you think you want to inhibit DHT?[/quote]

I haven’t checked my DHT levels yet but I’ve got all the things DHT is known for. A lot of body hair pretty much every place you can think of on a body, facial hair so thick I gotta shave twice a day, and oily skin. So if I get on TRT and it leads to more DHT then that just makes all those things worse and then there’s a chance of starting baldness. I have some bald guys in my family so there is a chance I am susceptible to DHT there as well.

Long story short I’m kind of between a rock and a hard place, my genetics really sucks. I’ve got low T but somehow exhibit signs of someone who is loaded with too much DHT.

U get the results on your DHT levels??

[quote]lowTinTX wrote:
U get the results on your DHT levels??
[/quote]

I gave the blood last week but I won’t see my endocrinologist until the 31st. I will get all the results from her and post them here then.

Dihydro-testosterone = 12ng/dL Range = 25-75ng/dL
Alpha Subunit 0.3ng/mL Range = 0.6ng/mL or less
Total Testosterone = 374ng/dL Range = 250-1100ng/dL
Free Testosterone = 90.2 pg/mL Range = 35.0-155.0pg/mL
FSH = 3.2mIU/mL Range = 1.6-8.0mIU/mL
LH = 3.1mIU/mL Range = 1.5-9.3 mIU/mL
Prolactin = 11.0 Range = 2.0-18.0 ng/mL
Estradiol = 28pg/mL Range = <39pg/mL
SHBG = 20nmol/L Range = 10-50nmol/L

Given these results my endocrinologist believes I have hypersensitive androgen receptors. She did notice the DHT is well below range and wants me to test my Androstanediol Glucuronide levels as a more reliable indicator.

Any opinions? Do those results look good/bad, normal?

I don’t know what “hypersensitive androgen receptors” means. What is your doc’s proposed course of treatment?

DHT is abysmally low–it is a wonder you have any libido or anything at thta level.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I don’t know what “hypersensitive androgen receptors” means. What is your doc’s proposed course of treatment?

DHT is abysmally low–it is a wonder you have any libido or anything at thta level.

[/quote]

She has no course of treatment right now besides do some more tests to see if there were any misreads and to see if we can establish an average for my levels. By the sensitivity she meant that different people respond to hormones to different degrees. Like you could give a bunch of guys the same amount of growth hormone but one will be 6 feet, one will be 5 feet, and one will be 7 feet tall. It’s really the only explanation she could think of at this point because I have all the secondary characteristics for a male (besides big muscles) and I can get hard pretty much any time.