T Nation

21st Maximal strength workout

clips from today

Paused Midthigh Hang PowerSnatches

Right click on link and save first to avoid errors!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au...4x221Dec03.mpg

Full Oly squat singles

Right click on link and save first to avoid errors!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au...les21Dec03.mpg

Post the workout later

Good workout overall, stomach was a bit full when I started though.

Warmup+ CoreWork+Plyos

Did my general warmup - dynamic swings etc, and 10 reps with 25lb in various exercises - pull, press, oly goodmorning, snatch grip BN press, hang powerclean+powerjerk, full squat press

Rest - 30secs alternating between each exercise. 1min between pairs.

1) Back Extensions x8, With a twist to each side after rep 3 +5kg x10
2) Incline situps with Russian twists to each side at the top - arms held outstretched x8, +5kg x8

Low Ankle Jumps 3x10secs

Romanian Deadlift bottom position ISO hold - 40lbs x 1min

MidThigh Paused Hang PowerSnatch

Warmups - Shoulder Dislocates with wooden staff + some overhead squats
Bar for some Slow Snatches, BN snatch presses, Overhead squats and some Hang powersnatches
Midthigh Hang PowerSnatches Bar 2x3, 75lbs x3

Rest - 2 mins

Hookgrip on first rep
109lbs 4x2, 3 sec pause on each rep at mid thigh

High Hang Squat Snatch Bar x3

Form is getting better here, used a slightly wider grip than normal. Hard to hold with hookgrip tough, but made it much easier to dip down with it.
Squat snatches with bar felt good, perfect form as well as far as I could tell.
Flexibility improving all round

Full Olympic Back Squats - RAW in Oly Shoes

Warmup sets - resting 2mins
Bar x6, 95lbs x5, 135lbs x6
Tempo 10X0 rest - 3 mins

275lbs x3

Resting 1.5 to 2mins - 335lbs x 8 singles, failed on 9th single
stripped bar down to 135lbs and squatted it back up from the pins

Tempo 43X0 - Rest 30secs - 165lbs 4x3

Singles were heavy, but heavy in a good way, I felt in control of the weight and form was good. Just controlled it down and powered it up.
Squats felt very hippy today, mostly glutes as far as I could tell, no erector action either like normal. So form may have changed.
9th single just lost steam at the sticking point. Goal is to get 10 singles with 1.5 minutes rest between each.

[u]Bits and Pieces[/u]
Alternating between each, rest - 1.5mins

GluteHam Raise on Incline Situp Board
Tempo 30X0 2x6 - using hand to help

Supported Hanging Leg Raise Extensions to Horizontal
Tempo 2010 BW 3x10 - using same leg stance as squat

then
Single Leg Back Extensions
Tempo 20X0 BW 2x20, 10 each leg.

Then layed over a swiss ball face down to stetch out the erectors and open up the spine for a couple of mins

Nice clips Cool, thanks.

Nice work on the videos. And the squats.

Good vids. I take it you meant that it was easier to get under the bar with the wider grip? I might try that as well cos I have a bad habit of not straightening my arms and then snatch pressing to lock out! I can do this because I snatch less than I can lock out.

That 9th rep on the squat looked tough right about parallel. But the 7th was impressive as you carried a good amount of speed out of the hole. You make the weight look light with the speed you move the bar at. Ever considered working on/around your sticking point with some sort of box-squat?
(I guess you'd be a powerlifter if numbers bothered you)

Good vids. I take it you meant that it was easier to get under the bar with the wider grip? I might try that as well cos I have a bad habit of not straightening my arms and then snatch pressing to lock out! I can do this because I snatch less than I can lock out.

Well the wider grip I use now is actually the proper grip I am supposed to use, since the bar sits in my hip crease in the power position - ie slightly leaning forward and knees slightly bent, just before the bar shoots up towards the end of the 2nd pull.
The wider grip also reduces the flexibility needs of the shoulders/pecs so it's much easier to dip under the bar into a full snatch position.
But the grip is taxed a lot more, hard to hold the bar since I have short fingers, and I can barely hookgrip it.
Plus it taxes my traps and shoulders a bit more supporting the bar in the racked position - but that will get better with more practise.

if your pressing out, maybe you need to lighten the load :slightly_smiling:

Well the fullsquat is just an "assistant" lift for me so I'm not to bothered with finding weaknesses in it :slightly_smiling:
I do have a huge sticking point though, just above parallel but that's due to leverage issues rather than muscular weaknesses, it has remained the same as I have gotten stronger.

Have done box squats before, couldn't tell if they helped or not.

Creed -

yeah like I have been saying, even when the weights are heavy for me, over 90% in this case for the squats, I can still move them realtively quickly and that makes then look lighter than they actually are.

But I am working hard to get them moving that's for sure!