218 lb Squat for 98 Reps

Just want to say that although this requires something, I have seen and used a reflexive trick to get high reps in the squat. I knew a guy who was purty big and strong about 5-10 215 who had worked up with a 20 rep squat program and got up to 335 x 20 real hard, maybe 5 minutes under the bar. He took 475 and did triples all weekend, maybe 6-7 mini workouts of 5-8 triples. He went back in THE NEXT DAY! and did 335 x 30 and was a literal jackhammer, probably 60-70 seconds total. Yea, he threw up afterwards, but was so quick and wasted so little energy that he didn’t even feel it until about a minute after he stepped out from under the bar. I tried this. At a point I had done 225 x 20. I took 315 and did about 50 triples over the course of a 3 day weekend, went in and did 225 for 4 sets of 25, also like a jackhammer and I am NOTHING! I did rest about 5 minutes between each set, but I barely even felt the first 20 reps because they were just popping up so fast.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
If he used 300lbs (if he weighed 400lbs ;-)) it would take him 3333 reps. I’m calling BS.

And he does 1207 pounds for reps in the squat :slight_smile:

(Long live Light Power!!!)
[/quote]

Please, let us not confuse the accomplishments of a diety to those of mere mortals. By the way, he changed his name.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Please, let us not confuse the accomplishments of a diety to those of mere mortals. By the way, he changed his name.[/quote]

Your right. Hopefully he doesn’t banish me to Hades :slight_smile:

Oh, by the way, that routine that you wrote sounds killer. I might have to try something like that one day.

I remember reading in GASP Flex magazine that Benny Podilla(sp?) (one crazy mofo)used to have midnight squat parties. He and some other guys (Mike Metzner included) would start squatting around midnight, then around 6 o’clock or so, would go out to eat. Thats all they did was squat.

Too bad the gym around here that is open 24/7 doesn’t even have a squat rack (Only a Smith Machine).

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
…also like a jackhammer and I am NOTHING! [/quote]

You are nothing? Or did you mean you did the squats like nothing??

You are nothing? Or did you mean you did the squats like nothing??
[/quote]
I was pretty out of shape and only maxed 350 at the time!

Tom Platz probably could have done 500 for 100 reps if he trained for it and if it was on one of his CRAZY days!

And, they went up like nothing. On the third set, I actually tried to see if I could hold my breath for the whole set and got to 20 or 21 before I took a breath. In contrast, previously when I did 225 x 20, I probably took close to 100 total breaths.

Oh, by the way, that routine that you wrote sounds killer. I might have to try something like that one day.
[/quote]

By the way, if you have a place to do chins at home, it works great. One weekend of lots of triples with a challenging weight-or non as the case may be-and then go bang out 12-15.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
HouseOfAtlas wrote:

By the way, if you have a place to do chins at home, it works great. One weekend of lots of triples with a challenging weight-or non as the case may be-and then go bang out 12-15.
[/quote]

When you mean weekend (also, you mentioned it for squats), when did you do them? Did you do a couple of sets at the top of the hour, every hour?? Or…??

mertdawg wrote:
HouseOfAtlas wrote:

When you mean weekend (also, you mentioned it for squats), when did you do them? Did you do a couple of sets at the top of the hour, every hour?? Or…??
[/quote]

It was one of those weird experiences. On friday afternoon I went in at 5:00 and pushed out 10 x 3 with 315. It was hard at the time, but each set almost got easier than the last. I left it on the rack, went in, ate a lot and took a nap until about 9:00 PM and for some reason decided to go back out to the garage and do it again 10 x 3. Then I ate, went to bed but woke up around 1:00 AM and went out and did 5 x 3. Up at about 9:00 AM on Saturday 5 x 3, again at 3:00 PM and once more around 7:00 PM 5 x 3, Then woke up at 6:00 am on Sunday and 5 x 3 and again at noon 5 x 3. The next day I was also off, and I slept real late, maybe till 11:30 AM. I remember it was a three day weekend. I went to my old college “fitness center” which was open for spring break and put 225 on. At that point I just cranked out 25 reps in about 60 seconds and all squats deep (same with all the 315s that weekend to be sure) I only stopped because I had never done this before and was almost shocked. I started to feel it after about a minute, and stretched my quads for 5 minutes, then did it again, and again 2 more times for 100 reps.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
On the third set, I actually tried to see if I could hold my breath for the whole set and got to 20 or 21 before I took a breath. [/quote]

Gee, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Glad you didn’t pass out, or maybe we’d see you on the “has anyone died squatting” thread.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
It was one of those weird experiences. On friday afternoon I went in at 5:00 and pushed out 10 x 3 with 315. It was hard at the time, but each set almost got easier than the last. I left it on the rack, went in, ate a lot and took a nap until about 9:00 PM and for some reason decided to go back out to the garage and do it again 10 x 3. Then I ate, went to bed but woke up around 1:00 AM and went out and did 5 x 3. Up at about 9:00 AM on Saturday 5 x 3, again at 3:00 PM and once more around 7:00 PM 5 x 3, Then woke up at 6:00 am on Sunday and 5 x 3 and again at noon 5 x 3. The next day I was also off, and I slept real late, maybe till 11:30 AM. I remember it was a three day weekend. I went to my old college “fitness center” which was open for spring break and put 225 on. At that point I just cranked out 25 reps in about 60 seconds and all squats deep (same with all the 315s that weekend to be sure) I only stopped because I had never done this before and was almost shocked. I started to feel it after about a minute, and stretched my quads for 5 minutes, then did it again, and again 2 more times for 100 reps.
[/quote]

Thats nuts. Thanks for sharing that with us :slight_smile:

I would like to see video from one of you naysayers, besting this feat.

mertdawg wrote:
Please, let us not confuse the accomplishments of a diety to those of mere mortals. By the way, he changed his name.

Your right. Hopefully he doesn’t banish me to Hades :slight_smile:

I remember reading in GASP Flex magazine that Benny Podilla(sp?) (one crazy mofo)used to have midnight squat parties. He and some other guys (Mike Metzner included) would start squatting around midnight, then around 6 o’clock or so, would go out to eat. Thats all they did was squat.

I would tell them:

GET A GIRLFRIEND!

[quote]wtf wrote:

[/quote]

It doesn’t fit in with my goals to squat 225 x 100, but if you wanted to post a reasonable cash reward, I’ll go for it. I believe I could do it within a month. I don’t want to sabbotogue my current program. Without a reward (say $500) I wouldn’t go for it untill maybe the end of the summer, but if you send me a reminder then, it might fit into my plans better.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
wtf wrote:

It doesn’t fit in with my goals to squat 225 x 100, but if you wanted to post a reasonable cash reward, I’ll go for it. I believe I could do it within a month. I don’t want to sabbotogue my current program. Without a reward (say $500) I wouldn’t go for it untill maybe the end of the summer, but if you send me a reminder then, it might fit into my plans better.
[/quote]

I’m willing to go as high as seven bucks, cash money.

[quote]wtf wrote:
I’m willing to go as high as seven bucks, cash money.[/quote]

OK for seven bucks. I have 9 weeks left in my program. That will bring me up to the summer. I will need the off time bacause it will involve some short planned 2 or 3 workout a day periods. I will do 225 x 100 by september 1st. Now, can you tell me what’t the best way to post a video clip of it?

Well, Arnold and a friend did the same thing, only they also brought girls and had lots of sex with them.

[quote]miniross wrote:
HouseOfAtlas wrote:
mertdawg wrote:

I would tell them:

GET A GIRLFRIEND![/quote]