21 YO, Low T, High Prolactin

Height: 69 inches
Weight: 181
BF: 11%
Waist: 32
Body and Facial Hair: Receding hair line in the past year, very hairy everywhere else. Dark hair.
Carry Fat and Where: Mostly in my love handles
RX and OTC Drugs: None
Area: Vancouver, Washington

Lab Results so far (LabCorp):
Taken at 9:00 in the morning
TT: 488 Range: 348 - 1197
FT: 9.0 Range: 9.3 - 26.5
TSH: 3.11 Range: 0.50 - 6.00
HDL: 74 Range: 23 - 92
cLDL: 114 Range <100
Total Cholesterol: 197 Range: <200
Triglycerides: 43 Range: <150
AST: 74 Range: 13 - 39 Note: Workout everyday so I understand why this was high
ALT: 77 Range: 7 - 52
Creatinine: 1.4
LH: 3.1 Range: 1.7 - 8.6
FSH: 3.7 Range: 1.5 - 12.4
Prolactin: 20.5 Range: 4.0 - 15.2
Temperatures in morning (3 separate days) : 97.7
Temperatures in afternoon (3 separate days) : 98.5
Potassium: 4 Range: 3.5 - 5.1
Creatinine: 1.25 Range: 0.60 - 1.30
Albumin: 4.7 Range: 3.5 - 5.7
Total Bilirubin: 0.5 Range: 0.3 - 1.0
Chloride: 100 Range: 98 - 107
Alkaline Phosphatase: 70 Range: 34 - 104
Sodium: 138 Range: 136 - 145
Blood Urea Nitrogen: 24 Range: 7 - 25
Total Protein: 6.9 Range: 6.4 - 8.9
CO2: 29 Range: 21 - 31
Calcium: 9.6 Range: 8.6 - 10.3

Diet usually consists of about 40% carbs, 25% protein and 35% healthy fats. My next move is to get an MRI of the pituitary gland. Workout 5-6 days a week. Eating plenty of calories, 4100 to be exact. Hard to gain muscle it seems like. I’ve read treatment for high prolactin is taking Cabergoline. Has anyone tried this before? This is my new thread from the old one that had my picture in it. I take about 10000iu Vitamin D everyday and about 25mg DHEA everyday just cause. I also take a multivitamin everyday that has 150mcg of Iodine in it and I’ve been taking it for the last 4 years.

No, I don’t take any drugs. My TSH was 3.11 and I didn’t get my fT3 or fT4 tested. Thanks for that link though. And I will think about scrapping the multivitamin, I eat pretty healthy so it might not be a bad idea. But then it seems necessary to get some vitamins separately to fill gaps. Like zinc, magnesium, and important minerals that aren’t bad in excess.

Focus on thyroid and get more labs. Try iodine replenishment and see if you feel better. If not, test thyroid anti-bodies.

Yes, caber works and some here are using it. You can search for caber here and find posts that are not from me. Prolactin may be why your LH/FSH are low.

TSH might be high compensating for rT3 which may be a result of over-training.

So now all vitamins are evil and everyone should stop taking them. Your diet might not have the trace elements that a good multi-vit provides. Really don’t need overly broad generalizations.

OK. I will get an iodine supplement and try to get .75g into my body over the course of a few weeks. I will try to ask my doctor for thyroid labs, but I just feel like once they say it’s not necessary, then its hard to argue with them.

I’ve also decided to stop training so much until I figure out what is wrong. Might be a good idea.

And so you think a multivitamin is good or bad? Do you take one?

So can anyone tell me where to buy Iodoral? or any other good iodine supplement?

Iodoral is out of stock nearly everywhere and is been “scalped” on amazon.

Try this: amazon.com/J-CROWS®-Lugols-Solution-Iodine-2oz/dp/B001AEFM9Y

I ended up ordering RLC Labs Ithroid. It has the same ingredients as Iodoral. I got it off amazon.

I do have a question though. Since my temperatures were normal, do you see any point to go through with IR? It’s not like I will be able to tell if I had ID because my temperatures can only improve slightly in the morning. So do you think I should do IR or just supplement with 12.5mg Iodine everyday?

Well my Urologist sees no point in doing a pituitary MRI. He only wants to put me on TRT and I don’t know what the cause is yet. I guess it is time to find a new one. I don’t want to do TRT unless I have to.

Another question: Should I try IR and then have my TSH, fT3 and fT4 tested, if my doctor will do those tests for me?

Kind of an update. Today I started taking 25mg of Iodine and will continue until I reach .75g. I also have an MRI tomorrow so we will see if that reveals anything. I’m just wondering if I don’t have prolactanoma, then what next should I be looking for?

With IR you are looking to see if it makes you feel better and starts to bring down TSH. Iodine has other roles in the body that are probably important, but not understood.

Urologists are not endo’s or generalists. There is a finding a TRT doc sticky.

Be careful with that 25 mg dose. Large doses of Iodine can increase TSH if you don’t have the deficiency. It would probably be safer to cut the dose and watch your TSH as you go. You can get your TSH tested for $27 at Quest at Mill Plain and 87th if you go through Health-Tests-Direct.

health-tests-direct.com

That’s a good deal! Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting it tested in a few days just to if anything happens with my TSH levels. I was planning on basing my doses off that. Would that be the better way to do it?

Subscribed. I’m in a similar boat as you. Just ordered the i-Thyroid yesterday and getting MRI next week too to rule out Prolactinoma, though, my Prolactin is only at 11.

Good luck bro.

Yeah I’m not really feeling any different but it has only been 3 days so I’ve consumed 75mg of iodine. I don’t think I’m shedding any bromine because I don’t stink and my mouth doesn’t taste metallicy. But I will keep doing it until I get more thyroid blood tests done. Should have MRI results tomorrow.
Thanks though! Good luck to you to.

Keep an eye on your bowel movements too as the iodine will impact the levels of the natural bacterial ecosystem in your gut. I’m curious as to how fast or if that will show up within the two weeks when I start it.

Well my MRI looked normal. If I do have a growth, it is very small. I’m going to schedule an appointment with an end today. I’m up at 150mg of Iodine and really don’t feel any different. My bowel movements are also normal, just once everyday in the morning. I do take a probiotic supplement when I go to bed so that could be why the Iodine isn’t messing my system up. I take 25mg Iodine in the morning with breakfast.

I’m kind of left wondering why my testosterone is low and FSH/LH is low.

What could an endo tell me that I don’t already know?

No new information, but I’m going to be getting SHBG and E2 tested on Friday, and doctor wants to try Clomid. I’ve been reading some people experience side effects and some do not. Obviously with higher T levels, E2 will go up.

So my question is this:
Do I try Clomid with an AI right from the get go or should I tell my doctor I want Nolvadex? And also, what are the costs that most people experience paying for these? I know Nolvadex is more expensive, but by how much?

Don’t use an AI unless your blood tests show E2 spiking. You might not need it.

If your T level is at the top of the range from the clomid, E2 could raise with it. You might want to see if cutting the clomid dose helps high E2 before adding the AI.

Ok but it seems E2 will raise no matter what and wouldn’t it be smart to keep that under control with the same exact dose of clomid EOD?

Do you have any knowledge of Nolvadex? It seems that it has all the properties of Clomid but without the pro-estrogenic side effects.

Yes it’s best to try to keep E2 under control with a steady clomid dose once you get the dose dialed in.

I don’t know much about Nolvadex, but it doesn’t work as well as clomid for me. I’ve had my highest T levels while combining 10 mg Nolvadex and 25mg of clomid ED. Younger guys respond better to SERMs so the Nolvadex might be best for you. It might be hard to find a doctor to prescribe it though.