T Nation

21 y/o Test: 45 ng/dL

Height: 5'10
Weight: 160 lb

Lab results: When I originally started really noticing problems I got blood work done and came in around 160 [300-1200 range], and hovered around here. I went up into the mid 200's for a while fluctuating and have recently at a bottom at 45 ng/dL [300-1200]. I realize this is very low for 21. I have no sex drive and can not even maintain an erection.

• I have a normal body and some patchy facial hair. However, I work out regularly 3-4 times a week with a healthy diet. but continue to lose strength fairly quickly while gaining weight.
  • I carry my fat in my stomach and thighs. I have done a lot to mitigate this, but it is increasing to a degree despite training.

Symptoms:
Absolutely no sex drive
ED
Poor recovery
Gaining fat while losing muscle

Diet:
I try to eat around 200 calories over my maintenance most days trying to combat muscle loss. Generally eat whole foods, fruits, vegetables, about 1g protein/lb.

Training:
I generally train 3-4x per week for an hour. Alternate upper/lower

• No morning wood. Can not have sex at all without medication.

I have tried to start up with HcG but it was completely ineffective. I have seen several doctors including an endocrinologist. My MRI came up fine and they were not able to find the source of my problem. I am scared to start TRT at my age, but I feel that I need it.

Advice would be appreciated.

Some more info:

I have extremely low FSH. However, I got an MRI of my brain and pituitary and it was fine. The endocrinologist did not know what to make of it and asked if I had done steroids (I have not done steroids or taken any supplement or prescription drug. I have not been exposed to strange environments or ingested anything odd.)

She suggested I wait it out and see. I have been experiencing symptoms for half a year.

I have taken extensive tests for thyroid multiple times and it was normal.
I have taken other tests and everything seemed fine.
I have never had a strange or restrictive diet. I supplement with vitamin D3, Zinc, and Fish oil since having these problems.

well if it helps you any, i had this problem since i was about 16. i am 31 now and only have they discovered what you know at your age. until 16 i had normal erections, but after that, i never got morning wood except on a few rare occasions. all of my adult life i have been using ED drugs, which have always worked for me. 45 is definitely depleted, not that 200 isn’t (that’s where i am).

my advice is start the TRT, without it you will never have a normal life. have you even tried Clomid yet? its what the doctor perscribed me, if you search on here you’ll find others who use it too. its a first resort drug for secondary hypogonadasm. i have taken it for the past two months and it has helped in terms of strength but no improvement yet in ED.

have you had a karotype test done? this can rule out genetic conditions that cause our symptoms. i myself have not yet had one, hoping to get it done in september when i may also start TRT therapy depending if Clomid is more effective by then.

by only concern about trt is that it can cause fertility problems, but they can take sperm and put it in a sperm bank. the way i see it, those health risks are there either way (with trt or with low t). i would rather take my chances on TRT, life has become terrible with this condition and there is no hope without TRT.

[quote]lowtee wrote:
Some more info:

I have extremely low FSH. However, I got an MRI of my brain and pituitary and it was fine. The endocrinologist did not know what to make of it and asked if I had done steroids (I have not done steroids or taken any supplement or prescription drug. I have not been exposed to strange environments or ingested anything odd.)

She suggested I wait it out and see. I have been experiencing symptoms for half a year.

I have taken extensive tests for thyroid multiple times and it was normal.
I have taken other tests and everything seemed fine.
I have never had a strange or restrictive diet. I supplement with vitamin D3, Zinc, and Fish oil since having these problems.
[/quote]

I would never accept a doctor again telling me that my ranges are normal. Make sure you acquire a copy of the bloodwork yourself. I had docs tell me that 200 T was “perfectly fine” despite this fitting the category of hypogonadism and being highly unusual for someone of any age (let alone late 20s).

Low FSH and LH are a symptom from what I understand of a faulty pituitory axis. From what I understand, this means the chances of your condition being secondary (not primary) hypogonadism are likely.

As for the TSH Thyroid, again, they told me that 4.5 was normal- but anything over 3 is considered underactive and on path to thyroid disease.

It seems your problem is related to the pituitory axis. We have almost identical symptoms. Have you had ED your whole life? Did you ever have successful erectile function?

Yes, I have always been perfectly fine until this just suddenly started happening this year. I have had no development issues and have had strong erection strength. My LH is fine but my FSH is the only one extremely low. I have not tried Clomid but I have tried Hcg.

I have seen the blood work myself, and things do seem normal. I don’t experience any other thyroid symptoms. My temperatures are normal, my metabolism is normal, and again I don’t see the symptoms.

[quote]lowtee wrote:
Yes, I have always been perfectly fine until this just suddenly started happening this year. I have had no development issues and have had strong erection strength. My LH is fine but my FSH is the only one extremely low. I have not tried Clomid but I have tried Hcg.

I have seen the blood work myself, and things do seem normal. I don’t experience any other thyroid symptoms. My temperatures are normal, my metabolism is normal, and again I don’t see the symptoms.[/quote]

Well the symptoms are no erections and no muscle gain now.

What do you think it could be?

The endocrinologist did not know what it could be. I just know my T levels are low. I am probably going to start TRT since HCG was ineffective.

[quote]lowtee wrote:
The endocrinologist did not know what it could be. I just know my T levels are low. I am probably going to start TRT since HCG was ineffective.[/quote]

Maybe you can find a skilled urologist who knows a little bit more.

That is not very indepth, they need to do more searching for the root cause.

[quote]lowtee wrote:
Height: 5’10
Weight: 160 lb

Lab results: When I originally started really noticing problems I got blood work done and came in around 160 [300-1200 range], and hovered around here. I went up into the mid 200’s for a while fluctuating and have recently at a bottom at 45 ng/dL [300-1200]. I realize this is very low for 21. I have no sex drive and can not even maintain an erection.

• I have a normal body and some patchy facial hair. However, I work out regularly 3-4 times a week with a healthy diet. but continue to lose strength fairly quickly while gaining weight.
  • I carry my fat in my stomach and thighs. I have done a lot to mitigate this, but it is increasing to a degree despite training.

Symptoms:
Absolutely no sex drive
ED
Poor recovery
Gaining fat while losing muscle

Diet:
I try to eat around 200 calories over my maintenance most days trying to combat muscle loss. Generally eat whole foods, fruits, vegetables, about 1g protein/lb.

Training:
I generally train 3-4x per week for an hour. Alternate upper/lower

• No morning wood. Can not have sex at all without medication.

I have tried to start up with HcG but it was completely ineffective. I have seen several doctors including an endocrinologist. My MRI came up fine and they were not able to find the source of my problem. I am scared to start TRT at my age, but I feel that I need it.

Advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Exactly how vast tests did they take and could you post all of them please?