21 Y/O Male - Advice Needed

[quote]dt79 wrote:

And it’s funny how these self-professed sensitive, deep thinking types are usually the ones passing the most superficial judgements on others.[/quote]

In many cases men like him start becoming resentful towards the world, especially when they have what he needs: a woman. But he will not get or keep one if he remain the way he is.

[quote]dave670 wrote:
Sorry folks. I’ve come to the inescapable conclusion that I just suck. I’m sorry for having wasted your time. I can’t explain the way I feel, and the consensus seems to be that I am wrong anyway; as I am told this 8 hours a day already, it does not come as a surprise.

Peace out. [/quote]

seems like a reasonable conclusion

actually, that was mean. Sorry

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

And it’s funny how these self-professed sensitive, deep thinking types are usually the ones passing the most superficial judgements on others.[/quote]

In many cases men like him start becoming resentful towards the world, especially when they have what he needs: a woman. But he will not get or keep one if he remain the way he is. [/quote]

Depression in men often looks like anger. Women are more likely to be weepy, cry and look sad. Men often get MAD. Even anxiety will often look less like scared and fearful and more like pissed off in men.

With anxiety, people often recognize that their thoughts are irrational, but they still have a hard time getting their body to turn off the physical anxiety response. In my experience with depression, people are less likely to realize that their sad/angry thought patterns are irrational. So the “attitude” seems justified. They they will selectively find things that reinforce that. Like talking to a bunch of muscle-heads online and only focusing on people who’s comments make you feel bad.

These dark, skewed thoughts dig a grove, so you tend to circle around those same maladaptive ideas. It becomes sort of a feedback loop, where the messed up thought patterns reinforce the negative emotion. Sitting in your room writing angry poetry, or listening to depressing garbage will just help reinforce that grove. Sometimes people assume it’s good to release your anger and you’ll get a cathartic effect but research has shown that that usually isn’t the case. Get it off your chest if you need to, but don’t dwell on it. It’s far more productive to just start doing positive things, and trying to think more positive thoughts. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be really helpful in getting people to break the negative patterns.

Our guy is depressed here. When Brick was talking about his younger self having tunnel vision, and thoughts and perceptions that weren’t accurate, that’s exactly what this is. And that’s why he seems “stubborn” about focusing in on the negative, or focusing on things he CAN’T change even though there are so many things that he CAN do. He’s not an arrogant jerk. Right now he’s an angry/depressed jerk. :slight_smile: It’s hopeful because this stuff is really common, and can be changed. People come out of this crap all the time.

Yes, I get to play arm-chair psychologist. :slight_smile:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]dave670 wrote:

Why should they care about sweet poetry when they can have a massive, hard guy who has a stable job at the top of the fucking ladder?

Listen to that and tell how much of that isn’t true. [/quote]

That is a twisted, foul, depressing piece of crap. Synopsis: Either you can kill yourself, or create a fake identity as a hardened, callous construction worker-type because chicks don’t like nice men? This crap is poison. Putting it up there makes me think you just wanted to troll men who you hoped to find were all fake, muscular bullies. Or maybe you’re just disappointed that your construction job hasn’t turned you into a big muscular guy who can manipulate women? Either way, this pseudo-intellectual “deep” poetry is not going to help. Stay away from this kind of dark, twisted garbage. [/quote]
Spot on.

Thanks, but I feel a little bad about my rant.

When the OP said “Listen to that and tell me how much of that isn’t true,” I should have said… None of it. You found another guy who’s writing suicidal/depressing poetry that you relate to, and so it confirms your belief that your thinking is rational. No. What really happened is you found another depressed, angry, unhappy person out there. Yep, you’re not the only one.

This is what happens when unhappy, lonely men go to those forums where they talk like misogynists. Finding other people who think like you, makes you think you’re perceptions of the situation are reality. “This must be true. Look, there are 20 other unhappy people on the internet who share my ideas!”

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

In many cases men like him start becoming resentful towards the world, especially when they have what he needs: a woman. But he will not get or keep one if he remain the way he is. [/quote]

Depression in men often looks like anger. Women are more likely to be weepy, cry and look sad. Men often get MAD. Even anxiety will often look less like scared and fearful and more like pissed off in men.

With anxiety, people often recognize that their thoughts are irrational, but they still have a hard time getting their body to turn off the physical anxiety response. In my experience with depression, people are less likely to realize that their sad/angry thought patterns are irrational. So the “attitude” seems justified. They they will selectively find things that reinforce that. Like talking to a bunch of muscle-heads online and only focusing on people who’s comments make you feel bad.

These dark, skewed thoughts dig a grove, so you tend to circle around those same maladaptive ideas. It becomes sort of a feedback loop, where the messed up thought patterns reinforce the negative emotion. Sitting in your room writing angry poetry, or listening to depressing garbage will just help reinforce that grove. Sometimes people assume it’s good to release your anger and you’ll get a cathartic effect but research has shown that that usually isn’t the case. Get it off your chest if you need to, but don’t dwell on it. It’s far more productive to just start doing positive things, and trying to think more positive thoughts. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be really helpful in getting people to break the negative patterns.

Our guy is depressed here. When Brick was talking about his younger self having tunnel vision, and thoughts and perceptions that weren’t accurate, that’s exactly what this is. And that’s why he seems “stubborn” about focusing in on the negative, or focusing on things he CAN’T change even though there are so many things that he CAN do. He’s not an arrogant jerk. Right now he’s an angry/depressed jerk. :slight_smile: It’s hopeful because this stuff is really common, and can be changed. People come out of this crap all the time.

Yes, I get to play arm-chair psychologist. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Our guy is also a pothead. That’s all we really know. The rest are all assumptions based on his erratic ramblings in between moments of clarity.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
As a boorish brute I am relieved that this dave twat doesn’t count himself among my ranks.
[/quote]

At least you have an artist’s eye for appliances. You got the red coffee maker, right?[/quote]
Nope. My old one just wont die. I did get the matching red grinder though!
Then theres my boorish metal working skills. I just trimmed out a set in brass for your favorite cathedral.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Depression in men often looks like anger…

Our guy is also a pothead. That’s all we really know. The rest are all assumptions based on his erratic ramblings in between moments of clarity.[/quote]

True. My second best guess is this is really a 35-year-old feminist writing a book about body shaming. You guys were supposed to attack him/her for not being swole. That’s how the internet works.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Our guy is also a pothead. That’s all we really know. The rest are all assumptions based on his erratic ramblings in between moments of clarity.[/quote]

True. My second best guess is this is really a 35-year-old feminist writing a book about body shaming. You guys were supposed to attack him/her for not being swole. That’s how the internet works.
[/quote]
Really? I thought Nick Cave got bored and came to troll us.

Seriously though, you don’t think much of the tunnel vision and irrationality is due to being high sometimes when he posts?

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]

Seriously though, you don’t think much of the tunnel vision and irrationality is due to being high sometimes when he posts?[/quote]

Had to look up Nick Cave. Very dark, tortured artist guy. I can see it.

@ tunnel vision - Pot allows you to cut through all the bullshit and see the world as it really is. I can’t believe you don’t know that. :wink: No, it’s possible. I was thinking having the munchies might actually help with his gainz. Glass half full over here. :slight_smile:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
As a boorish brute I am relieved that this dave twat doesn’t count himself among my ranks.
[/quote]

At least you have an artist’s eye for appliances. You got the red coffee maker, right?[/quote]
Nope. My old one just wont die. I did get the matching red grinder though!
Then theres my boorish metal working skills. I just trimmed out a set in brass for your favorite cathedral.[/quote]

You worker guys, always bragging about your “brass sets.” So boorish of you. And I’m sure your cathedral is beautiful, but you’re probably too brutish to appreciate it.

Look what was waiting for me when I got home from work! INSULATED, and in my size!

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]

Seriously though, you don’t think much of the tunnel vision and irrationality is due to being high sometimes when he posts?[/quote]

Had to look up Nick Cave. Very dark, tortured artist guy. I can see it.

@ tunnel vision - Pot allows you to cut through all the bullshit and see the way the world as it really is. I can’t believe you don’t know that. :wink: No, it’s possible. I was thinking having the munchies might actually help with his gainz. Glass half full over here. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Lol!

Nick Cave’s not that bad. Just the “darkest” dude I could think of hahaha.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Look what was waiting for me when I got home from work! INSULATED, and in my size![/quote]

You should return them to the store and demand NON-insulated gloves. After all, you’re a T-Nationeer, a naturalized citizen of the world’s largest hardcore training site.

Da las’ t’ing in da werld ye kneed is that there insulation. Buck up, sister!
[/quote]

For your information, PAL, I already HAVE uninsulated gloves and wear them. Some of them (like maybe one pair) I’ve worn clean OUT.

Maybe you have a fancy cab on your tractor, and a high falutin’ FM radio, but MINE is right out in the elements. We can’t all live our lives inside cozy heated spaces like you!

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Look what was waiting for me when I got home from work! INSULATED, and in my size![/quote]

You should return them to the store and demand NON-insulated gloves. After all, you’re a T-Nationeer, a naturalized citizen of the world’s largest hardcore training site.

[/quote]

For your information, PAL, I already HAVE uninsulated gloves and wear them. Some of them (like maybe one pair) I’ve worn clean OUT.

Maybe you have a fancy cab on your tractor, and a high falutin’ FM radio, but MINE is right out in the elements. We can’t all live our lives inside cozy heated spaces like you![/quote]

Ha, little lady! I used to feed round bales to cattle on the ranch in eastern Montana with a 1930-something John Deere “A” tractor. No cab. No power steering. Damn row crop front axle. Round bale grapple fork on front.

I remember -35F temperatures with 60 mph winds that pushed the wind chill below -100F in complete whiteout conditions. I did wear insulated gloves THEN. And had to run the tractor in reverse when going against the wind because your eyes’d freeze shut (we were too tough to wear goggles…I bet you wear goggles, doncha?).

Edit: No, the pic is not of the one I used to operate. Ours didn’t look near that good.[/quote]

WELL, here is a picture of a 1947 Ford tractor, which is what I believe Hockey currently uses to mow his fields and do other various and sundry, which I’m sure includes doing -35F things as they are very common where I live. I chose this picture because the others were all much nicer looking than the one I’ve seen in the lean-to out there. His may look just a little better, because he likes to take good care of his things.

While I have not YET driven it backwards in -100F wind chills, I am sure that I soon will. Let us all remember that I fractured my elbow winter-before-last attempting to boorishly, brutishly improve my ice skating skills so as to join a league that would allow me to whack people with sticks without getting arrested for it. Now that I’m recovered, I’m certain I’ll be spending more time on all tractors. As for goggles, I have my librarian glasses - those will do just fine.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe you have a fancy cab on your tractor, and a high falutin’ FM radio, but MINE is right out in the elements. We can’t all live our lives inside cozy heated spaces like you![/quote]

Ha, little lady! I used to feed round bales to cattle on the ranch in eastern Montana with a 1930-something John Deere “A” tractor. No cab. No power steering. Damn row crop front axle. Round bale grapple fork on front.

I remember -35F temperatures with 60 mph winds that pushed the wind chill below -100F in complete whiteout conditions. I did wear insulated gloves THEN. And had to run the tractor in reverse when going against the wind because your eyes’d freeze shut (we were too tough to wear goggles…I bet you wear goggles, doncha?).

Edit: No, the pic is not of the one I used to operate. Ours didn’t look near that good.[/quote]
My wifes grandfather has one of those- a '36 if i’m not mistaken ( and I very much may be). They restored it to mint condition and it runs like a champ.