Here’s how I think Beto compares to 2007 Obama…
- Both are young by presidential candidate standards.
- Both have limited political experience - just a handful of years in congress (which is both good and bad).
- Both are relative newcomers to the national stage.
- Both are very good public speakers.
- Both are relatively moderate.
- Both possess a likeability/charisma that will definitely draw supporters. This is the “it” factor that draws you in makes you want to listen to their message. Who else in the democratic field has it?
I think 2007 Obama had more charisma, was a more inspiring public speaker and had an air of competence about him that Beto can’t match, which is why I called Beto Obama Lite.
Obama of course had his minority status going for/against him, depending on who you ask. This may be a controversial opinion, but I think a lot of people turned out to vote because they wanted to the nations first black president. Beto doesn’t have that going for him, which is why I think he needs someone like Kamala Harris to help reform that Obama coalition that Hillary couldn’t.