2020 Presidential Debates

I don’t disagree…but this was like no debate I’ve ever watched :sweat_smile:

Well that was a hot mess!

1 Like

I’m 15mins in and Trump already managed to goad Biden into outright “clarifying” his position in the Dems by declaring, “I am the Democratic Party right now.”, which implies 2 things:

1. He’s acknowledging that even his own supporters have the perception he’s not really in charge.

2. He’s a would-be dictator to Trump supporters.

Obviously these are not what I think but seriously, no matter what you think of Trump, he’s really good at this.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, it gets worse :joy:

3 Likes

I’m hoping so lol. I need some entertainment right now.

2 Likes

Yeah Biden a bit better than expected. IMO Biden got a bit rattled toward the end when Trump dropped some facts on Hunter.
Look at his head drop when he goes “discharged for coKKaine use!”…

I feel like that was a low fucking blow. I’m still of the school that says leave the family out of it.

I am happy with how Biden handled it, by saying “yeah, my son’s had problems but I’m proud of him for fighting them”.

Its no secret I really dislike Trump so it’s probably expected… but that’s just a low blow to me.

1 Like

Totally, and it has no place in a presidential debate.

It was clear from the outset Trump was worried about Biden - having tried the “low expectations” strategy to paint Biden as a drooling idiot who couldn’t talk or stand up for 90 mins (remarkably stupid strategy), he had to do something to stop the steady train of “normal” coming out of Biden all night. So he shit the bed by bullying, interrupting, personal attacks, etc. the whole night.

In one sense, it was his only option. But, like all of his other strategies, it failed miserably.

1 Like

One other mistake Trump made (raised by David Frum) - the only way these debates help Trump is if people tune in to watch. After this shit show, assuming they don’t cancel the other ones, who is tuning in? How many people are one and done on the debates because they don’t want to trash the Trump is turning them into?

He hurt himself last night in many ways, but this might be the worst.

For a guy who is behind in the polls you would have thought he would have had some type of debate strategy. But no, we got the same old rambling attacking trump going through his medley of greatest hits that’s his base loves. He just doesn’t get it that he will need more than his base to win .
I felt embarrassed as an American watching that shit!

1 Like

That debate reminded me of Twitter and why I’m not on Twitter. An Alien Replicon takeover seems like a more and more plausible explanation for all of this.

3 Likes

Trump is really lazy. Strategy would require preparation which is work. We’re talking about a President who has no intellectual curiosity (because he already knows everything), probably hasn’t read a full book in decades, is known for not reading reports, and who watches Fox News and tweets a whole bunch.

2 Likes

He shunned debate prep. I posted an article earlier about how he was basically refusing to prep and was going to wing it, relying on his “brawling instincts” or something. It was a terrible idea.

Damn. I didn’t think about it but that’s basically exactly what it felt like. Honestly at this point I feel more and more like Nard’s profile pic of Rowdy Piper in those infamous X ray sunglasses is a reasonable explanation…

1 Like

The results of the CBS debate poll line up with 538s national presidential poll.

Only a couple percentage points different. For some reason both polls don’t add up to 100 :thinking:

Probably not too many minds changed. It doesn’t take too many though to change the results of a swing state.

One thing I noticed that was actually pretty cleaver on Trumps part was attacking Philly (lots of bad things happen there, or something to that effect). I was thinking what a stupid thing to say as I believe he really really needs Pennsylvania to win. After a moment, I realized that his Pennsylvania voters are probably mostly rural, and the ones that aren’t probably agree with him on Philly. Smart move IMO.

1 Like

That was the reason you gave. It wasn’t a ‘oh this is right’ concensus. I live near and travel to some pretty big cities here in FL and the local police/municipal bodies have made it clear they are not going to put up with any crap via several methods of PSA. Our dear governor has taken it a step further. You may not agree with his covid approach but his no-nonsense approach to ‘peaceful protesting’ is treasured by all I know.

There were riots in Republican run cities. The thing more common to the riots and looting was population density and demographics.

That is true, I however showed that the claim that the riots and looting are the fault of the democratic leadership is unsupported and just correlation until shown otherwise. If he wants to go and say a bunch of unproven things he can. I will just call him on it as he owns the burden of proof on that one.

Some of the more news worthy (and Democrat run) locations are not all that dense… IE Portland, Kenosha, etc

Density is relative. Compared to rural they are very dense. Portland not densely populated?

My point with the density and demographics was just to show that what he was saying is only correlation (the density and demographics is only correlation as well, and it correlates well with riots and looting). If I say I don’t buy it, he owns the burden of proof to show that he is right if he wants to convince me. I don’t think he can show he is right.

1 Like

4,740 people per square mile… Its a major city sure but I would stick with city’s like New York or even Minneapolis if my argurment were that it was based on population denisty. 4000-5000 people per sq mile isn’t all that high for a major city.

True. I am not interested in showing that it is density or demographics (I don’t think I could do it). This was sloppy on my part:

I should have just said lots of other possible explanations exists including density and demographics (which IMO is more believable, but I can’t prove it). By showing other possible explanations, it shows that his claim needs further proof before it is reasonable to believe. I should have stuck to that line of reasoning, but got hasty.