2020 NFL Thread

For the record, I think Jalen Hurts has a better NFL career than this Love kid.

Very curious to see who picks Hurts, and where he gets picked.

Well, hiring Joe Judge as the Giants’ coach yields the first “dividend” of sorts.

Giants pick Safety Xavier McKinney from Alabama (Judge’s 'Bama contacts also came into play here); correctly jumps in front of Belichik, who also picks a Safety with the next pick. McKinney has the experience/big school credentials, BB’s guy Dugger is an absolute athletic freak from a no name school. A direct comparison of these two picks can be made in a year or two, love it.

add: noticed Dugger is already 24 years old, hmmm…makes it fairly likely Judge stole BB’s pick LOL!!!

Damn I wanted the Cowboys to get McKinney.

Even after the Eagles grabbed him?

Well, Hurts is now blocked by Wentz (barring injury), he’ll need to take the Foles’ path to NFL relevance.

I guess I’ll go with Jordan Love being a flop then.

Speculation aside, I was happy Hurts didn’t fall into the Patriots’ laps. add: or the Redskins

I like Wentz and feel terrible for him, but Hurts is probably guaranteed playing time.

Turns out the GM Gettleman had a trade in place to move down (for the first time ever in his career), with McKinney the one player that he would pick at that spot if available. The Giants had a first round grade on McKinney.

The consensus of the analyst crowd is that Hurts plays the Taysom Hill role.

1 Like

I would love to see that. Taysom Hill has become my favorite player because he does everything.

I don’t think that he can be that productive at so many things like Hill.My thing is- if you want to invest heavily in one position…do it on quarterbacks(they know how important is to have a good back-up in Philly).They need some WRs there though.
Hill is a better athlete, big fan of him (btw he just got HUUUUGE money from the Saints !). A very exciting player to watch. They are about to sign Winston too somehow.

PS: Those photos of the Coaches are hilarious.Such a disparity :smiley:

In regards to Hill…Note that my Saints traded back into the draft to take Miss State QB Tommy Stevens near the end of the 7th round. (They had planned to sign him as a free agent, but decided that was too risky.) What’s that got to do with Hill? And why did they draft a QB when they also signed Jameis Winston to a one-year deal? Why on earth would a team carry four QBs? Allow me to speculate…

Stevens is a big (6’5"/240#), fast, dual-threat QB–very Hill-like. He was a grad-transfer from Penn State where, in addition to being the backup QB, he played some special teams and receiver. At Penn State, he worked with a coach named Joe Brady. Brady joined the Saints offensive staff a few years ago, and helped develop the package of plays that feature Hill. (Brady left the Saints to become passing-game coordinator for my LSU Tigers, and was instrumental in producing the offensive juggernaut that got them the natty. He is now the OC for the Panthers.) Winston turned down bigger money elsewhere to spend a Teddy Bridgewater year with the Saints.

Putting it all together:

It seems the Saints are going to employ two QB tracks this season: Their standard dropback passing attack featuring Brees (with Jameis Winston as backup), and a dual-threat, Lamar Jackson style offense featuring Hill, with Stevens as backup. (Not that either of those guys is on Jackson’s level, obv.) Should make for a very interesting year. Further, these moves suggest to me that, once the Brees era ends, Sean Payton is going all-in on the Jackson model.

3 Likes

Fun stuff! 6 weeks ago the ESPN guys were debating Load Management for Drew Brees. They were talking about Brees sitting out games. They must have heard some rumors or something. Some kind of Steve Spurrier, 2 QB rotation style could be way more fun to watch.

NFC South games will be Must Watch this season.

1 Like

$21 million for two years isn’t exactly a commitment to Taysom Hill. Hill wants to be a starting QB. I think Winston is the backup so they can keep using Hill. They reduced his playing time when Brees was injured because he was the only backup left.

This Stevens guy might be Hill’s replacement. He won’t be happy and will go somewhere else if he isn’t Brees’ successor.

Two years is odd if you think he’s going to be your starter. That only gives him one year assuming Brees retires after this season. It looks to me like Hill isn’t their future QB.

I listened to a couple of Colin Cowherd’s YT video blurbs (first time listener, apparently he’s “controversial” due to lack of PC, LOL), and he’s been making good points on Green Bay’s direction, or lack thereof.

Despite their 13-3 record from last year, Las Vegas has GB down for 8/9 wins this year. Similarly, Vegas had the same attitude towards Chicago after their “12-4, Matt Nagy is a genius” run… Cowherd pointed out that Tenn’s offense got better post LaFleur (along with the correct decision to bench Mariota of course); GB got super lucky with their schedule due to teams faced plus injuries to opponent QBs (Mahomes); also that Aaron Rodgers’ #s declined after LaFleur showed up (and will continue to do so lol).

Bottom line, I’d rather be a NY Giants fan than a GB fan right now, speaking truthfully. Didn’t think I’d be saying that for a while!!!

Cow Turd?! Forget him!

Is he better than Steven A?

I listened to Cowherd’s POV because he was criticizing GB w/o actually jumping down their throat for the Jordan Love pick, unlike all the other standard talking heads.

(as I’ve already stated, I think the Love pick will flop)

Trolling for New England BB worshippers…

Any one want to give me odds on the Giants having a better record than the Patriots this season???

On the flip side, I’ll give odds on Tampa having a better record than NE HAHAH!

He is not going to be a starting QB. Not in this league. He has thrown fewer passes than some WRs in the league. Out of the NO system, he can’t do so many things. When you have Brees, good running game, HoF receiver and Sean Payton you can have all the opportunities that you want

By the way, the Herbert guy can be really good. Everybody is saying that he is so far away from Tua and Burrow but who knows. I heard something about his OC not allowing him to run the last season which limited his game a lot.
My Ravens are going hard for those 508315803151 rushes per game. If the O-Line holds up they can be even more dangerous than last season.
Interested to see what happens with Stidham. Tampa is going to be so different next year. I liked their defense but the offense would look different. I don’t know if Brady can still push the ball downfield like Arians wants

He’s refusing to accept that. I guess good for him for being driven, but what’s wrong with being a utility badass?

Absolutely nothing. Actually that’s why i like him so much but to be that guy he can go only to very few team one of which is NO. It was a smart move to resign. Especially based on what he got. He is not going to be a QB but who cares

1 Like