T Nation

2018 NCAA Football

I have chance to stay in Az and maybe see your game. Unfortunately lack the cash flow.

Man, it’s going to be a great game despite the other narratives. Really want to see how Mack Jr does against that SEC Defense. Kid played lights out after that fumble ridden start. I also do not think the ‘motivation’ narrative of last year with Auburn will be at play. Greedy not playing, pride of a conference. A nation wanting to shut up the UCF Twitter Mafia. Can’t wait.

Also while I am not a Bama fan, Jalen Hurts is hard to root against. Great story for that kid.

Georgia is a top 4 team, but you should not be able to go to the dance as a 2 loss non conference champ. So many stories this year, not just UCF, but OSU etc. that should really drive some conversation about expanding the playoffs. I would love to see an 8 team payoff, Each P5 Champ, highest ranked G5 Champ(like with NY6 bowls) all get auto bid with 2 at large.

I am a Bama fan, but I can tell you that The Crimson Nation has no shortage of excuses when they lose.

I watched them get destroyed by Utah in the Sugar Bowl at my Uncle’s house 10 years ago. He asked if TCU played Utah and I told him that they beat us by 3 after we missed 2 short field goals. He was not amused. They said that they were not motivated. Ole Miss had the same excuse TCU beat them 42 -3 in the 2014 Peach Bowl.

Either you show up to play or you don’t.

Yup. Been saying this for years. Either give me that, or give me 16 teams with all conference champs invited and just enough at-larges to round it off at 16 (imagine Appalachian State vs Alabama in round 1; sure, we’d see some lopsided scores, but the close games would give the same excitement as when you check the scores during Day 1 of the basketball tourney and see that a 14 seed is leading a 3 seed with the second half underway).

I honestly prefer the eight-team, all-Power-5-champs-plus-the-highest-ranked-non-Power-5-team-plus-at-larges structure.

I would still get very sick of hearing P5 runners-up complain about how much tougher their conference is and how unfair it is that (UCF / Boise State / Appalachian State) was “allowed” into the playoff when (LSU / Auburn / Michigan) didn’t make it because they played in a tougher conference and that there’s just no justice in the world (choke on the irony: the current system keeping a UCF team on a 25-game winning streak that also beat an SEC team in last year’s bowl game out of the playoff, and Georgia fans are the one who feel screwed).

The point of the CFP is to determine a national champion. The first step to being the best team in the country ought to be winning your conference. I don’t care if some conferences are harder than others. If you want to win the national title, win your goddamn conference first.

And make Notre Dame join a conference.

The entire purpose of conferences mostly boils down to resources and money. Idenpendants are as such because they do not need it. ND has its own TV contracts and does not need affliliation as they are essentially an ACC team. Conference championships are arbitrary and meaningless. Just ask Alabama and the CFP committee last year