2018 IBJJF Masters World Championships Start Wednesday

Since there seems to be more than a few jiu-jitsu guys here in the Forums, I wanted to post a reminder that the Masters World Championships are starting this week. We’ve got a bunch of guys competing from our school. There’s great live coverage on FloGrappling for those who subscribe (and just about everybody who’s really into jiu-jitsu should consider it).

Master 1 (30-34 yrs old I think) competes on Wednesday. I like seeing all the age groups, but Master 1 is understandably features a number of huge attractions.

1 Like

It’s nice to see “older” guys compete but I just can’t understand how 30-34 is considered Master when you have 40 year olds winning UFC titles. It would make sense to me if BJJ wasn’t, at the highest competition levels, a professional sport.

1 Like

They can compete in mens open if they want.

Many of them probably are just competing for the sake of staying active. A lot of them compete in open or at least have recently.

Also the IBJJF loves having 100 different classes. Makes them more dollars. The number of people I know (mostly girls) who take up bjj and are blue belts in something like three months and post pics of their bronze medal at their local comp is way too high. Bronze medal in a bracket of 5 people total and now their a submission master. I guess I am just a hater.

That’s the other thing. There is a big difference between a 30 year old hobbyist and Xande Ribeiro, Andre Galvao or Braulio Estima (who are actually older than the Masters 1). Leandro Lo and Rafa Mendes are a year away from being able to compete in Masters 1.

1 Like

This pass is very popular at the tournament today. Saw a lot of it being used at the Mundials earlier this year also, especially with larger grapplers. Saw both a teammate and a former teammate get their guards passed today with this one.

1 Like

My instructor’s wife, Professor Sylvia Mondelli, won the women’s Featherweight Gold at Black Belt.

1 Like