2017-2018 NFL Season

3 Likes

I just don’t see Foles staying a backup with his current stock as high as it is… Philly is either starting Foles or losing Foles. I don’t see Foles being a content backup as a SB MVP.
SB MVP’s don’t ride the pine…

In many situations, I would agree with you.

But this is a particularly unique situation:

1. Let’s get this straight: Philly is absolutely, positively not replacing Wentz with Foles. Once Wentz is healthy, it’s his team. Wentz was going to be the NFL MVP this year. As I said above, Wentz spent an entire season playing the way Foles did the last two playoff games. I played college football, I watch football very critically and generally don’t get too carried away with highs or lows of the game, and I mean it when I say Wentz has the “best-QB-of-his-generation” look to him. Not just based on stats, but the way he controls the game and makes plays that shouldn’t be there.

2. Wentz’s injury does make it more likely than it would otherwise be that Philly will bring Foles back. Foles is under contract for next year at a high-but-reasonable price for a backup QB, and with Wentz still on a rookie deal, the outlay of cash at the QB position is still lower than it will be for most NFL teams next year. Philly has a title-caliber team right now, and for teams with that window open, it’s a little more worth it than usual to carry two established quarterbacks.

The decision is in Philly’s court. Foles could demand a trade, but Philly doesn’t have to agree to that unless they get a very, very good offer for him. Kansas City just got a third-rounder and a starting DB for Alex Smith; while Foles just won the Super Bowl MVP award, Alex Smith has a long track record of solid play, and despite the glow of the Super Bowl MVP it’s hard to imagine Foles fetching more than that. As I said above, I wouldn’t trade Foles for anything less than a first-round pick, or maybe a second-rounder plus a solid player on a good contract.

1. I get what you’re saying that you don’t think Foles would be content as a backup, but there are a couple additional pieces of context here that you may not fully understand or appreciate. Foles has already been around the block in the NFL and had chances to start elsewhere; he was so dispirited after a negative experience with the Rams that he nearly retired, and I don’t think he’s eager to relive that experience, so you can cross off him wanting to play for a shitty team like the Browns or the Jets. He’s legitimately happy in Philly with some excellent QB-friendly coaches that maximized his talent. He and Wentz are pals. If Philly wants him back, I could absolutely see him coming back (at least for next year) and then testing the free-agent market in 2019. You saw what Garoppolo just got paid; you know Cousins is on the market this year; Foles could potentially be the headliner of next year’s QB free agent class. Even from the business standpoint, he might be better off coming back as Wentz’s caddy next year and hitting the market in 2019.

I think Foles stays put unless Philly gets an offer they can’t refuse for him. And I would be a little reluctant to pony up that price, if I were a QB-needy team. Remember, three fuckin’ weeks ago, everyone still thought Philly was dead in the water because of Foles. I think he’s a top-20ish QB in the League and more than capable of starting for a good team, as we just saw, but has everyone really changed their minds on him that much (with six years in the League and 40-plus starts) after two hot games? Does anyone really think he’s a franchise QB, or is he “capable guy that played the best ball of his life when surrounded by a great team and coaching staff?”

3 Likes

haha I know, I know but just watch. They have some talent on both sides of the ball and lots to work with via draft and salary cap space.

1 Like

They definitely have a lot of potential. I’m just bustin your balls.

1 Like

Vikings fans, or anybody really. What would you think of this scenario for the off season? I believe it’s realistic and will make the Vikings even more competitive.

Start by freeing up even more cap space by restructuring Rudy and either cutting or restructuring both Murray(overpaid) and Robison(old). Also cutting Sharrif Floyd. That should clear up at least 7 million to give the Vikings around 56 million in cap space.

In free agency, Vikings get Cousins and Pugh, 27 million per year and 4-6 million per year respectively for each. Also wouldn’t mind grabbing a nickel corner(Newman is old and Alexander struggled) like Patrick Robinson for cheap and kicking the tires on Kony Ealy for a cheap back up role. We need more rushers to give Everson and Hunter a rest. Ealy still has potential as we saw how dominant he was in the Superbowl a couple of years ago. Just needs the right coach and Zimmer/ Patterson would be those guys.

In the draft, they trade back to the 2nd round and scoop up Billy Price to play right guard or one of the top tackles. I’ve seen Connor Williams fall to the 2nd in some mocks. The O line would look like this in order from left to right.
Reiff, Pugh, Elflein, Price, Remmers or Reiff, Pugh, Elflein, Remmers moves to right guard and Connor Williams. HUUUUGE upgrade to the O line from last year. Dalvin would have a field day.

Now, Vikings use that additional pick they got from trading back and give up their original 2nd rounder and 5th(what I think they would get for moving back) and move up for the extremely good pass rushing DT out of Stanford,Harrison Phillips.That would give the Vikings an even more dominant D line with Griffen, Phillips, Joseph and Hunter. I feel like that was the one thing missing last year from the defense was a pass rush from the middle.

I would love for this scenario to come to fruition. Thoughts?

This Dick Sherman signing makes me sick. I fucking hate that guy. I never even liked him all that much when he was at Stanford.

Regardless, the Niners are going to have homefield throughout the playoffs this year, and you fucking fags heard it here first.

That’s right, DBCooper is back and ready to lay down some serious avatar wagers on the Niners when the season starts up!

The NFC West is going to be a joke this year. The Rams are overrated, Goff is a fucking fraud who looks like the next coming of Matt Ryan. They’ll probably go 9-7, maybe 10-6. Plus, the Niners play four against the AFC West, which should be good for 4 easy wins right there. I will personally be there to see them slaughter the Raiders, who are easily the most pathetic team west of Cleveland. Toss in a last-place schedule, and you’ve got yourself a recipe for a 13-3 record.

Here are all the avatar bets I’m willing to entertain:

1. The Niners win the Super Bowl. I laid down 500 bucks for them to win it all, at 20-1 odds, so I’m definitely willing to bet some seriously gay avatars on that one.

2. The Niners finish with the best record in the NFL.

3. The Niners finish with the best record in the NFC.

4. The Niners beat the Raiders by triple whatever the spread happens to be.

5. The Niners start the year going 8-0 against the spread.

Do you believe that Giarraputo will start every game this season?

Nah, they’ll probably rest him the last week of the season.

1 Like

Dolphins are set to release Suh…so there’s that as well, rebuilding, rebuilding, re…uh, building?

Yes, Building. Still…

1 Like

I do, now. Surrounded by a good team of course he can be successful. Sometimes it takes time for guys, especially QB’s to develop and ‘Flip the switch’ so to speak. No, I don’t think he’s better than Wentz, but he’s better than a lot in a QB starved league. I think Foles has found his groove in the NFL. And if I were Philly, I would hang on for a high price, because they can. I agree with your summation. You know the team better than I do. But don’t be surprised if someone doesn’t hand out a 1st rounder for him. I don’t think any of the upcoming rookies are ready to start.
I would have to say Allen and Mayfield are the most ready, but they shouldn’t start week 1.
If a team needs a week 1 starter, I would go with Foles over a rookie. Just not Cleveland, anybody who goes to Cleveland will die, just like the rest.

A lot of people have said, ‘Oh Cleveland has a good roster this year, they may actually contend!’ and every year the same last place story. The could have a pro bowl roster and find a way to suck. Until that management changes, there is no hope for Cleveland.

Why the fuck did the Vikes get rid of all 3 potentially starting QB’s for Cousins? I like Cousins, but I don’t think he’s better than Keenum. I could see get rid of 2 but keep the starter you know can and has been successful?
Do you really prefer Cousins over Keenum? I guess there may have been a contract situation. Cousins is to streaky for me. Hot or cold. I prefer a steadier hand at QB.

1 Like

I agree with this. Foles is clearly a capable starter when surrounded by a talented team. That doesn’t make him a top-10 QB, but he clearly is a guy you can win ballgames with. Beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl certainly counts for something.

My minimum price is a first-rounder and a starting player (or maybe a first- AND a second-rounder). Anything less, no deal, for me. Second rounder and a player? Depends how good the player is and how long he’s under contract.

You’re asking the wrong question here, at the end. Foles is clearly better as a week 1 starter than any of the rookies. But the rebuilding teams who are interested in drafting Darnold, Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield aren’t worried about their week 1 starter, they just need a bridge dude that can take snaps for a few weeks/months, and they’ve all signed one already (Jets: kept McCown, signed Bridgewater; Cardinals: signed Bradford; Browns: signed Tyrod Taylor; Broncos: signed Case Keenum; Bills: signed AJ McCarron). Who else needs that QB just to fill the seat for a few weeks until their presumed rookie savior is ready?

Foles is better than several of those guys (maybe all of them), but nobody is going to sacrifice more assets to have a slightly better bridge QB if they’re planning to draft Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield. The Jets are absolutely fine with starting Josh McCown instead of Nick Foles (or at least, they’re not going to give up the other assets it would take to get Foles).

I think the more likely scenario, at this time, is the Eagles holding onto Foles through the draft into August and waiting on 2 things: one, is Wentz rehabbing well enough that it looks like he’ll be ready in week 1, and two, has any other team lost their star QB to an injury or unforeseen circumstances & are they desperate enough to cough up a 2019 first rounder for Foles (note: this is what the Eagles did in 2016 with Bradford, when Bridgewater got hurt). I don’t think Foles is going anywhere before the draft unless somebody steps up with a really big offer that they just can’t refuse.

You make good points. I can’t argue.

Even though Sam has a tremendously talented arm, he can’t be trusted with his degenerative knee. Teddy is a wildcard with his knee as well and I never thought he was that good to begin with. Keenum may have just been a flash in the pan. He wasn’t very good at going through his reads and missed too many throws.They never seemed to have full confidence in him. I think if Shurmur stayed, Vikings brass would’ve been more inclined to keep him but 20 million is quite a bit for him.

I absolutely do. Cousins has been consistent and healthy for his 3 years as a starter. Not too often does a QB who has thrown for 4000+ yards and 25 tds in each of his last 3 seasons become available. I’m excited to see what he can do under Defilippo’s scheme with Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Cook and a legit defense.

1 Like

Well, all good points I can’t argue.

Lol. I can’t believe that was even a discussion. Cousins put up three straight solid seasons playing for an absolute clown-car of a franchise. His ceiling and floor are both significantly higher than any of the three QBs they had. I’ll take the Cousins-backed-up-by-Siemian pairing seven days a week over Keenum / Bridgewater / Bradford. They deserve credit for handling this well last year (to have enough depth so they had someone decent ready to go) and then upgrading when they had a shot. Their title window is open right now. The Cousins deal is a lot of money but also relatively short, they aren’t stuck with him forever, and he’s certainly good enough to be worth that right now.

2 Likes

Bradford isn’t the answer for my Cards but when you don’t have anyone you gotta grab someone. Everyone is raising hell about the $20m to Bradford. With the $15m guaranteed it puts him pay wise as the 18th qb and if he earns the other $5m he’ll still only be the 16th highest paid. The 49ers and Vikes set the qb market at ape shit levels. Can’t wait to see what Prescott will be doing to the market when he comes up. $35m+ a year and $100m guaranteed